Is Robert Horry the most clutch player ever?
Jun 20, 2005 at 3:41 PM Post #16 of 22
Trust me, as a chicagoan you were pretty much forced to watch all the bulls playoff games, i've seen it all in clutch time. Craig Ehlo at the foul line...scoring 50 + while suffering from flu like symptoms and dehydration...7 3's against portland...beating a practically invincible phoenix suns team...many more, but you just can't beat Utah game 7 over byron russell, opposing gym, he just stepped up and shut everyone up in that stadium (except for that lone chicago bull fan, you can see in the highlights that he is the only one jumping and screaming lol).

But hearing my mom through the run sums it up best - i can still hear her repetively screaming "pass it to Jordan, pass it to Jordan, just pass it to Jordan (in thick filipino accent of course!)"

Jun 20, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by remilard

Like I said above, Jordan was playing in this finals with such memorable NBA greats as BJ Armstrong and Ben Cartwright, everyone knew who was getting the ball, he got double and triple teamed (yes kids they actually triple teamed this guy) and he still scored. Horry gets shots Jordan never did because he isn't the superstar.

Ahh yes, the fabled "Jordan Rules." Apparently, each team had its own defensive scheme specifically for the Bulls in trying to stop him or at least slow him down - only person that i remember could really guard Jordan straight up was Gary Payton, Jordan gave him his props too.

Jun 20, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #18 of 22
Horry has been a dud the last couple of seasons. Nice to see him back in fine form.

Biggie.

Jun 20, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #20 of 22
you said the word "clutch" and i instantly thought "Reggie." it may or may not be true, but my subconscious believes that it's Miller.

Jun 20, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #21 of 22
I'm still pissed about the buzzer beater Horry missed in his last season with the Lakers against the Spurs in the playoffs.

Laker fans, you know what I'm talking about. So that kind of clouds my judgement. Plus no one's mentioned Jerry West.

Jun 20, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #22 of 22
I'm voting No. Horry is top 5 perhaps, but I can't say the best clutch player of all time. Michael Jordan single-handedly one championships and big games. He would have double and in some cases triple coverage and would pop the rock for money (excuse my homage to Vitale) every time. In fact, with the exception of the few early games after his first retirement in Chicago, I can't recall Jordan missing a clutch shot with the game on the line.

My top 5 Clutch players of all time would be:
Michael Jordan
Larry Bird
Jerry West
Magic Johnson
Robert Horry

Sorry, but I can't give Reggie the nod because he never won a championship. I know he never had a supporting cast, but he didn't kick the ball out too much, either. He was money from the anywhere on the court, but couldn't lift his team up over that hump. Horry did it in Houston and is doing it in San Antonio. He certainly isn't of the same caliber as any Reggie but when he's asked to perform, he always does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back