Is the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 really the best headphone all over the world?
Jul 30, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #16 of 35
The ATH-M50 after the years that it's been on the market is still one of the best headphones for the price*, unless you really don't like a balanced sound signature. Yeah, the highs measure kinda uneven but the peak (in the mid-treble) and the dip (in the lower treble) are pretty narrow and not that high in amplitude. Personally, it's not enough for me to bother with EQing. I use a FiiO E07K amp/DAC though, so your sound (and your ears) may vary. I remember plugging the M50 straight into my iPod and the treble imbalance was noticeable. "S" sounds and some cymbals/hihats sounded too sharp. The sound is definitely smoother with the E07K. The bass is maybe a couple decibels above what is considered neutral, and the mids are as flat as can be.

To the OP - the highs are definitely not shrill or screaming, though if you're listening out of an iPod or most computers/laptops the aforementioned treble imbalance might bother you. Also, the highs sound smoother after a short break-in period.

*I am assuming a price of $100. MSRP is $159 but it's possible to get the M50 for $100. soundprofessionals.com often puts the M50 on sale. At $159 the M50 has a bit more competition, especially when some $200+ headphones are on sale.

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:
If by best ever you mean out of $80-120 price range, of closed over ear headphones. 

Sure, probably they are. 

How can that be when the Audio Technica ATH-A900x absolutely destroys the M-50 in every possible way?

The only drawback to the A900x is the AT wing system which is not for everyone.

But the OP of this thread sounds like someone that is attempting to stir up some more sales for his business possibly?
rolleyes.gif

Jul 30, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #18 of 35
The M50s are just the easiest recommendation for entry level audiophiles, especially with the massive number of people who own them versus other headphones in that price range. They're the jack of all trades, but the master of none. Their v-shaped, warm sound signature is appealing to most people, and it sounds good with many genres of music. You pair that with the price they're asking for, and they're one of the best headphones in that price range.

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #19 of 35
I am using the limited edition red ones as I type this. They are my personal favorite because they're easy to use when mobile for an ipod or phone, but also great in the studio. I feel that the bass is very smooth, and the treble doesn't seem sharp to me. The mids can sound a little bit lower, but that's okay. These are great sounding headphones. I can compare them with more expensive sennheisers, bose, etc., but the price I paid for mine was 130.  I have Beats Pro, and to be honest they are pretty heavy, which is a con, but they are built great. They don't sound as bass heavy as some of the other beats but still have some trouble with music clarity.

I will 100% recommend the ath m50, or even the lower priced m40x headphones to anybody interested in a great pair of cans, because I have used these for recording purposes, gaming headphones, mobile use (I have the coiled cable and shortened the straight part of it, so it isn't as long).

hope this helps.

Aug 20, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #21 of 35
I know this is an old thread, butp people will be reading this in the future. My ath m50s are hands down the best value for the price. Because I paid 65 new from a friend :wink: but the sound signature youre talking about reminds me of the sony xb 500 and xb series.

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #22 of 35
Some people don't consider it as the best for the price (though I can't think of anything better), even generally without a specific description of what someone is looking for. The V-Moda M100  mentioned is often considered an upgrade to it (but is around twice the price) to answer the OP.

Dec 31, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #23 of 35
I just bought these headphones and let me explain why

For the price nothing was better.

And every other headphone model I tried...( and I tried over 80 in the store) that was more expensive, to me, it didnt sound a couple of hundred dollars better.

do all the other expensive models sound better then the ath-m50? maybe, but not hundreds of dollar better

I couldnt see my self spending more money because the quality of the other headphones didnt justify their price

Dec 31, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #24 of 35
M50's are an icon. They're a super model, a famous actor, has brains, has looks, popular. CAL's are on par in sound quality(even similar sound sig) but nowhere near as pretty, actually kinda ugly and fragile. Then there are Superluxes for 30 dollars that destroy almost everything under 199 dollars but open/leak sound and don't have the same quality of bass most ppl would prefer. Then you could go up another hundred dollars and not be happy with the headphones whether it is due to looks or sound signature or comfort.

M50's aren't the best headphones of all time, but they are a superstar. 

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #26 of 35
I'm one of the few who dislikes the ATH-M50.  I do not like its sound signature, I don't consider recessed mids and this much treble balanced.  V-shaped seems appropriate to me which is far from my taste, and it has practically zero sound stage.  They are iconic though, and clearly they do a lot of things right.  There are a number of worthwhile headphones in its price range with different sound signatures and for different tastes, so there definitely is "better" in its price range depending on what you're looking for.

True Hi-Fi gear blows away headphones in this price range though.  You get what you pay for. 

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #27 of 35
  I'm one of the few who dislikes the ATH-M50.  I do not like its sound signature, I don't consider recessed mids and this much treble balanced.  V-shaped seems appropriate to me which is far from my taste, and it has practically zero sound stage.  They are iconic though, and clearly they do a lot of things right.  There are a number of worthwhile headphones in its price range with different sound signatures and for different tastes, so there definitely is "better" in its price range depending on what you're looking for.

True Hi-Fi gear blows away headphones in this price range though.  You get what you pay for. 

I listened to 80 headphones with amps and other stuff today at BnH in NYC.

the only one that sounded better then the m50x was the mofi blue. I might get them and return these....

mofi company is no joke when it comes to audiophile...its maybe one of the best companies in the world

can you explain what you mean by v shaped?

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #28 of 35

I listened to 80 headphones with amps and other stuff today at BnH in NYC.

the only one that sounded better then the m50x was the mofi blue. I might get them and return these....

mofi company is no joke when it comes to audiophile...its maybe one of the best companies in the world

can you explain what you mean by v shaped?

V-shaped sound signature means boosted bass and treble, and recessed mids in comparison.

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #29 of 35
I have just bought the ATH M50, and I think they are the best for my intended usage: office headphones. I find them comfortable enough to wear for hours at a time, and the closed-back design is great for passively blocking out most noise from colleagues. I think most people will agree that they are among the best sounding headphones in its price range. Speaking of price, they are cheap enough that I dare to keep them in my office. They are also easily light enough to drive that they can be plugged straight into my Macbook. They are perfect for the purpose, but that does not make them the best headphones in the world.

In my opinion the ATH M50 sound at least as good - and probably better - than the Bose QC15 with twice the price tag. Despite that I would highly recommend the Bose headphones to anyone who travels as much as I do; preserving my sanity during long-haul flights is easily worth $300 to me.

I also use a pair of Koss Porta Pro on a regular basis. They are my preferred headphones when I want to listen to music while going for a walk. Living in a city, I do not want to wear a pair of actively or passively noise-cancelling headphones on the street; I much prefer discovering cars by hearing them instead of by being hit by them, thank you. If you are looking for a pair of small, light, open-back headphones, the Koss are certainly tough to beat.

This just goes to show that even for one person, there is no such thing as "the best headphones" without specifying the intended purpose. I already have three best headphones, and I am still looking for the best headphones to use at home.

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #30 of 35
It is all very personal. Some people change their gear all the time, and are frustrated, they not have the next "best thing".....

Listening to music on headphones, is also particular. I have B&W 800 D speakers, I like the music fill the room, give me the impression hearing it live.  I use my headphones, when travelling, on the beach, so very expensive one's are out of the question. I had the Koss too, but after 2 pairs broke down easy, I looked for a good sounding headphone, that would not ruin me and give me a lot of pleasure.

I not bought the ATH - M50, don't even know how it compare with my ATH E 57. But as long that I go cans, that are pleasant, not to aggressive and tiring on my Fiio X 3, then I keep going, with them until they break, I not care what is the best, I care about what gives me pleasure. And who knows if my cans break, I buy the new  model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back