Is philips shp 8900 as good as senheiser hd 598?
Feb 8, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #2 of 10
one thing i've learned in my journey through audio: you get what you pay for.

but please, provide sources and more info, i am curious myself.

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 10
look into the 9000's

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
I have heard in some forums that it sound so good even though it costs 1/4 times lesser than hd 598. Is that true?

Philips has had the habit of flying under the radar with its audio products. Some of their headphones are of exceptional value but build quality varies. If you buy a Philips headphone try to buy it in the box, as new as possible just to be sure it is in good condition. 

When it comes to Philips and Head-Fi, well Philips is not as aggressive in the marketing department as Sennheiser or Sony so it has been ignored in the past. 

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #7 of 10
I have owned the SHP8900 for a year now and boy do I like these headphones.
The fit is very comfortable, with the cushening designed to embrace your ears.

Next to these, I also own Sennheiser 250 Linear and Sennheiser 480's

Compared with the 250 Linears (very good set, much higher pricepoint), I prefer the Philips phones. More warmth and depth in the sound. The Sennheisers are precise, but not so musical.
Listened to with a Marantz 6050 CD player, with external Aune DAC X1 headphone amp.

They're no longer offered for sale. Do buy a pair whenever offered. Excellent value for money.

Apr 10, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #8 of 10
I've got two pairs of 8900 ( one pair in the shop and one pair in my listeningroom ) and i love them ...actually i sold my hd650, because i like the sound better from the 8900. I was lucky that 8900 was cheap in 2007. They had a costprice there was half of what it is now in 2012. Anyway i would buy a pair again if necessary.

4 m of wire is great when you want to move around ( the wire is a bit stiff, but it's a minor thing ).

there is  both mini and ordinary jack converter in the amp end and a bonus is the micro jack in the headphone end ...which makes it possible to make wires of your own ( i've done that = soft rubber ) 

I made a bend on the middle of the headbrace, because it had a tendency to press on top of the head ( just do a hard bend if it's a problem, the plastic won't break, because it's a soft material )

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #10 of 10
I have Philips SHP 8900 and they sound excellent, they are extremely well balanced in lows midst and highs and have a frequency response from 5 to 30000 hertz and a sensitivity of 106db and 50 mm neodymium drivers.I extremely impressed by these headphones and I would like to add that I have audiophile kind of taste in music . Thanks for reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back