Is the Bass on the Sennheiser HD598's good?
Mar 19, 2012 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

csf101

Head-Fier
Okay, I'm seriously almost sold on these headphones. The more I look into them, the more I want them. My final question is though, is the Bass on them good? I've been told that it's good and bad from many different people. I also really don't want to buy an amp for it unless I can find one really cheap for it. So is the Bass on these headphones good for Rap, Hip-Hop, and other genres good out of the box with no Amp?

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 13
Depends on how you define "good."  There certainly won't be all that much of it, and that honestly doesn't lend itself very well to those particular genres.  Depends on what you're into though.  But rap and hip-hop don't need large expansive soundstages and the like...have you ever looked into something like the Denon D2000?  It's at a relatively similar price and definitely has more bass punch than the 598.

But the 598 is still a pretty good pair of headphones, they're just not entirely my type.  (I have the 595 but I've heard the 598 briefly - they are very similar, but the 598 is a little more open with a bit more treble if I recall)

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
But the 598 is still a pretty good pair of headphones, they're just not entirely my type.  (I have the 595 but I've heard the 598 briefly - they are very similar, but the 598 is a little more open with a bit more treble if I recall)

Ha ha  !
Hd595 most regretted headphone by head-fier according to my own counting :
http://www.head-fi.org/t/472745/headphones-you-regretted-buying-the-most/945#post_8233521

Off course the result might differ, if you consider that k702/k701 sound the same for instance.
Anyway, the hd595 was one of the most hyped headphone, and today there's people that "regrets" them.

Now I've been told the hd598 kick the ass of the hd595, I'm skeptical to say the least.
And the price has increased !

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 13
Well, my primary genres are Rock and Rap, but yeah, this is what I was worried about.

How is the sound quality on your D2000's DaBomb? Do you think that they'll be good for Rock and Heavy Metal too?

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #6 of 13
For those genres, it will be just OK. Don't think I could suggest it. The HD-600 would be slightly better, but that requires an amp. I actually think it sounds good without one sometimes, but still wouldn't buy it with no amp.

You could try the DT-770 Pro 80 or M50 instead. D2000 is also OK. I actually would only suggest the M50 without an amp. Despite what people say, I don't really like the D2000 or Pro 80 without amps.

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
For those genres, it will be just OK. Don't think I could suggest it. The HD-600 would be slightly better, but that requires an amp. I actually think it sounds good without one sometimes, but still wouldn't buy it with no amp.

You could try the DT-770 Pro 80 or M50 instead. D2000 is also OK. I actually would only suggest the M50 without an amp. Despite what people say, I don't really like the D2000 or Pro 80 without amps.

Cool. :) I think that the M50's are really cool looking. How would you compare the M50 to the Beats (for the Bass, mainly).

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #8 of 13
Okay, I'm seriously almost sold on these headphones. The more I look into them, the more I want them. My final question is though, is the Bass on them good? I've been told that it's good and bad from many different people. I also really don't want to buy an amp for it unless I can find one really cheap for it. So is the Bass on these headphones good for Rap, Hip-Hop, and other genres good out of the box with no Amp?

Heya,

I think you will find the hd598 to be fairly shy on bass, in particular sub bass, and it won't be a very pleasing experience considering your genres.

Look into:

Breyer dt770
Maudio q40
Denon d2000
Shure srh750
Ultrasone hfi 780

Very best,

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:

Now I've been told the hd598 kick the ass of the hd595, I'm skeptical to say the least.
And the price has increased !

What's interesting is there are a lot of people out there that dislike the HD-555/595, but love the 598. I'm definitely one of them.
The 598 doesn't sound anything like my old modded HD-555 thankfully.

$250 for the HD-598 is a joke! Considering it has the build quality of a cheap children's toy. Take the pads off it and you will see for yourself. When I drilled a hole in it, it took almost zero effort due to the thin plastic.
HD-598 IMO is a nice, but not $250 worth of sound. $200 is fair, but even then it's a bit high.

There's nothing else out there that sounds like the HD-598 though and Sennheiser knows this..

I guess AKG is just as bad now with their $300 K550..

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #10 of 13
In no uncertain terms...no. I found this to be a very good hp but all about the highs and mids. Great detail but really anemic on the bass tbh. 

Mar 19, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:

I dunno, the D2000 is pretty sensitive and will work fine without an amp...I don't actually own it though, I've only really listened to it for a few minutes at an audio store.  I think it would be excellent for metal and genres with lots of bass though, given its signature.  Can't comment on the HD-600 though, I've never heard it...but they are really expensive now.

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 13
Hey guys, 
I can tell this thread seems kind of dead, but for what it's worth, I thought I might just put in my two cents.

I've got the HD598s and I've had them for over a year and I love them. For the longest time I always just had them plugged straight into my computer and I think they did sound really great, but as most people have said, maybe just a little neutral/weak in the bass and I always wanted to try them with a decent amp, but could never really afford it.

Finally though, I ended needing to buy a new amp for my speakers and I ended up with a Yamaha RX-770, which has a great reputation and, for $150 was a great find. As far as my headphones are concerned, it's great! I can understand that they probably won't have gotten as much improvement as some other high impedence headphones, but there definitely has been a great improvement to their overall dynamics and power, with the most noticeable improvement being in filling out of the low end. It has significantly improved the overall low end authority and has given thme great super low end extension. They still aren't 'bass-focused' headphones, but as they are at the moment and for the music I listen to, I would actually be apprehensive about trying something with much more bass, otherwise it would start to take over the sound signature.

The amps's a pretty meaty thing, putting out over 100 watts for my speakers at 6ohms, plus I think something that has also helped in producing great bass with these cans is the well-above average damping factor of around 240.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts.

Apr 3, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #13 of 13
I tested these out in store....everything about them was better than my DT 770 except bass. They have virtually none. Comfort 10/10. Clamp 10/10 Mirange/Treble clarity 10/10 LOVED them.... but dang I heard no bass what-so-ever.

I have the CAD audio 510 but I'm selling those simply based on comfort. They sound great but they are just too ON my ear. The DT 770 aren't even good enough for me but mine are so beat up I woujldn't get back my investment if I sold them. They need new pads for 100% but have some plastic that needs replacing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back