Is SACD dying (I guess DVD-A is kind of already dead)
Jun 18, 2004 at 2:52 PM Post #16 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
I have bit on a decent universal player. Now I don't worry about format wars. No more reading a review of one format, or seeing something in a store, wishing I had the right player for it. I can just buy whatever CD I want. Now I can focus on the music.

Jpelg:

Ahhhh...the beauty of the universal player!
tongue.gif

Jun 18, 2004 at 3:35 PM Post #17 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
You know, I'm thinking that Jude and co. should just set up the forum software to automtically generate the following threads...

Haha!

That is so true
smily_headphones1.gif

Unfortunately, with the overloading of the database and disabling of the search function, there's not much hope for us...

Rgds,
halcyon

PS No, SACD is not dead and new releases are still coming. Don't expect SACD to somehow miraculously to replace CD however. SACD is a specialty format.

Jun 18, 2004 at 4:00 PM Post #18 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
Any other formats on the horizon?

Spinning discs are too cumbersome as it is...

Yes there is such a format, being goosed along by Intel, to further their plans to make computers a significant part of a sound/media system. It's called 'Azalia', and will be integrated into their upcoming chip sets.

Its specs include 32-bit resolution with a 192KHz sample rate. Not bad, if this comes to pass as a normal part of a home computer. Not good, if you fear the encroachment of the Evil Empire and the other Winteloids even further into our lives....

For more details Google 'Azalia Intel Audio'.

Jun 18, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #19 of 56
As mentioned above, there is a join Universal/Sony/Philips seminar on SACD happening in Hong Kong as we speak. I was surfing the web last night and this is what I got so far....

The 3 companies announced they will restructure pricing for new release SACDs. They are pushing to matching prices of SACDs to regular redbook CDs. HK Universal just released the first new release Cantonese studio album as a single-inventory multi-channel hybrid SACD and pricing it as like a regular CD (title is Christopher Wong's "EverGreen" and I saw it priced for approximately US$11.00 while I was in HK).

That's it so far. I suppose there will be more info later.

Jun 18, 2004 at 6:42 PM Post #20 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
The 3 companies announced they will restructure pricing for new release SACDs. They are pushing to matching prices of SACDs to regular redbook CDs.

Wasn't it just a few months ago the labels were supposed to reduce pricing across the board for CDs, with new artists below the $10 point? I didn't notice the difference. I wish they'd follow through on their pronouncements!

"new release SACDs" are new SACDs of old material or SACDs of debut material? The latter is what is the sole road to success IMHO.

Jun 18, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #21 of 56
eyeteeth,

I think the statements made by Universal/Sony/Philips only reflects what's happening in Hong Kong, where piracy runs rampant. The idea is to get SACD into the mainstream via lowered prices of both hardware and software, and US$10.00 reflects the typical price of a new release CD in Hong Kong.

Like in the US, Hong Kong SACDs are almost always reissues of old material. HK Universal actually already released 2 single-inventory SACD titles of new material, including this new Christopher Wong SACD title. HK Warner also released a multi-channel hybrid SACD for a new title right before its SACD program died.

On a related note, Christopher Wong's mother admitted in Hong Kong's newspapers that she has purchased pirated copies of her son's new disc (the redbook CD layer, possibly). Unbelievable!!

I was thinking one way to reduce cost would be to use Hong Kong's local SACD production capability at the Viva Magnetics plant, since only about 10 of the 70 or so SACD titles released thus far by Hong Kong music companies have been manufactured there; the rest are made in Japan, Germany, or the "EU".

Jun 18, 2004 at 7:00 PM Post #22 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by MessierObject
Yes there is such a format, being goosed along by Intel, to further their plans to make computers a significant part of a sound/media system. It's called 'Azalia', and will be integrated into their upcoming chip sets.

Its specs include 32-bit resolution with a 192KHz sample rate. Not bad, if this comes to pass as a normal part of a home computer. Not good, if you fear the encroachment of the Evil Empire and the other Winteloids even further into our lives....

For more details Google 'Azalia Intel Audio'.

The problem with this is that intel has not set 32-bit resolution or the 192khz sample rate as being a minimum requirement for a piece of hardware to carry the new specification seal of approval so to speak. This could change but as the specs stand now thats the way it is.

Jun 18, 2004 at 7:47 PM Post #23 of 56
Let's look at this new Intel platform from a business standpoint... SACD is a product of Sony/Phillips, a MAJOR union of two of the major audio manufacturers from Europe and Japan, they have a direct responsibility for its success or failure. Sony owns a LOT of the music we listen to, under all their little labels and majors, they are in a position to release albums in their desired format, SACD. They have access to many of the most prized master recordings. DVD-A comprises the other half of the market, with a number of major labels pledging their support. However, DVD-A is not "owned" by any one company, it's a "consortium" of many smaller companies. No one has direct P&L responsibility for the success/failure of DVD-A. This is a major stumbling block to its success...

This new Intel format has none of the advantages of SACD and/or DVD-A in terms of ownership and responsibility for its success. It's a random new format proposed by a player who has no standing in this field, and controls no recordings whatsoever. Intel is at a loss when it comes to releasing new recordings in its new format. How will they compel any record label to release albums in its new format?

There is another new format on the horizon called "blue-ray" that will provide for media that moves beyond DVD-Video and allows for full Hi-Definition video/audio for HDTV. It is the natural succesor to DVD-Video. It will allow DVD makers to offer content that will be compatible with HDTV. HDTV, although it seriously lags behind where it should be, is INEVITABLE, it can't be stopped, and hooray, that's a good thing. Having a rental and recordable format that is compatible with HDTV is inevitable and can't be fought.

However, what, if any, accompanying audio format to Blue-Ray is to be offered is a question that hangs in the air. Maybe Blu-ray will provide the ultimate, final audio format, maybe not...

Either way, that's many years in the future...

Jun 18, 2004 at 7:54 PM Post #24 of 56
There will never be an ultimate format of anything.

Curious, how come vinyls hold such a high status among audiophiles, while no respectable videophile has retained any love for VCR tapes?

Instead of developing another proprietary audio formation, Intel should have incorporated SACD or DVD-A decoding into their processor chips.

Jun 18, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #25 of 56
i boycott all SACD's. i just bought that Philips 963A player, but i am making an effort to buy no SACD's at all. i really wanted a DVD-A player, but the good ones cost too much.

the reason i don't like SACD is cause i'm way invested into PCM technology. if we go SACD, i'd have to dump my studio. which would be a very bad thing.

come one guys, boycott SACD with me!
biggrin.gif

Jun 18, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #26 of 56
Orpheus, I am expecting a big for sale ad soon
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orpheus
i boycott all SACD's. i just bought that Philips 963A player, but i am making an effort to buy no SACD's at all. i really wanted a DVD-A player, but the good ones cost too much.

the reason i don't like SACD is cause i'm way invested into PCM technology. if we go SACD, i'd have to dump my studio. which would be a very bad thing.

biggrin.gif

Jun 18, 2004 at 8:37 PM Post #27 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orpheus

biggrin.gif

Why didn't you just invest in a redbook only player then?

Jun 18, 2004 at 8:50 PM Post #28 of 56
OK, from a purley political standpoint...

Can you agree that we are right now in a turning pont or cross-roads audio-wise...

Do you want to go down as being on the side of totally low-rez sub-Redbook-CD music in mp3 or lower standard? Or, do you want to stand up as being in favor of a standard that exceeds Redbook CD that dates from over 25 years ago? Are you satisfied with current 16/44.1 CDs, or would you rather see something better? You are right now being offered something better than the CD. Will you go for it? Or will you sit around and wait for everyone else to make up their mind? Will you be part of the future or part of the past? As an "audiophile" are you part of the past or part of the future? Do you not recognize that these new formats are waiting on YOU for their success?

Without your support, you can surely expect SACD/DVD-A to founder waiting for someone--anyone to respond. If the new formats fail, you have no one to blame but yourself... if we are stuck with 16/44.1 sound for the rest of our lives, you have no one but yourself to blame...

Mark

Jun 18, 2004 at 8:53 PM Post #29 of 56
biggrin.gif
heh he... welp, if there would be buyers for defunct studio hardware!

cause i also wanted DVD capabilities. besides, i heard the 963's redbook is pretty good. good enough for me. actually, i only bought another player cause my current professional "player" the tascam cdrw5000 doesn't play copy-protected stuff and also does read some cds well.

i'm planning to get a TV for the studio too... maybe do some video work. so the 963 seems like a great deal. and heck, i got it for $250 shipped brand new (the link's in the for-sale forum.)

but anyway, i'm hoping SACD will die. and i'm hoping that whatever becomes the succesor is compatible with PCM technology. then i'll be happy.
biggrin.gif

Jun 18, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #30 of 56
I am not ready to replace all my CD collections. Last time I counted, I have 500+ CDs. Just imagine how much it would cost replacing all those CDs with SACDs and DVD-A's
eek.gif

I would rather wait until either SACD or DVD-A has gained more acceptance. The hybrid SACD seems like a good alternative, since I can always listen to the CD layer. And that's what I'll try to buy from now on whenever possible.

But still, to replace all my CD colletions, that wont be financially possible for at a couple more years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back