Is the ATH W1000 better than the HD 650?
Jan 18, 2009 at 12:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Vandal

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Posts
708
Likes
10
I've read a couple of reviews; one on 6moons and the other at some other site (can't recall) which seem to indicate that the W1000 smokes the HD 650. On 6moons however, the verdict is that its connect is much better than the senn and is a saving as one needn't upgrade later. Obviously being 40 ohms it doesn't really need great amping.

Is this true? If so; why don't I see more W1000 users here?
 
Jan 18, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 42

Vandal

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Posts
708
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No.
And the fact that the W1000 are 40 Ohm does not mean they don't need great amping.



Sir, I point you here -
6moons audio reviews: Moon Audio Silver & Blue Dragon

Go to the bottom part of the page. Also the fact that they're 499$ opposed to the HD 650 which are 350$ came to my mind.

Understand that I'm not disputing anything anyone will say because at this stage I simply do not know better to judge. I'm just trying to verify facts is all...
 
Jan 18, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 42

Kees

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 18, 2006
Posts
4,619
Likes
24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sir, I point you here -
6moons audio reviews: Moon Audio Silver & Blue Dragon

Go to the bottom part of the page. Also the fact that they're 499$ opposed to the HD 650 which are 350$ came to my mind.

Understand that I'm not disputing anything anyone will say because at this stage I simply do not know better to judge. I'm just trying to verify facts is all...



I know the review, I know the reviewer and I know what they cost.
What is your point?
I still find the W1000 definitely not better than the HD650 (for me it is definitely the other way around).
The combination with the right amp will make them or break them (either of them) and personal taste is always the deciding factor.
 
Jan 18, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #6 of 42

vvanrij

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 23, 2008
Posts
2,961
Likes
17
People should stop looking at frequency graphs and prices to determine which headphone they want.
 
Jan 18, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #9 of 42

Snacks

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 24, 2006
Posts
901
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sir, I point you here -
6moons audio reviews: Moon Audio Silver & Blue Dragon

Go to the bottom part of the page. Also the fact that they're 499$ opposed to the HD 650 which are 350$ came to my mind.

Understand that I'm not disputing anything anyone will say because at this stage I simply do not know better to judge. I'm just trying to verify facts is all...



Taste is a matter of opinion.

From my recollection, I have never read of the guys over a 6moon being in favor of how the HD 650 produces music. Also, many of the folks over there love many phones (STAX, ATH W1000, K1000, etc.) for many reasons...same as we do here when you really think about it.

Heck one of the reviews was done from recollection of the HD 650. That's the one where the W1000 was matched up with the Yamamoto, (good looking combo) which was probably a match made in heaven; Idunno.

Better depends on how you like your music served to you, i.e. rare, medium or well done. Fact: it's a long (never ending), drawn out and complicated process for most. No way anyone says which is better than the other (for you) based on sound. Looks, materials design, maybe.
 
Jan 18, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #10 of 42

electropop

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 23, 2008
Posts
1,445
Likes
21
Aww guys. Don't be so harsh!
smily_headphones1.gif
That's a blunt and an ignorant (but true) way of stating things..

But anyway. Let's try to be constructive (this is not constructive feedback
smily_headphones1.gif
). What kind of music do you listen to and what do you have for reference? ie. Do you have any type of sound signature in mind, since these sound quite different from each other..?

-K
 
Jan 18, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #11 of 42

Vandal

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Posts
708
Likes
10
Thanks electropop, for the valuable comments . As you mention; I don't really know what's better and for my benefit wanted to ask a question. My job leaves me with little time to read up except on weekends and that is what I was doing. I listen to a lot of Dire Straits, U2, Peter Cetera, A-Ha, Led Zeppelin, Metallica. But there is a lot more I listen to; it varies according to mood.

^^ Someone above asked me what my point was. I guess some senior members may be annoyed by my ignorant queries. But the fact is - I honestly do not know.

QQQ, thanks for correcting my knowledge about impedance; apologies. But then how am I to learn if not by asking? What I really meant was the W1000 doesn't need amping as bad as the HD 650. Am I correct?

Sitting in Mumbai, India, I definitely do not have access to tidy sums of cash, nor do I get a chance to preview all the wonderful gear at stores, meets, members' places etc.

Every reply I read adds to my knowledge, so thank you.
 
Jan 18, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #12 of 42

QQQ

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 18, 2007
Posts
2,575
Likes
16
Quote:

I listen to a lot of Dire Straits, U2, Peter Cetera, A-Ha, Led Zeppelin, Metallica. But there is a lot more I listen to; it varies according to mood.


For this music HD 650 way better than AT.
 
Jan 18, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #13 of 42

WittyzTH

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 26, 2007
Posts
1,366
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how am I to learn if not by asking? What I really meant was the W1000 doesn't need amping as bad as the HD 650. Am I correct?


It depends on how users mean "need". Some of audio-technicas esp. the W series are very picky. They need match amp to make them shine such as W1000 with Yamamoto and W5000 with HA5000.

So to me, I can say they need to be amped to make them sound great.
smily_headphones1.gif
 
Jan 18, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #14 of 42

electropop

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 23, 2008
Posts
1,445
Likes
21
I agree that for that kind of music the hd650's would be better in general, but not necessarily to my ears. They sound decent from home-amplifiers/receivers but not so much from an integrated soundcard in a basic computer, for instance. What are you listening your music from?
The sound from h650's is a bit more laid back and softer by sound. To some (me too) the bass is too uncontrolled and can sound muffled on a basic system; a good solid state amp might cure that problem. They also sound a bit veiled, which in my opinion, is a great attribute in terms of forgiveness. If you have poorly mastered or compressed music, they don't punish you as harshly. Well actually neither do the w1000s. (I was thinking of the w5000 for a while, which is again a completely different game)
The W1000s are also a bit on the warm side, from what i recall, and deliver a nice punch. They don't have as much soundstage and as closed cans, sound a bit congested. They are also a bit brighter.

Now the amp question. It is true that both gain much from upgrading the source or amps, but the hd650s are more difficult to drive by a large margin. Since I don't really like the 650s dark signature, I'd choose the w1000 over them. I listen to a lot of progressive rock/jass/fusion, and they pack a nice punch and are not too harsh on any material..

-K
 
Jan 18, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #15 of 42

ambrosecarr

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 17, 2008
Posts
133
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to a lot of Dire Straits, U2, Peter Cetera, A-Ha, Led Zeppelin, Metallica. But there is a lot more I listen to; it varies according to mood.


That list also sounds like something which might appreciate Grado sound. Since you're considering ~$350-500 cans it might be a good idea to audition a mid-level Grado can before making your decision. They have a much more upfront sound which I really like with Zeppelin and Metallica, although I prefer Dire Straits on the HD650.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top