Is Sony NW-WM1Z after 4 years of its release still a pinnacle DAP
Apr 22, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #16 of 24
Have to admire how the Japanese stand by their products AND have a good reason for doing that too as they dun rush into releasing something and say the "after 3 years of R&D blah blah blah" crap, no they really intend to release a meticulously well thought out and supremely engineered product that is ahead of time, or even timeless. Not only the WM1 siblings, but even the good old iems like EX1000, EX800ST and ZX5 are still very well regarded up to now. Things like Fitear or Canalworks CIEMS also got very long product cycles that are unthinkable for manufacturers elsewhere.

My stock WM1Z is still running great, and to me is still the top of the world choice as of now. I don't have the urge to try anything else but when I do I think I can't be easily impressed by anything anymore. The bar is set too high. Enjoy yours in good health!

May 19, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #17 of 24
I have this question, is NW-WM1Z still a first line contender after all the surge of newer DAPs on the market? Is the fact that its price hasn't budged a dime really justified? I'm mostly after SQ and I love the Sony signature sound but I'm very hesitant to pay that much when AK SP2000 is a rival with the same cost.
Do you have the link to Nayparm's website as I would be interested in this modification.

Mar 23, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #18 of 24
Today I would buy a 1A (second hand if I could get it) and then send it to Nayparm for his full mod to get something that is better than a 1Z for closer to half the price of a 1Z. That said I thorougly enjoyed my stock 1Z for 3 1/2 years before getting it modded and expect to use it as my main dap for another 10 years. And then add the MrWalkman modded fw to further elevate them. I know they dont do streaming, but they can act as BT receivers and as USB dacs
how does nayparm modded 1a compare to 1z?

Mar 23, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #19 of 24
Mar 23, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #21 of 24
I mean how does a modded 1z compare to a modded 1a when both is modded by nayparm?
Again I can’t say as I don’t have or have heard both but the only difference that could affect sound after the same mod is the copper vs aluminium enclosure, everything else is identical (and the the 1Z board has the extra 128GB) so it comes down to how much difference the enclosure material makes on it’s own.

Mine actually has a modded 1A board in a 1Z enclosure and I think @Steen Pihl has a modded 1Z board in a 1A enclosure

Mar 23, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #22 of 24
Again I can’t say as I don’t have or have heard both but the only difference that could affect sound after the same mod is the copper vs aluminium enclosure, everything else is identical (and the the 1Z board has the extra 128GB) so it comes down to how much difference the enclosure material makes on it’s own.

Mine actually has a modded 1A board in a 1Z enclosure and I think @Steen Pihl has a modded 1Z board in a 1A enclosure
Did it drastically improve the sound? Is there another dap you prefer over it?

Mar 23, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #23 of 24
Did it drastically improve the sound? Is there another dap you prefer over it?
The mod did not drastically improve the sound but I believe it made a meaningful improvement. Exactly how much is difficult to say as it took nearly 2 weeks from I posted it until I had it back and then another 2 weeks for burn in.

Apart from the A55 I have not tried any other daps the last 5 1/2 years as I’m completely happy with the 1Z and have not seen any reason to try something else and it is almost impossible to demo anything in Denmark

Mar 24, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #24 of 24
The mod did not drastically improve the sound but I believe it made a meaningful improvement. Exactly how much is difficult to say as it took nearly 2 weeks from I posted it until I had it back and then another 2 weeks for burn in.

Apart from the A55 I have not tried any other daps the last 5 1/2 years as I’m completely happy with the 1Z and have not seen any reason to try something else and it is almost impossible to demo anything in Denmark
Yes, I had my 1Z board installed in a 1A. My opinion is that you gain a little bit of everything, like a more controlled bass, more 3D, more definition, and with Walkman One from Mr.Walkman, you gain even more. It's like the Walkman One improvements are even more pronounced. In my world ist's def. worth it. The Walkman just keep on impressing me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back