Is PCM out of $100 DVDP different to $2k CDP
Jan 16, 2009 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Shark_Jump

100+ Head-Fier
Simple question.

Is Coaxial/Toslink PCM output signal of a $100 DVDP different to that of a $2k CDP?

A significant point if owning a DAC yet I see conflicting answers to this question. Is there a definitive answer? Has anyone done a signal comparison?

I am assuming the el cheapo player is functioning correctly and not suffering any noise issues.

For what its worth, as it is a digital signal, I would have thought it would make no diference providing equipment was functioning correctly.

Jan 16, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #2 of 6
I think the CDP will technically better then the DVDP, but I don't think it will be an audible difference. I've heard people argue both ways but have yet to have someone come up with a good reason why a $2K and > CDP would sound better.

I however don't think you'll find a diffinative answer as the palcebo runs in and effects peoples opinions etc. There was recently a thread about this as well, which suggested that the major effect would be the amount of jitter, which in turn should not be a problem with a $100DVDP with a digital out signal. (Though this is where I believe iunterpolation kicks in {I could be mixing up audio and video here as i've been setting up a mates plasma this morning}, which of course leads to a signal degredation). However once again, the real question is whether this is audible, and to my ears it isn't (at least from what I have used).

Hope this helped.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #3 of 6
Yes, they're different. Some have compared (myself included), properly implemented (or should I say perfectly implemented and timed) S/PDIF output sounds considerably better than cheap impedance mis-matched and jitter prone (timing errors) digital signal. Yes, that includes all bit-perfect signals.

Now just don't get into comparisons between CD reading algorithms that do automatic error correction (they basically all do); you'll drive yourself nuts with one simple fact - the CD reading algorithm guesses what it thinks should be there.
wink.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #4 of 6
OK. I can see there is not a strightforward answer.

[the palcebo runs in and effects peoples opinions]
A straightforward signal comparison would determine any differences. Has anyone researched this?

[impedance mis-matched and jitter prone (timing errors) digital signal]
Would a half decent DAC be able to overcome this?

Jan 16, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #5 of 6
If I was going to take someones advice on this forum, FallenAngels is diffenatly someone I would listen to. My point of view was assuming you where using an external DAC via a digital out on the transport. I personally am inclined to agree with Fallen Angel in that there is a signicant difference in the quality of the signal, but am not convinced that it is audibly superior when using ane external DAC and comparing tansports.

The problem with these questions is i's subjective when something does become audible (as well as the mention placebo effect). I however think it would be safe to say it's generally agreed that the best way to start is to use a cheap $100 DVDP with a digital out signal available (eg: optical), and feed it to a dac (I personally use the cambridge audio dac magic, using optical out from my computer). Then later try a 'better' transport and if it sounds better to you (and is worth the extra money) upgrade, if not, stay with what you have.
smily_headphones1.gif

Another question in the case of jitter issues, when a sem-descent DAC (like my dac magic) interpolates the sound, can we actually hear the difference (i'm not sre about this, nor do I know how one could prove/disprove this).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back