Is Sansa Clip + really that good?!
May 22, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #181 of 467
Quote:
I didn't notice any difference between the rockboxed , and non rockboxed version of sansa clip.
IMHO, The only reason for using rockbox, is for tweaking.

You're forgetting the battery life improvements....

May 22, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #183 of 467
Regarding the battery life improvements, I noticed that sansa clip indicate wrong battery level, which could be annoying if the battery is almost empty.
And regarding the "better file support", if you mean  that more file format supported, well I don't care  of aac... (stupid apple
biggrin.gif
)

May 23, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #186 of 467
About the navigation improvements, I think the original rockbox GUI is a pain, but, as I said, using a mixed theme rockbox became even better than original stock.

About the SQ, I assure that I got improvements. A fuller sound (tweaking by software for sure). I must add that I use my unity with a Yuin PK? earbud (those cheaper with low impedance) and sometimes I think I'm in front of my old turntable. Not the best, but does a well done job.

May 23, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #187 of 467
I like the additional .alac support from Rockbox (RB).

RB also offers much faster start-up time, than the stock Sansa firmware. My Clip+ with stock firmware and 32GB SDHC took a very long time to start, but with RB it starts in like 2 seconds.

RB also removes the 8000 file limit of the stock Sansa firmware. If you use a Clip+ with a microSDXC of 64GB, you can easily go over the 8000 file limit with a music library of 60GB.

Edit: I also really like the physical design of the Clip+. Especially, I can clip it to my belt, and connect it with a 30cm interconnect cable leading to an portable amp in my jean pocket. That way I do not carry a bulky "stack: in my pocket and can use the Clip as a pre-amp to control track and volume (I set my Fiio E11 amp in a fixed volume position and control the Clip+ on my belt).

May 29, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #188 of 467
To reply to OP: No it is not.

You have four type of users in regards to sound.
1) Cowon users, who love the superior EQ setting as it can be adjusted to cater for every music genre.
2) Sansa Clip users, who prefer a flat (non EQ) sound to cover all genres.
3) My favourite, the Sansa Clip users who hate Cowons EQ but then make their Clips sound even more artificial by Rockboxing it.
4) Apple users lol

For price, its a great Mp3 player, but it is overhyped by people who can only afford $40 for an mp3 player and settle for poor UI and battery life and then find ways to justify their purchase.
Rockboxing adds a bit of "life" to the clip, but nothing worth getting moist about it.
IMO, my HTC ONE X sounds alot cleaner when paired with my sennheiser IEMs than my partners Clip

Sansa clips are marketed to the active public who exercise regularly and are happy with a flat, but good sounding mp3 player to accomodate their exercise regime.
Alot of Audiophiles like the accurate sound reproduction, but alot (like myself) like each song to represent a vibrance and enjoyment that only we can enjoy.

In the end its your ears. what may not be suited for myself, or others may be suited for you as we all have individual needs.
If you dont mind the mediocre battery life, poor UI and plastic construction, then $40 for a reasonably sounding mp3 player is a good buy, better than anything in that price range.

May 29, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #189 of 467
@Djchase
Quote:
3) My favourite, the Sansa Clip users who hate Cowons EQ but then make their Clips sound even more artificial by Rockboxing it.

No, sound is same with rockbox, some people are victim of placebo.  Unless you want to customize sound.

Quote:
poor UI and battery life and plastic construction

I disagree regarding the battery life, I do not have to charge them often. My previous apple shuffle was in brushed aluminium, but it died after some use. Let's see if the sansa clip would last more.

Quote:
Sansa clips are marketed to the active public who exercise regularly

Yeah, I wouldn't use my cowon for jogging. But for SQ I prefer the cowon.

Jun 4, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #190 of 467
For folks like me the clip is great.

I grew up having owned  over 20 sony  walkmans.   I would break one almost every 6 months it seemed  on queue(playing basketball, dropping it \ loose jacks..etc) but the need to block out the clucking from the chicken heads (read adults ) outweighed any monetary cost\ "potential trouble" that was associated with acquiring another.

It's a tool.... not  a love affair( love went out the window after about the 3rd walkman burial).. not a passion.. a tool. My prozac , if you will.
So it's ingrained in me that portables are throw away devices, yeah my 200$\$400 everyday --out and about\travel\  wilin' out headphones--- same mindset.
After a rewire\ fix up and it keeps acting up  .. the hell with it.  .   I don't love you 'H'eadph'O'ne'S'

There's no market that caters to  old heads like me---I don't remember seeing the curmudgeons demographic on the PP at the   marketing meeting.
    Despise cel phones..   .
    No touch screen
   Would only ever buy an apple computer(highly unlikely) but never any thing else from them
   Not interested in flava's of the month-- -- tail chasing
   Want to stick with a established company\product  in which you know what to expect despite any flaws

But the clip  is close to it-- just wish it had a removable battery.

Full sized  headphones\  decent sounding device \ ultra small device\small amp  is the goal -- i can take my amp off and still shoot some jumpers\   wil' out- whatever.. no issue

.SQ is not #1 on my list..

Not to mention I'll throw  it in the sewer  without breaking stride at the first sign of it acting shady (  the walkman burial bop).
Spare sitting in it's box  waiting in the bull pen--   another one bites the dust -- no biggie

Jun 4, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #191 of 467
The PMX680 is probably good, however the JVC HA-EB75 sounds quite good and is only $8 on Amazon. The HA-EB75 is earbuds with earhooks. On the HA-EB75, the earhooks are rubber, adjustable, and very comfortable. I was curious about the PMX680, however after buying the JVC HA-EB75 and finding the sound quality much better than I expected, I am no longer curious about the PMX680.

Jun 4, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #192 of 467
Quote:
The PMX680 is probably good, however the JVC HA-EB75 sounds quite good and is only $8 on Amazon. The HA-EB75 is also earbuds with earhooks. On the HA-EB75, the earhooks are rubber, adjustable, and very comfortable. I was curious about the PMX680, however after buying the JVC HA-EB75 and finding the sound quality much better than I expected, I am no longer curious about the PMX680.

Well, I  didn't hear the JVC HA-EB75. The PMX680  are pretty good, at least if you want to run with them. They offer great bass, decent soundstage, tamed but unrefined highs. I  made a mistake by taking the PMX680i , they have an ipod volume control , and  also I  got them at an inflated price (90$, I was in a hurry).
I'm not too surprised that you find a 8$ ear bud enough good. Recently I've resisted to get the discontinued PMX980 , I  got a big doubt they  would match my taste, and that the gap in sound quality was enough big. I've seen someone comparing the MX980  to the much cheaper and comfy MX365.
I  was looking to something similar to k317(discontinued) , I  was in love with them before they broke.

Jun 5, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #193 of 467
"I'm not too surprised that you find a 8$ ear bud enough good." It depends which $8 earbuds. Most of them sound horrible. Some JVC products provide great value. Their $13 HA-S160 headphone for example imo sounds better than the $40 Koss Portapro and almost as good as the $55 Sennheiser PX100II. Their $7 Riptidz IEM sounds better than many $20 IEMs. The $8 HA-EB75 sounds surprising good. It wouldn't surprise me if many think it sounds better than the $40 Sennheiser PMX680. A great $8 earphone might sound at least as good as others that are $40 or more.

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #194 of 467
Quote:
"I'm not too surprised that you find a 8$ ear bud enough good." It depends which $8 earbuds. Most of them sound horrible. Some JVC products provide great value. Their $13 HA-S160 headphone for example imo sounds better than the $40 Koss Portapro and almost as good as the $55 Sennheiser PX100II. Their $7 Riptidz IEM sounds better than many $20 IEMs. The $8 HA-EB75 sounds surprising good. It wouldn't surprise me if many think it sounds better than the $40 Sennheiser PMX680. A great $8 earphone might sound at least as good as others that are $40 or more.

Hum ok, let's say it  better. I'm not surprised that you liked your 8$ ear bud , because I loved my 30$ k317, that I'm still missing , despite having now much more expensive headphones in my collection.
It makes no sense to say that your JVC HA-EB75 would provide better value than the pmx680, if you've never heard the PMX680.
The reason to get the PMX680, is that you want serious bass, while practicing exercises. They provide a cleaner sound, and more rewarding bass than ksc75,
which itself is said to sound better "than the $40 Koss porta pro".
And also I wouldn't dare to compare my broken k317 to the the PMX680, because they offer a very very different sound. With one the main strength is bass,
with the other it's treble.
And by the way I 've looked at reviews at amazon  of the HA-EB75, and some people are complaining these ear buds are unable to provide good bass.

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #195 of 467
"It makes no sense to say that your JVC HA-EB75 would provide better value than the pmx680, if you've never heard the PMX680." It does make sense, as the HA-EB75 sounds quite good and is just $8. Perhaps the PMX680 might be slightly better than the HA-EB75(or it might not be better than the HA-EB75?) however since the HA-EB75 sounds so good, I can't imagine the PMX680 at $40 sounding 5x as good as the HA-EB75, so I can say that the HA-EB75 is a better value than the PMX680, even if it might not sound quite as good. The HA-EB75 sounds so much better than the KSC75. "And by the way I 've looked at reviews at amazon of the HA-EB75, and some people are complaining these ear buds are unable to provide good bass." The HA-EB75 is open, so it needs to be compared to open earphones. Of course it won't have as much bass as an IEM. At times it is important to use something open and keep the volume low. For better bass, when it is safe to use a closed earphone, the JVC Riptidz IEM would be a better choice instead of the HA-EB75.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back