Is the Aeon #padgate finally coming to an end?
Jan 15, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #31 of 87
I don't think it's asking much to have ear pads that don't roll or have somewhat dodgy quality control. On the other hand, it's 2023, and you shouldn't have to massage your ear pads after every use because of poor design. Sort of a different topic, but look at Grado and the lack of removable cables; the difference is, you know, when buying those, it's not going to have a detachable cable in 2023. Aeon's, on the other hand, it's like the lottery if you're going to get pads that don't have this defect because it seems at least one side will have them, even with replacement pads.

TL;DR

In 2023, $899 (USD) headphones should come with two pads that don't have the rolling issue. However, DCA is a good guy, runs a great business, and seems to take care of its customers; but foam rolling pads should have been fixed a while ago.

Jan 16, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #32 of 87
I don't think it's asking much to have ear pads that don't roll or have somewhat dodgy quality control. On the other hand, it's 2023, and you shouldn't have to massage your ear pads after every use because of poor design. Sort of a different topic, but look at Grado and the lack of removable cables; the difference is, you know, when buying those, it's not going to have a detachable cable in 2023. Aeon's, on the other hand, it's like the lottery if you're going to get pads that don't have this defect because it seems at least one side will have them, even with replacement pads.

TL;DR

In 2023, $899 (USD) headphones should come with two pads that don't have the rolling issue. However, DCA is a good guy, runs a great business, and seems to take care of its customers; but foam rolling pads should have been fixed a while ago.

Not arguing that.

What I was providing a counterpoint to is the nonsensical 2 year long series of posts about this issue in every DCA related thread, even to the point of the latest posts on the DCA Noire thread, completely unsolicited criticism.

Sure it is a problem that should not exist but it appears that Dan Clark takes care of customers, I just think someone should get over it and move on.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #34 of 87
Was this issue ever fixed?
Dan claims they are addressing it, see my first post, the section starting with "Except! Something happened recently!"

I can confirm the Aeons (both open and closed) on Drop.com are still shipping the defective pads, and no one from Drop has confirmed they're shipping the non-padgate pads.

I have no idea about Amazon, but given my limited understanding about how Amazon supplies from their own warehouses, I highly doubt they're shipping the newer pads.

Other than Dan's comment, I haven't seen any retailer confirm they're shipping the non-padgate pads.

I personally do not recommend the Aeons today because of this reason.

Jul 12, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #36 of 87
At this price point you have an extreme amount of options that sound equally as good if not better depending upon taste. Vote with your dollars.

Jul 12, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #38 of 87
Jul 12, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #40 of 87
$400
I ordered the Aeon Closed X. I was told the Aeon Closed X was the best I could get at this price range.
I'd look around used. Also depends on music tastes. What are you trying to accomplish with the Aeon purchase?

Edit: if you already have a set ordered, may as well stick with it and see if you like them or not. I was just saying for the $400-600 range, especially used, there are plenty of options. If you are lucky, you may snag a set of used og focal clear on the cheap. Sendy aiva (spelling?) are also good planar for the money.

If you save up a bit more, I recently acquired a set of these. They sound pretty good for the price point. But I recommend a decent kit to drive them to their full potential.

https://sjyaudio.com/

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #41 of 87
I'd look around used. Also depends on music tastes. What are you trying to accomplish with the Aeon purchase?
I'm going to sound very snobby but I don't like used stuff.

What am I trying to accomplish? Well, I just want to upgrade from my WH-1000XM5. They aren't very good and started to break after a few months of owning them. Luckily amazon was good enough to refund me after months of owning them.

I'd love a pair of open-back headphones again, I owned a pair of Philips Fidelio X2s years ago and they were the best headphones I ever had, however I can't have open-back headphones anymore so I want closed-back.

I'm looking for a good pair of headphones that will be able to put up with at least 12 hours of use everyday (I am a programmer and a gamer so I spend an unhealthy amount of time at the computer)

Edit: Also I know this is such a boring response, but my music taste is literally so varied. I mainly listen to drum and bass, trance, rock but then I also listen to some phonk, traditional Slavic and Celtic music, etc. tldr, I listen to literally anything

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 1:19 AM Post #42 of 87
I'm going to sound very snobby but I don't like used stuff.

What am I trying to accomplish? Well, I just want to upgrade from my WH-1000XM5. They aren't very good and started to break after a few months of owning them. Luckily amazon was good enough to refund me after months of owning them.

I'd love a pair of open-back headphones again, I owned a pair of Philips Fidelio X2s years ago and they were the best headphones I ever had, however I can't have open-back headphones anymore so I want closed-back.

I'm looking for a good pair of headphones that will be able to put up with at least 12 hours of use everyday (I am a programmer and a gamer so I spend an unhealthy amount of time at the computer)

Edit: Also I know this is such a boring response, but my music taste is literally so varied. Sometimes I mainly listen to drum and bass, trance, rock but then I also listen to some phonk, traditional Slavic and Celtic music, etc. tldr, I listen to literally anything
I edited my original post.

I hear you on the used side of things, I used to be the same way. But buying damn near new sets from good sellers at close to half cost of new is an easy way to grow your collection and also see what you like the most. If new is a must you might seriously look at the SJY link I added. I also spend at least 8 to 9 hours in front of computer. Any zmf with suede pads has been my favorite, but those are out of your stated price range.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #43 of 87
But buying damn near new sets from good sellers at close to half cost of new is an easy way to grow your collection
I'm not looking to collect, I just want a good pair of cans that'll see me at least 12 hours a day and are good quality.
If new is a must you might seriously look at the SJY link I added.
Do you think I should cancel my Aeons and look at them then?

Jul 12, 2023 at 1:30 AM Post #44 of 87
I'm not looking to collect, I just want a good pair of cans that'll see me at least 12 hours a day and are good quality.

Do you think I should cancel my Aeons and look at them then?
The Aeon aren't bad, but I'd do research in the sound signature description by reviewers for SJY and see if the words they describe match what you are going for. A good reviewer can have you listening to them metaphorically before you've heard anything. Then I'd do the same for Aeon and go from there. The only knock I can say on the set that I mentioned is the headband could probably be a little bit better and the clamp is tight before adjusting headband.

Aeon is good bang for buck for sure.

HD650 are a classic also at that price point. Probably the best combination of sound and comfort.

When I had my Aeon noir, the leather cups would make my ears hot after an hour or two. HD650 is cloth.

I'm not trying to make this harder for you 😂

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 1:34 AM Post #45 of 87
The Aeon aren't bad, but I'd do research in the sound signature description by reviewers for SJY and see if the words they describe match what you are going for. A good reviewer can have you listening to them metaphorically before you've heard anything. Then I'd do the same for Aeon and go from there. The only knock I can say on the set that I mentioned is the headband could probably be a little bit better and the clamp is tight before adjusting headband.

Aeon is good bang for buck for sure.
It's so annoying, because I really liked the look of the Aeons. They have nice presentation, especially with the real carbon fibre on the sides. But I'm hearing crap about the pads having deformation issues and what not and it's just making me doubt my order..

I just don't want to be stuck with a pair of cans that I paid a decent amount of money for. (I know a lot of people here will probably laugh at that comment considering some headphones cost well over 3x that but it's a lot of money for me)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back