Is the Audioengine D1 DAC good to pair with the Audio Technica M50?
Dec 24, 2012 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

arcsurfer

New Head-Fier
Ok so I'm new to this website but I've been reading the forums quit a bit for some product knowledge. I've just recently got into the headphone realm and purchased a pair of ATH-M50's (I know these aren't the holy grail of headphones...but I like them). I've been looking at DACs to get for them and I've decided on the Audioengine D1. 

So I have a few questions in regards to the pairing of the two?

1. Will It really make that much of a difference in audio quality? (I listened to mostly FLAC.)
2. Is the D1 a DAC or a DAC/Headphone AMP? (Some Sites say it is, others just say DAC)
3. The ATH-M50's are a low ohm headphone, they shouldn't require amplification, correct?

Thanks, 
Troy

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 5
The M50's I thought were okay and I tried them on a number of amps and a couple of DACs. All of sudden though, I played them with my HiFiMan EF2A and it was like someone threw a switch and the light came. They sounded terrific and I didn't want to put them down. The EF2 tubes were swapped with matched Mullards and burned in for a good while, and they made the M50's come to life. Oh, and I do have the D1 DAC and the M50 sounds okay enough, but not the wow factor I got on the HiFiMan DAC/amp. No affiliation, no axe to grind, no vested interest. Cheers. P.S., to my ears velour ear cushions helped my enjoyment as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back