Is SqueezeBox a good source?
Jan 3, 2009 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

lmmo

100+ Head-Fier
Just received the Sennheiser HD650 headphones for Christmas and order a Russ Andrews HP-1 amp (modified Stello HP100). Now I'm thinking about the best away to source those pieces of niece equipment.

I find that using mp3 or flac files is much more confortable than using CDs so I'll my iPod or something similiar. Is the SqueezeBox (I was thinking about the Duet) makes a good source?

Thanks!

Jan 3, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received the Sennheiser HD650 headphones for Christmas and order a Russ Andrews HP-1 amp (modified Stello HP100). Now I'm thinking about the best away to source those pieces of niece equipment.

I find that using mp3 or flac files is much more confortable than using CDs so I'll my iPod or something similiar. Is the SqueezeBox (I was thinking about the Duet) makes a good source?

Thanks!

The SqueezeBox (or Duet or Transporter) makes an excellent source! I now have 5 SqueezeBoxes and seldom use my CD players any more. I can access our complete music library thoughout our home with ease.

Note the DAC within the SqueezeBox is pretty good, but it has a digital out which allows you to upgrade if need be.
very_evil_smiley.gif
Also, you will probably want to stick with lossless compression schemes to maintain CD quality.

Good luck and have fun!

Jan 3, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 16
I completely agree with everything WilCox said in his post above. I love my Squeezebox. The internal DAC is very good, but the cound can definitely be improved with an external DAC when you are ready to make that move.

Jan 4, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 16
Just got my Squeezebox working today and I'm happy with the sound quality.

I wish I didn't have to use a new player software, but surprisingly nobody's written a foobar2000 plugin that outputs to the Squeezebox.

And digital outs are always a good thing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 16
I really enjoy my Squeezbox Duet. It is a very nice music server. It runs my entire flac library. The dac is ok, but the SQ is improved greatly with external Dac. When I was using mine, I was using a Lavry Dac. It was quite a nice combo with Senn 600s.

As always I keep selling to try new audio adventures. Still have the Duet and serve music to the native dac.

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #8 of 16
I have a Squeezebox 3 with an upgraded linear power supply but that is otherwise stock. I can tell you that there's no way I can listen to the analog outputs of this SB3 with my Denon D5000 headphones through a Musical Fidelity X-Can V8 amp. The SB3 sounds decent through my relatively revealing speaker system, but with the D5000s it has unbearable harshness in the highs. Note that my D5000s had 40 hours on them at the time of this listening. The X-Can V8 and D5000 combo sounds great with FLAC files from my Sansa Fuze portable player, so I know it's not the amp-cans match that's the problem.

On my speaker system I still choose to use an external DAC, because, as others have mentioned, it can greatly improve the sound.

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #9 of 16
The SB3 is an excellent piece of kit, makes living with a large CD library fun! And with the digital output, your free to feed yout upgrade side with DACs!
I'm 6 days with my new audio-gd DAC-3SE and each CD is an adventure in sound.
BTW if you use windows, get the Moose software, much better (faster) than the SlimCenter software, and a great cover view option.

Jan 4, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #10 of 16
I agree with Wicox, it makes an excellent source. I'm building a new powersupply right now, to replace the small stock psu. I think the Squeezebox deserves a better one.

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #13 of 16
I use it with my Stello DA100. And it is very good!

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #14 of 16
I'm a happy owner of SB classic. Supposedly it has a better internal DAC compared to the Duet. I use it with the Opus 21 CD player DAC. It has a Last FM plug-in and it's amazing how 128 kbs sound sounds. Recommended!!

Jan 9, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #15 of 16
squeezebox has changed my life. It makes access to my entire library so effortless that I can't even be bothered to dig out a CD anymore. Plus internet radio, pandora, etc... it's awesome. In fact, it is the device that allowed me to stop stressing out about audio and to just enjoy it. That said, it can also obviously be done on an audiophile level if you still have the bug.

Concerning the SB specifically, and I'm still back on SB2 so my advice might be outdated, it might make more sense to go with a solution which supports video. All media is moving to the Internet. Death to discs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back