Is the ATH W1000 better than the HD 650?
Jan 19, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's one of the amp I like to try.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you ever find yourself in San Diego we can work something out
wink.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandal
Is this true? If so; why don't I see more W1000 users here?
To get back to your original question -- Neither is better than the other, although as you have found out, people have strong preferences for one or the other, based on their musical tastes and sonic priorities.

Full disclosure first: I own both the W1000 and HD650.

The arguement as to which is better reminds me of a similar arguement back in the 1970's. Acoustic Research and KLH represented the laid-back, polite East Coast Sound and JB Lansing and Altec represented the up-front, punchy West Coast Sound. There were strong advocates for each approach and, like audiophiles today, the arguements persisted from those who saw this as polarizing, rather than opportunistic.

While I believe that there are quite a few W1000 (and W5000) users here, they simply may not choose to post as much due to the flames that sometimes come from the less open minded.

If you have ever performed a digital room correction/equalization on your listening room, you may have found out that accoustically flat may translate as lacking some low-end warmth and maybe a bit too much high end. I think the Audio Technica engineers have measured and designed their phones with a somewhat similar approach -- no artificial sweeteners -- "just the facts ma'am".

On the other hand, the Sennheisers have gotten a progressively more prominent "warming-up" when moving from the HD580 to the HD650 which sounds pleasing and is preferred by many to create a more enjoyable listening experience.

We could go on about how the original recording varies greatly from the truth, requiring headphones to compensate, but that's another time and another thread.

Bottom line, both are great phones driven by different design and listening philosophies. I enjoy both very much (when not listening to my Stax
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

Originally Posted by Vandal
Is this true? If so; why don't I see more W1000 users here?
To get back to your original question -- Neither is better than the other, although as you have found out, people have strong preferences for one or the other, based on their musical tastes and sonic priorities.

Full disclosure first: I own both the W1000 and HD650.

The arguement as to which is better reminds me of a similar arguement back in the 1970's. Acoustic Research and KLH represented the laid-back, polite East Coast Sound and JB Lansing and Altec represented the up-front, punchy West Coast Sound. There were strong advocates for each approach and, like audiophiles today, the arguements persisted from those who saw this as polarizing, rather than opportunistic.

While I believe that there are quite a few W1000 (and W5000) users here, they simply may not choose to post as much due to the flames that sometimes come from the less open minded.

If you have ever performed a digital room correction/equalization on your listening room, you may have found out that accoustically flat may translate as lacking some low-end warmth and maybe a bit too much high end. I think the Audio Technica engineers have measured and designed their phones with a somewhat similar approach -- no artificial sweeteners -- "just the facts ma'am".

On the other hand, the Sennheisers have gotten a progressively more prominent "warming-up" when moving from the HD580 to the HD650 which sounds pleasing and is preferred by many to create a more enjoyable listening experience.

We could go on about how the original recording varies greatly from the truth, requiring headphones to compensate, but that's another time and another thread.

Bottom line, both are great phones driven by different design and listening philosophies. I enjoy both very much (when not listening to my Stax
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

Very well said. As I also own the cans mentioned above, save the Stax, IMO, there's not much more to add. I will say that, though the W1Ks are not my favourite cans, the W1K / Yammy combo is my favourite by far.

Cheers,
Garry

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the reason why the W1000 isn't mentioned often here is that they are hard to get and most people who want the AT woodies will just go for the W5000.

But isn't it like 500$ VS 1500$?? And why hard to get? I bought my A900 from audiocubes, its available there.

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
W5000 is only $699 or more brand-new and around $550 for the used one.

Can you provide a link where I can buy one at that price? Because headroom says well over 1000$ and audiocubes has it at 899$.

Jan 19, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #39 of 42
Thank you both...

Jan 19, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AD2000 certainly is one of the best rock phones you can get. If you think that they don't have enough warmth, you need to change your amplifier. The AD700 and AD900 are indeed lacking in bass at times, but on the flip side its exciting, sweet forward mids with great prat makes them a good choice as a rock can. It's not like rock is a basshead genre, so bass shouldn't be the only factor in determining what makes a good rock can.

I have tubes for them. Then they tend to lose the transparency they are so good at, not to mention dynamics. I am looking at a b22 though. Good to know that they will sound good with low-impedance phones and especially with the ad2000s also. At some point I will purchase a pair of HD800s too.

About rock. I think you do need a little bass warmth, when especially pretty much most of the great rock/prog albums were made in the 70s and are not fantastically mastered. So it will give in a little. Plus the AD2000's are rather delicate/polite sounding phones, lacking punch a bit. (haven't tried them with a proper amp yet and i have come to the conclusion that they are heavily amp-dependent). If I could only afford a Zana Deux..
frown.gif

Anyway, I'd be going for the w1000s as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #41 of 42
The W1000`s does not "need" an amp to sound good, it does sound even better though with the right amplifier. I frequently listen to my W1000`s straight out of my Cowon D2 (with FLAC files). The Cowon has no problem reaching eardamaging volume with the W1000`s, however the sound is a bit flat and veiled compared to my home setup. At home I`m listening through a diy Darling tube amp. It really complements the W1000`s
atsmile.gif

Also, the W1000`s are one of the most comfortable headsets you`l ever put on your head. I stop noticing they`re there after a few minutes

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #42 of 42
I had the HD-650's for a while - various amps and even tried them on a borrowed Slee solo with the expensiver PSU. Nice but still not quite what I was looking for.
I had a couple of other 'budget' phones after the Senn's - won't bore you with the details... Then I took a punt on some W1000's 2nd hand.

I started out driving them with my Benchmark Dac1 for CD's and MF X-Cans3 (inc Rock Grotto mods) for Phono. The Benchmark Dac did not seem to suit them very well. Preferred the sound on the X-Cans. So listened to them only through the XCan's.
Then a Slee solo came up and I bought it. I am finding it better than the X-Can's.
I like most of what the the W1000's can do but still wonder if I am getting the best out of them.
The bass is tight and fast - not as thunderous as the DT770's Pro's I also have and the mids are not quite as engaging as the Ear Equation RP21's but they are all over the place elsewhere in comparison.
Overall the whole family prefer them instantly to the other above phones - not
surprising.

I will have to live with this combo for a while now as money from ProAc D25 sale is all but gone... It did go a long way though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back