Is Sony killing the MDR-V6?
Jan 4, 2012 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DjAmTraX

Now known as: HiFiGuy528
It appears that the MDR-V6 is out of stock at A LOT of online retailers. Amazon don't have it either. I understand Sony Style still has some at full retail, but most retailers are out of stock. Is Sony killing it?  If so, are you sad about it?

Jan 4, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #2 of 3
Well, with the new pro line they've got (that I've seen you unbox on YouTube!) I'm not surprised.  I am sad though.  But that's just silly old man nostalgia because I remember when anyone with a half-decent home studio had or wanted either the V6 or the 7506.

I was pleased that the old pro line was still on the Sony website even after the new ones were released.  But whereas I had no previous plans to update my Sonys, now that my old favorites might be going extinct I might have to consider it.

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 3
The Sony V6 disappeared for a while years ago, however the 7506 was available all along. The V6 makes many other Sony headphones sound bad in comparison, so it is no wonder that Sony might want it out of consumer electronics stores. They can also make more money by getting those who want it to go to a musical instrument or pro audio store and buy the more expensive 7506. I wonder how many would still buy the V600 or XB500 after hearing the V6. I guess Sony also wants people to buy models of headphones that don't last so long. So many people have a V6 that is more than 10 years old or even more than 20 years old which works fine, except that the earpads were replaced. Many are replacing the earpads with Beyerdynamic or other brand earpads, so Sony isn't making that much on replacement earpads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back