Is the Aeon #padgate finally coming to an end?
Oct 16, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #17 of 87
Hello,
Great report, it seems that almost every Aeon owner is affected.

Strangely I only have it on the left side that I have to tighten, the right side is always untouched.

Is there any news regarding the new pad model or is it just still going on?

I looked on the DCA site and found nothing.

I don't think they are going to claim on the warranty.
I asked the support the last year in July and heard about it for the first time and was fobbed off by the sue with the video.
They know how to do it which is a shame as it really is their fault.
At least it would be nice for Aeon owners to get at least a discount if they are out of warranty.

If I read it right, they''re gluing one more spot inside the foam to the faux leather.
That's not even an excessive cost to manufacture.

Oct 17, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #18 of 87
I asked the support the last year in July and heard about it for the first time and was fobbed off by the sue with the video.
They know how to do it which is a shame as it really is their fault.
At least it would be nice for Aeon owners to get at least a discount if they are out of warranty.
I am curious, how often have you had to replace the pads? Others have claimed that with moderate use one pad will become misshapen or cause imbalances within 2 weeks to a month of use. Having to replace pads like this is quite the money sink. In my case I am going to have to have them shipped to the US just for this under warranty, will be 1-3 months before I see them again, lol.

Oct 17, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #19 of 87
I still have the first set on when I bought the R/T.
If DCA already wants to offer an update, I'll wait for it and write to support again to at least hope for a discount.

I roll the pad back and it works even if it's annoying before I put on the headphones.

When I got my R/T new, I was plagued by creaking noises which I was able to eliminate by massaging the pad thinly with Elephants Wax.
That got rid of everything else and I'm happy with the R/T.
It serves as a mobile headphone or for lounging when I don't feel like going to the media room, together with the Hip Dac 2 it works very well.
So it's not always used, but rather as needed.

My main is the Auteur with the Feliks Euforia amplifier.

Oct 17, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #20 of 87
@Deleeh Very similar setup here. I have an ACX and an Auteur, and Hip Dac 2 & Qudelix as portable amps, RME ADI 2 and Quicksilver HA. Have very little problem with the pads. A little bit of roll on the left pad that needs massaging every few months. Amps and phones work well together! Enjoy!

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #21 of 87
I am curious, how often have you had to replace the pads? Others have claimed that with moderate use one pad will become misshapen or cause imbalances within 2 weeks to a month of use. Having to replace pads like this is quite the money sink. In my case I am going to have to have them shipped to the US just for this under warranty, will be 1-3 months before I see them again, lol.
I gave up after the third pair of replacement pads that DCA sent me started warping badly again within 2 weeks. My second pair was from Dekoni. The pad issue is a known warranty issue so they shipped me the third pair for free. They mishandled the first pads and told me it wasn't under warranty, after confronting them I learned that yes pad replacements are covered.

It's a hassle to keep requesting pad replacements though. I just don't recommend the headphones anymore.

Oct 23, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #22 of 87
I gave up after the third pair of replacement pads that DCA sent me started warping badly again within 2 weeks. My second pair was from Dekoni. The pad issue is a known warranty issue so they shipped me the third pair for free. They mishandled the first pads and told me it wasn't under warranty, after confronting them I learned that yes pad replacements are covered.

It's a hassle to keep requesting pad replacements though. I just don't recommend the headphones anymore.
Thanks for the info, I found out in my country that replacement pads have to be ordered and once the warranty is up they will cost 80USD so yeah, I agree.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #23 of 87

Update, after some back and forth with DCA through email and dealing with their affiliate retailer in my country they simply told me to order new pads for 80 dollars. The retailer refused to send my unit back to DCA for warranty, despite the channel imbalance being noticeable.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #25 of 87
For what it is worth because I know people are still going to get all worked up about this pad issue and insist on multiple warranty replacement sets of pads.

I am rather fussy with having my gear look good so at the end of a listening session I give my DCA Noire or Mr Speakers Aeon Flow open a quick wipe with a microfibre cloth and give the pads a massage back to nice and square before putting the headphones away.

It takes perhaps a minute and keeps them looking good and is a minor headache that I am willing to live with. It is a lot easier to do it after every use than let them get badly out of shape and try and straighten them up at that stage.

Of course it would be better to not have the issue but it is very much a first world problem that I am not going to get upset about.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #26 of 87
@BS5711 I agree 200%. I have also noticed that some headphone pad photos in the classifieds show similar mild pad "lines" / mild deformations. Surprised at what a hot issue it is for DCA.

Jan 14, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #27 of 87
I swore Dan Clark ( @mrspeakers ) had mentioned he had a fix that was going to update this side effect. Personally I thing if they added a little more thickness or add a thin flexible material to the problematic areas due to the walls being so thin. Or they could add adhesive on the foam and leather so it stays in place instead of rolling over. Because once the foam rolls even the videos Dan created to unroll only work for a short duration and you need to repeat the cycle.

Personally, I would use an adhesive approach as the foam and protein leather would support each other just enough to not roll. I’m 110% that would 100% solve the issue and still retain the comfort, adapting to your ear shape and seal.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #28 of 87
I swore Dan Clark ( @mrspeakers ) had mentioned he had a fix that was going to update this side effect. Personally I thing if they added a little more thickness or add a thin flexible material to the problematic areas due to the walls being so thin. Or they could add adhesive on the foam and leather so it stays in place instead of rolling over. Because once the foam rolls even the videos Dan created to unroll only work for a short duration and you need to repeat the cycle.
I know the first post is kind of long, but if you look at the last section, you can see DCA has responded to the defect and said they're modifying the pad design

Jan 15, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #29 of 87
Of course it would be better to not have the issue but it is very much a first world problem that I am not going to get upset about.
I've seen people justify all kinds of defects when spending $800+ for headphones, so I'm no longer surprised when I see replies like this. I'm happy you haven't had permanent pad warping, hopefully that doesn't mean you want to stop headphone manufactures from being held accountable to quality for luxury priced items.

Jan 15, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #30 of 87
I've seen people justify all kinds of defects when spending $800+ for headphones, so I'm no longer surprised when I see replies like this. I'm happy you haven't had permanent pad warping, hopefully that doesn't mean you want to stop headphone manufactures from being held accountable to quality for luxury priced items.

I am not "justifying" anything I am simply adding another perspective because it doesn't take long looking back through this thread, and more or less every other Dan Clark or Mr Speakers related thread, even Stealth, to see that you have a real issue with this matter and have so for over two years. Some might argue your activity on the subject is a bit out of perspective so you feel like you are being heard.

Sure it is a matter better addressed but I don't see the need to get all worked up about it and post multiple times in multiple places over a two year period to anybody that you think might read your opinions.

You are entitled to your opinion, no argument with that, just as I am entitled to my opinion which I presented as politely as I could just one time, please don't read anything into my comments on post #25, I meant them exactly as they read, if I meant more or less that is what I would have written.

I am listening to my Noires right now, I'll take 1 minute to ease the pads back into perfect shape at the end of the day to keep them looking good. I am happy, sounds like you will be happy when you get yet another free set of updated pads ....... life is good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back