Is my tomahawk ok?
Aug 2, 2007 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

surge

100+ Head-Fier
hi, i have recently bought the tomahawk. i have realised something that have happened a few times:

while listening to it, there were occasions when the sound starts breaking
(its sounded like listening to the songs thru e amp but without turning the amp on). they it goes away and everything back to normal. i have tried to replicate the situation by pressing the ipod cable or IEM cable but could not get it to happen again. i have also changed the batteries ( this new set of battery has less than 10 hours on it). yet this morning the same thing happened again: sounded ok...then sounded started breaking for less than 2-3 seconds and everthing back to normal. is it normal?

anyone experience the same thing before w any amp? thanks

Aug 2, 2007 at 10:52 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUNS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps it is due to the IC coming loose/having a poor connection? Try fiddling around with that to see if you can replicate the effect.

i have tried tapping the amp when at every possible angle, shaking the amp rather hard while listening...couldnt get the effect.

already pm ray...hope he could help...intermittent problems are just irrtating.

Aug 2, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #5 of 10
I had the same issue with mine. When I asked Ray about it, I told him that I thought the switch might be faulty. He assured me that the switch is of very high quality and costs $4 alone, I believe he said. His suggestion was to take the battery cover off and buff it up with a shirt or cloth. Sometimes finger oils, he said, could break the circuit causing the light to fade and the sound to break up in this way. Also, make sure you have some nice & fresh batteries in there.

While I seem to remember it happening again shortly after I did this, it hasn't happened in a long time (months).

Aug 2, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the same issue with mine. When I asked Ray about it, I told him that I thought the switch might be faulty. He assured me that the switch is of very high quality and costs $4 alone, I believe he said. His suggestion was to take the battery cover off and buff it up with a shirt or cloth. Sometimes finger oils, he said, could break the circuit causing the light to fade and the sound to break up in this way. Also, make sure you have some nice & fresh batteries in there.

While I seem to remember it happening again shortly after I did this, it hasn't happened in a long time (months).

hope i dont sound evil..its good that i am not alone.
eggosmile.gif

you mean that finger prints/stains etc on the battery can cause such problems? can it be so sensitive?

Aug 2, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by surge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eggosmile.gif

you mean that finger prints/stains etc on the battery can cause such problems? can it be so sensitive?

oils from the skin can be pretty corrosive pending on the person, there is a cemetery by my house as legend has it you can see hand marks on the entrance gate sometimes...bet you one of my ex's probably did it..pure evil!

Aug 2, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by surge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eggosmile.gif

Please make sure that the battery compartment is tight & secured very well against the body of the amp & the 2 thumb nuts are tight all the way.
Cheers.
Ray samuels

Aug 2, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #9 of 10
I also have found that the Tomahawk is quite sensitive to lack of power and almost sent mine to Ray when I had this problem. However, provided the back is locked on tight, the springs are definitely pushing the batteries hard against the backplate and the backplate is good and clean, all has been functioning well.
icon10.gif

Aug 3, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please make sure that the battery compartment is tight & secured very well against the body of the amp & the 2 thumb nuts are tight all the way.
Cheers.
Ray samuels

Hi Ray

I think your amps are awesome

do you specificly design for distortion minimisation

you have some good quality amps out there

conglatulations

Users who are viewing this thread

Back