is skullcandy good?
Mar 29, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #16 of 76
You must have very good senses... Digital scent of a troll
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #18 of 76
No, and a quick search would have given you numerous threads on the same topic.
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #19 of 76
To the original poster, no, lowriders are bad. Guessing you want to spend around the same price as lowriders, I'd recommend: Amazon.com: JVC HAS700 Portable Full-Size Headphone: Electronics

If you want to spend a little more: Amazon.com: Creative Aurvana Live! Headphones: Electronics

To everybody else, I think people here forget that head-fi is big enough that if you do a search for headphones, head-fi.org is one of the first couple of links that pops up. That's likely where the OP came from, not some regular that is a troll.

A random internet hit isn't going to bring about somebody that is going to read all the FAQ's, etc and then figure out how the search works and use it.

They're going to ask the one question they have, possibly read some of the replies and leave, 99% of the time.

They also may be confused about skullcandy, because the site does advertise them more than any other headphone, which I always chuckle at a bit.

Mar 30, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #20 of 76
Effective marketing, that's all.

Yes, some reading and research is required although some people just don't take the time, too bad.

Also consider the Sony MDR V6 if (textured, yes textured) bass under 80 dollars is what you want.

Mar 30, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #22 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by bikertrash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For less than the price of lowriders you can get Koss Portapros. They have excellent bass for the money and are extremely comfortable. I also have a pair of Grado SR60i phones which sound great but don't travel as nice.

I second the vote for PortaPros. I bought some used, then pinched a pinky's worth out of the middle of the stock foamy pads, a "pinky mod," if you will. It gave me the best of both worlds: very open HF with a more than adequate bass. You won't get the most spacious sound stage but for $40, you're getting a tremendous value.

With the PortaPros, you're getting nothing but the sound of the driver. The whole design is minimalist, which gives this phone a very small profile. They fold up neatly into a coat pocket. For a fuller sound, go with the SR60i, which has more bass and a bigger driver. At $79, the SR60i are an amazing deal.

Mar 30, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #24 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomboompow's thread title says /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is skullcandy good?

No.

Mar 30, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #25 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by radiohlite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been wondering if their "Smokin' Buds" IEMs are worth the $25.
I saw their freq. response graph on headroom, it looks pretty good for an in-ear:

Skullcandy Smokin Buds - Headphones | HeadRoom Audio

A friend of mine had a pair of these. I had a good seal with them and tested them for a few songs. I'll keep it simple, they have pretty much no bass, vocals are mush, there is no separation or clarity, and the highs are just missing.

Mar 30, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #26 of 76
Actually, I'm gonna go against the grain here and say that, WITH MODDING, the Skullcandies aren't that bad. The mod starts off similar to the JVC RX900 mods in that you need to stuff the cans with acoustic stuffing, and dampen the drivers with some Dynamat (you can get them off ebay), to really balance out the bass and tame the mids. Then, an aftermarket cable replacement is suggested (although it is not necessary), ESPECIALLY balanced XLR connectors - this really helps! Next comes the crucial step (this really brings out the highs!), take a pair of scissors and cut your cables with them to reveal exposed wires, and stick these wires into the nearest AC socket. They're really not that bad after the mods!

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #27 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by az2123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I'm gonna go against the grain here and say that, WITH MODDING, the Skullcandies aren't that bad. The mod starts off similar to the JVC RX900 mods in that you need to stuff the cans with acoustic stuffing, and dampen the drivers with some Dynamat (you can get them off ebay), to really balance out the bass and tame the mids. Then, an aftermarket cable replacement is suggested (although it is not necessary), ESPECIALLY balanced XLR connectors - this really helps! Next comes the crucial step (this really brings out the highs!), take a pair of scissors and cut your cables with them to reveal exposed wires, and stick these wires into the nearest AC socket. They're really not that bad after the mods!

lol.

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #28 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by az2123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmm. This isn't so different from what I like to do. This might be dangerous though:

1. Dampen the SkullCandy headphones as suggested.
2. Find a local high-voltage power line. The voltage must be exactly 169.42 kV.
3. Chop down a nearby tree using George Washington's "cherry-tree" axe to bring down the line.
4. Using extreme caution, expose the bare headphones wire to the power line using some Valhalla cable as the connectors.
5. Fly the burnt headphones to Geneva, Switzerland via first class on SWISS airlines.
6. Nourish the pads by soaking them in champagne straight from the source.
7. Place the headphones in the Large Hadron Collider, and turn the LHC to max power.

Congrats. You have created the best headphones known to man.

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #29 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by earthpeople /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A friend of mine had a pair of these. I had a good seal with them and tested them for a few songs. I'll keep it simple, they have pretty much no bass, vocals are mush, there is no separation or clarity, and the highs are just missing.

so it wasn't just me then.
biggrin.gif
i returned two pairs of smokin buds as 'not working' because of that problem. both of mine had almost no bass too and the vocals and everything else sounded muffled like my ears were stuffed up.

and i knew about the seal thing too, whenever i got a better seal, they sounded more muffled
confused_face(1).gif
and made me feel claustorphobic. thats strange cuz no other earplugs or headphones make me feel that way or cause that 'hear yourself breathing' effect that's annoying when youre active.

i really go O_o at these being marketed to the action sports crowd. i don't approve
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #30 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by ForgottenxxRebel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so it wasn't just me then.
biggrin.gif
i returned two pairs of smokin buds as 'not working' because of that problem. both of mine had almost no bass too and the vocals and everything else sounded muffled like my ears were stuffed up.

and i knew about the seal thing too, whenever i got a better seal, they sounded more muffled
confused_face(1).gif
and made me feel claustorphobic. thats strange cuz no other earplugs or headphones make me feel that way or cause that 'hear yourself breathing' effect that's annoying when youre active.

i really go O_o at these being marketed to the action sports crowd. i don't approve
tongue_smile.gif

Not to mention the build quality on those things is absolutely terrible. I had a pair when I was an idiot, and once the left ear went out (after about a month of light use), I got them replaced for another pair that died a similar death another month later. I still have the replacement tips lying around somewhere. :S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back