Is Success At Head-Fi An Art Or A Science?
Jul 25, 2012 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Redcarmoose

Headphoneus Supremus
1)  Is Head-Fi success an art or a science?

2)  Is it just how much cash you have?

3)  Post your conclusions and why.

Jul 25, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #2 of 21
I find it's more of an art.
You go and experience different systems from others and work towards building your own system that you consider successful.
Not everyone will like the same system, just like how different people like different paintings or different musical genres (both are forms of art).
While to me, science is supposed to be something straight forward and I don't find building one's ideal system is a straight forward task.

Jul 25, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:
I find it's more of an art.
You go and experience different systems from others and work towards building your own system that you consider successful.
Not everyone will like the same system, just like how different people like different paintings or different musical genres (both are forms of art).
While to me, science is supposed to be something straight forward and I don't find building one's ideal system is a straight forward task.

If you emulated an exact system, it maybe would be a science. I wonder how many do that. You would go to a show, listen to all the great set-ups, then make a copy. Funny how you don't see more of that going on.

I agree though. I see it as an art when your just building a system from different purchases. 

Jul 25, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #4 of 21
If you emulated an exact system, it maybe would be a science. I wonder how many do that. You would go to a show, listen to all the great set-ups, then make a copy. Funny how you don't see more of that going on.

I agree though. I see it as an art when your just building a system from different purchases. 

While copying a system I guess looks straight forward, I still don't find it a science in that sense.
There are some setups that you appreciate more than others and you'll take after some of them.

When I say buying an ideal system is not straight forward, I mean there's no list of systems for different budgets that are guaranteed winners with everybody.

I can't just say:
"If you have $500, you have to get X pair of headphones with Y DAC and Z AMP. It's guaranteed to be successful no matter what your preferences are"

Jul 25, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #5 of 21
It's a paradox. You buy headphones for better sound on current equipment, only to end up replacing said equipment to complement the headphones, then change the headphones since you realized that does nothing, and then someone's grandfather gets pregnant because you just couldn't let go and enjoy the music.

Jul 25, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 21
[size=10pt][size=10pt]Is it not science to some and art to others?[/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]To me, its art, because I can appreciate and differentiate sound, but cannot break down the hard science behind how it became that way. [/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]Not to mention, success is easier to measure in science, but impossible to measure in art.[/size][/size]

Jul 25, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #7 of 21
Pure luck.  If you define "success" as being happy with your system and never feeling the need to upgrade, then I'm guessing there are many, many unsuccessful people at head-fi.  Anyone who can manage to do that is obviously very lucky!

Jul 26, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #8 of 21
All? None? Some? It's a hobby, if you aren't having fun, you're doing it wrong.

Jul 26, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #9 of 21
I chose Pure Luck.  This is a hobby, not a career choice, not a job, not an assignment.  It's for sure not pass or fail.

Jul 27, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #11 of 21
It's pure cash. Even the cheapest systems cost money. If you can't afford living essentials, well...

Jul 27, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:
Wait..is success in hi fi an art or science....because being sccuessful at head fi is a weird question? Heck, how do you become successful at head fi?

Quote:
How do you classify success in what many consider a journey?

A successful journey. Becoming happy with your gear at some point. Reaching your goals and expectations. Becoming satisfied and fulfilled with a headphone set-up. 

Some folks just believe there is a quantification and method to doing everything.

Jul 27, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:
I chose Pure Luck.  This is a hobby, not a career choice, not a job, not an assignment.  It's for sure not pass or fail.

I look at it as an assignment. I have always had goals and dreams involved with my endeavors, that's just me. I truly think folks pass and fail at this.

There is luck involved which maybe makes it un-scientific?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back