Is Robert Horry the most clutch player ever?
Jun 20, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #2 of 22
Most clutch player now? Yes

Ever? Jordan, Bird, Miller...

Jordan used to shoot free throws with his eyes closed in close games. Miller had 8 points in 18 seconds at the end of a game once, including a three, stealing the inbounds pass stepping back and nailing a three, iirc.

Jun 20, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by remilard
Most clutch player now? Yes

Ever? Jordan, Bird, Miller...

Jordan used to shoot free throws with his eyes closed in close games. Miller had 8 points in 18 seconds at the end of a game once, including a three, stealing the inbounds pass stepping back and nailing a three, iirc.

I'm not saying he's the best player ever. Did MJ's blind freethrows win the game? Did Millers 8 points win an NBA FINALS GAME....no. Robert Horry consistantly hits the shots that put his team onto in the Finals. MJ is very very clutch and oh by the way about 10 times better than Horry, but he's no more clutch IMO.

Jun 20, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #4 of 22
I say yes. Jordan, Bird, Magic etc.. were all great clutch players. But no one I can remember can consistently elevate their game like Horry does in the playoffs....and winning the playoffs is what its all about.

Jun 20, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by britishbane
I'm not saying he's the best player ever. Did MJ's blind freethrows win the game? Did Millers 8 points win an NBA FINALS GAME....no. Robert Horry consistantly hits the shots that put his team onto in the Finals. MJ is very very clutch and oh by the way about 10 times better than Horry, but he's no more clutch IMO.

Millers 8 points were in a playoff game, Jordan made freethrows with his eyes closed in the final minutes of finals games. Miller has won as many playoff games as Horry, Jordan has won more. Jordan could hit the three (Horry just passed Jordan for the most threes in finals, and they have played in the same number of finals) but Jordan was better off the dribble, better on the line, and better on defense than Horry in the finals all the time.

I have to put Jordan higher and Miller equal in terms of clutch playoff performance (I don't see why Miller's perfomances don't count because they weren't in finals).

Jun 20, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #6 of 22
Ever??? I don't think he's the best EVER, but he sure looked good tonight!!
frown.gif

Jun 20, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
I say yes. Jordan, Bird, Magic etc.. were all great clutch players. But no one I can remember can consistently elevate their game like Horry does in the playoffs....and winning the playoffs is what its all about.

You are rewarding Horry for having bad games. Maybe Horry improves the most under pressure but if you have Jordan and Horry on the same team down 2 with 10 seconds left in game seven of a playoff series, who do you draw up the play for?

Horry hit a huge three, wide open. Jordan would take an inbounds pass in the same situation, and get double teamed on the perimeter (remember how the used to double team him up top, nobody gets defended like that these days) and he would still score and you could almost count on it.

Jun 20, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #8 of 22
The intent of this thread was not to say that Horry has better overall games that the likes of MJ, Bird or Miller, but to say that for some reason he seems to be able to hit the big shot time and again. Its almost rediculous the amount of big game shots this guy has hit. For some reason he seems to get more opportunities that the big 3 mentioned above. Now, if I had to choose one player to hit the game winning shot, regardless of it being the playoffs or not, I'd choose MJ in a heartbeat. I think he has a greater ability to hit the game winner than does Horry. What I'm saying is that Horry seems to have done it more often.

Jun 20, 2005 at 5:52 AM Post #9 of 22
From what I can tell, this thread is about performance *only* in end-of-game situations and not general playoff performance.

And for that, I put Horry just above Jordan, and I would have had him up there even before tonight. Just chalk another one up for this unconscious man.

Jun 20, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #10 of 22
my chicago-ness prevents me from answering anything other than Michael Jordan when it comes to "best clutch player"
biggrin.gif

Especially when it comes to playoff time - dont get me wrong, Horry is the man, no doubt, "big shot bob" or whatever it is.

Jun 20, 2005 at 6:33 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by britishbane
For some reason he seems to get more opportunities.

Exactly! Horry has played with some of the best players in the history of the game. Really great players have a tendency to make their teammates great when everyone is trying to shut them down.
Horry, is a good player, but he has certainly been in the right place at the right time.

Jun 20, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #12 of 22
I don't even see that last shot as the big shot in the game. Detroit screwed up, doubling Manu was stupid, worst case scenario you foul him on the layup and put him on the line which is better chances than giving Horry a wide open three.

I see Horry's dunk as a bigger play.

Maybe I am on crack but I remember Jordan winning a lot of playoff games at the buzzer too, I don't understand not counting him because he plays good all the time.

Like I said above, Jordan was playing in this finals with such memorable NBA greats as BJ Armstrong and Ben Cartwright, everyone knew who was getting the ball, he got double and triple teamed (yes kids they actually triple teamed this guy) and he still scored. Horry gets shots Jordan never did because he isn't the superstar.

I still see this as the acid test, you have Jordan and Horry 2 points down 10 seconds ball at halfcourt, who gets the ball? It is hard to pick Horry because he relies on being open to score high percentage in that situation, Jordan doesn't.

Jun 20, 2005 at 9:58 AM Post #13 of 22
During the Bull's title runs, MJ made so many clutch, game-winning shots -- it was ridiculous. I'm not a real Jordan or Bull's fan, but calling Horry the most clutch player ever seems like a stretch.

Jun 20, 2005 at 11:55 AM Post #15 of 22
Have you guys just started watching BB?

Jordan has made more clutch gaming winning shots in one season than Horry has in entire career! Not only has he consistently made them but everyone on other team knew he was going to make them and could not stop him no matter what defense was employed or how many players tried to stop him........consistently greatest clutch/pressure player ever and surely greatest player in NBA history.

BTW as many great games/shots Horry has made there are many more times he was ineffective or played poor which is why he is not in starting line up and just bench player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back