Is my tinnitus permanent?
Jun 22, 2005 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Asterix

Banned
I have had ringing for a week or two that is like a tuning fork in my right ear and it rings in response to sounds. I have never had this kind of intermittent tinnitus before, and I'm wondering if it might be permanent. Anybody have any comments? Thanks.

Jun 22, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #2 of 32
I would try and make an a ppointment with an ear doctor, It couldn't hurt. I get my ears checked at least once a year. As for the tinnitus, I have a mild permanet case. This was caused from my days as a club DJ. Imagine having a 500 watt speaker monitor 2 feet away on both sides of your ears. Now here comes he good part. To mix in the next record you have to cue it on headphones. You can only imagine how loud you have to crank the headphones in that kind of environment to properly cue the next record.

There's a good reason why most DJ's are partially deaf. I got luck by only having a mild case tinnitus, and according to my hearing test i have about normal hearing ability. I wouldn't worry about your tinnitus just go have the doctor take a look. It could be something as simple as some impacted ear wax.

Good luck...

sorry if bored you with my story
frown.gif

Jun 22, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #3 of 32
Yes, I second going and making an appointment with a local ear doctor. I too have a slight permanent case of tinnitus, from what I don't know. It's a high pitched ring that's only apparent to me at night right before I go to sleep and even then it is easily tuned out.

Is the ringing you are hearing a lower pitched ring? I experienced a lower pitched "tuning fork" type ring last week. What you describe is very similar to what I heard. It did worry me as it nearly impared my balance and really made it hard to converse with people. I found that headphone usage actually HELPED in this case! I was surprised. Luckily this lower pitched ring eventually stopped after a couple days.

Maybe you have an ear or throat infection, this seemed to be the case with me. Go see an ear doctor, don't take chances with your hearing dude!
biggrin.gif

Best of luck

Jun 22, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 32
Give your ears a break and stop using the headphones and speakers for a little while. I think tinnitus is different for everyone so no one can tell you if it is permanent.

I have had mild ringing that will last a few days. It seems to be related to my sinuses. Maybe you have a sinus infection. Do you have seasonal allergies?

Jun 22, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #5 of 32
The AKG K340 cured the low level tinnitus which I've had for years. I didn't notice this until a few weeks ago when I was lying in bed at night without my headphones on. I was like "it's so quiet...wait a minute...there's no ringing...OMG THERE'S NO RINGING!!!!"

Jun 22, 2005 at 4:43 AM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajt976
Yes, I second going and making an appointment with a local ear doctor. I too have a slight permanent case of tinnitus, from what I don't know. It's a high pitched ring that's only apparent to me at night right before I go to sleep and even then it is easily tuned out.

Is the ringing you are hearing a lower pitched ring? I experienced a lower pitched "tuning fork" type ring last week. What you describe is very similar to what I heard. It did worry me as it nearly impared my balance and really made it hard to converse with people. I found that headphone usage actually HELPED in this case! I was surprised. Luckily this lower pitched ring eventually stopped after a couple days. I think I noticed it about 1 or 2 weeks ago, and I thought it was coming from somewhere in my setup.

Maybe you have an ear or throat infection, this seemed to be the case with me. Go see an ear doctor, don't take chances with your hearing dude!
biggrin.gif

Best of luck

No, it's a high pitch ring in the right ear that comes and goes in response to sounds. It's easy to hear when there is a short, abrupt loud sound like if I'm listening to someone talk on my headphones.

I have had intermittant constant ringing of varying degrees but usually too mild to notice except when I wake up in the morning. I also sometimes get temporary ringing after exposure to loud noise which always goes away quickly. Sometimes when I am stressed out I hear a low-pitch ring that also goes away quickly. None of this really bothered me. But this time it is quite bothersome since it comes and goes and is quite loud.

Jun 22, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #7 of 32
Hmm...interesting. That sounds a little different than what I was experiencing, but I do know what you mean by abrupt noises. I really didn't care to talk to anyone during those couple of days because it bothered my ear so much. Do you feel any pressure on your ear? I know that I felt a slight bit of pressure on occasion but "popping" my ears seemed to help.

I would say get it checked out by an ear/nose/throat doctor if you can. There are quite a few explanations for tinnitus, he/she could probably sort out the problem much faster than most of us could.

Jun 22, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajt976
Hmm...interesting. That sounds a little different than what I was experiencing, but I do know what you mean by abrupt noises. I really didn't care to talk to anyone during those couple of days because it bothered my ear so much. Do you feel any pressure on your ear? I know that I felt a slight bit of pressure on occasion but "popping" my ears seemed to help.

I would say get it checked out by an ear/nose/throat doctor if you can. There are quite a few explanations for tinnitus, he/she could probably sort out the problem much faster than most of us could.

I have been to doctor(s) before when I had a problem with it a few years ago. They didn't seem to be able to do much except give me a hearing test, and tell me to watch the dB's. They couldn't find any problems with my ears or hearing back then. But if it doesn't get better I will go see a doctor. I am under the impression right now that it's aggravated by high levels of exposure to loud noise, which is kind of hard to avoid for me, but I'm not sure about this.

Jun 22, 2005 at 7:01 AM Post #9 of 32
I had those noises as a result of play SR225 too loud. It lasted nearly two weeks. I sopped using headphones and just tried to be in quiet surroundings for two weeks. The I started listening to headphones again at very low volumes. (It was more noticeable in closed headphones and at first, I thought that there was something wrong with my mp3 player)

Eventually, I forgot about it and then I realised that it had gone. Now I am so careful about volumes.

Jun 22, 2005 at 7:36 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
I had those noises as a result of play SR225 too loud. It lasted nearly two weeks. I sopped using headphones and just tried to be in quiet surroundings for two weeks. The I started listening to headphones again at very low volumes. (It was more noticeable in closed headphones and at first, I thought that there was something wrong with my mp3 player)

Eventually, I forgot about it and then I realised that it had gone. Now I am so careful about volumes.

I think it's because of how loud I played my 650's/Silver Dragon the 2nd day after I got the SD. I wanted to really hear it so I turned it up much louder than usual and I think that's what triggered it, since I don't remember experiencing it until shortly after that. I even thought it was the cable itself and e-mailed Moon Audio about it being defective! When I switched to the stock cable I couldn't hear it quite as well. The silver really brings out the ring. LOL

Right now it is still present in my right ear.

Jun 22, 2005 at 7:46 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterix
I think it's because of how loud I played my 650's/Silver Dragon the 2nd day after I got the SD. I wanted to really hear it so I turned it up much louder than usual and I think that's what triggered it, since I don't remember experiencing it until shortly after that. I even thought it was the cable itself and e-mailed Moon Audio about it being defective! When I switched to the stock cable I couldn't hear it quite as well. The silver really brings out the ring. LOL

Right now it is still present in my right ear.

Asterix , if what you said above was the trigger, than unfortunately it may be permanent depending on the amount of damage. Do you find listening to phones now exacerbates it?

Jun 22, 2005 at 8:06 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by AML
Asterix , if what you said above was the trigger, than unfortunately it may be permanent depending on the amount of damage. Do you find listening to phones now exacerbates it?

Possibly, I am not sure yet.

Jun 22, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
`what did your doctor say about your tenitus?

I haven't been yet, I'm giving it a little while before I make an appointment to see if it goes away itself. There is not much they can do once the damage has been done anyway, besides tell to you to watch the volume levels and use ear protection to avoid further damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back