Is that it? Premium price for premium stuff...
Jan 8, 2007 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

vkvedam

Headphoneus Supremus
Here we go. I have read a strange article before.
One person was saying that you got to pay a premium to
get a Porsche or BOSE. Or else you could go for a Ford or
Other audio giants instead if you want to.
Have your say.

Jan 8, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #2 of 18
I'd say he is right. You do pay a premium for those products.

Wheather or not your preference is for the performance of that product compared to a competitor is another matter.

Jan 8, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here we go. I have read a strange article before.
One person was saying that you got to pay a premium to
get a Porsche or BOSE. Or else you could go for a Ford or
Other audio giants instead if you want to.
Have your say.

...I'm not sure what you're trying say:

You have to pay more for better products, otherwise you would buy an inferior product.

^^Is that it? If so, then... I still don't get it. If a Porsche was the same price as a Ford, then I would buy the Porsche.

Confused.

Jan 8, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #5 of 18
I would say BOSE is more equivilent to..... a pimped out vauxhall nova. It might look quite nice, but it was made with really cheap parts and doesnt perform very well.

Jan 8, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 18
Well of course you pay a premium for premium quality, one could almost use this as a characterising definition. Now, do not go and say "oh but bose sounds like crap for the money!!!111!!" Perception of premium quality is something all smart retailers/firms strive towards, in general, of course. Why would anyone even bother with branding if this were not the case? Like a previous poster said, for a given price he would have a porsche over a ford. Why? Porsche makes cool, suave, sexy cars that make people point, look, turn their heads, etc. All perceptions one has...."oh, if I had a porsche, this, that and the other would occur".

I realise you have some affinity for bose, and really this discussion also has nothing to do with headphones other then the use of bose in your post, a company that makes many things other than headphones. It may just have some philosophical merit, but making a moot point is hardly any basis for discussion.

Jan 8, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 18
As far as headphones go yeah thats kind of how it works.

As for amps, stay away from premium "PRODUCTS". As far as marketed products go, just because its a premium price, doesn't necessarily mean youre getting a good design thats made well.

Stick with premium "DESIGNS" that are made well.

PM me if you like and I can elaborate in further detail.

Jan 8, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 18
First of all, paying a premium for a porsche instead of a Ford is not a good analogy to Bose vs. whwatever else. Your are not paying a premium for just the porsche name and can get a Ford instead. It is NOT just about having something that people look and stare and point at either.

I would buy a Porsche well over a Ford because of mid-engine, rear wheel drive configuration, because I can take 130 mph turns and while remaining confident in its cornering abilities due to its unibody chassis that is reinforced with a tubular frame. Or how about perfect weight distribution? What about the overhauled suspension and the lightweight parts used to achieve excellent power-to-weight-ratio? At least comment on the H motor producing at least 230bhp at the rears in their lowest product offerings. The Analogy with Ford and Porsche and premium for name is ludicrous. A better product is just that. A better product. You pay for tangible increases in performance.

BOSE is more closely related to buying a Nike sneaker for the name instead of something less expensive, but equally good product.

The Porsche analogy only works for something like comparing a pair of Martin Logans to a pair of Sony speakers. It is a comparison of quality, not marketing hype.

Jan 9, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #9 of 18
the old adage holds for almost all things in life, with some exceptions,

etysmile.gif
"You get what you pay for"
etysmile.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by illy2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the old adage holds for almost all things in life, with some exceptions,

etysmile.gif
"You get what you pay for"
etysmile.gif

With the exception of KSC75s.
icon10.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say a Porsche would compare to a Sennheiser Orpheus System.

I like to think of my F5000s as a turbo 911
tongue.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by 883dave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Premium products go for more, that is why they are premium

The price is not the reason they are premium. It's that they are worth the price to those who buy them (in build quality, SQ, good looks etc). If I bought a CMOY for $1000 would that be premium?

Jan 9, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #14 of 18
A KSC75 is great for it's price like a camry or accord but a HD580 is like a corvette - still great for the price but costs much more and is at a much higher level of performance. (forget the amp requirement in this analogy)

EDIT: I guess what I'm trying to say is there are good deals all over the cost spectrum and that premium for better gear is worth it, just go for the good deals or more importantly go for products in tune with your tastes.

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:55 AM Post #15 of 18
I think what he's getting at is the difference between a status symbol and actual performance. Price does not necessarily indicate quality, especially in the audiophile field. You have to learn how to discriminate. There's a lot of pricey snake oil out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back