Is my setup "Hi-Fi" - Opinions Please...
Jun 11, 2009 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

jstalz

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for your opinions on my setup. I have recently purchased a few components for my computer audio setup and I am wondering if this is considered a "Hi-Fi" setup. I know that "Hi-Fi" can mean different things to different people, but that is why I started this thread.

My setup consists of:

MacBook Pro (Line Out)
iTunes 320kbps (Lossy)
Mackie MR5 Studio Monitors
Tapco by Mackie SW10 Active Sub

Opinions Please...

Jun 12, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #3 of 21
dude, that's a dumb question. but it's ok, dumb questions are also legitimate. I'll try to give you a different perspective:

Instead of asking yourself if your schlong can fit into the highly prestigious club of "hi-fi" schlongs, I'd ask a different question: ARE YOU ENJOYING THE SOUND that your system makes? Do you listen to lots of music?

I heard many $2k loudspeaker systems (+amp + cdp , of course) which make you want to just sit and listen for more. On the other hand, I heard a few $50k-$80k system which sound like crap.

The thing is with "hi-fi" is that the more system costs, or to be more exact, the higher quality it is, the harder it gets to find good synergy and exploit the full potential of your gear. Therefore, "HI-FI" components won't necessarily give you the nirvana experience you're looking.

So stop asking lame questions, enjoy your setup, and if you want to improve and have some extra bucks in your pocket, come here and get recommendations on what should be your next step.

Jun 12, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 21
You asked for opinions, so I'll give you one.

No.

- source is lossy
- a/d converter is weak
- speakers are not remarkable

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You asked for opinions, so I'll give you one.

No.

- source is lossy
- a/d converter is weak
- speakers are not remarkable

I appreciate the honesty.

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #6 of 21
After thinking about Matanoosh's remarks, I realize the question is dumb. I am just looking for peoples opinions on the setup. It may not be the best out there, but I worked hard for it.

Jun 12, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by matanoosh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Instead of asking yourself if your schlong can fit into the highly prestigious club of "hi-fi" schlongs, I'd ask a different question: ARE YOU ENJOYING THE SOUND that your system makes?

+1.

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #12 of 21
Hi-fi, yes I would say so. Without having heard it..

But to take further steps you should consider:
* Go lossless (Apple Lossless).
* Buy an external DAC.

Jun 13, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #13 of 21
hi:

in my very short experience with computer audio, the adition of a external dac made a audible improvement of the overall SQ. I also use mp3 320.

I got a cheap dac, the styleaudio hd1v. I think it was worth the money so I am cosidering upgrading to a better one.

Jun 13, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jstalz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking for your opinions on my setup. I have recently purchased a few components for my computer audio setup and I am wondering if this is considered a "Hi-Fi" setup. I know that "Hi-Fi" can mean different things to different people, but that is why I started this thread.

My setup consists of:

MacBook Pro (Line Out)
iTunes 320kbps (Lossy)
Mackie MR5 Studio Monitors
Tapco by Mackie SW10 Active Sub

Opinions Please...

Honestly, why do you care what we think? Audio is about making yourself happy. Forget everyone else. If you like the sound, then you just saved yourself a LOT of money.

There will ALWAYS be better, but you have to set a budget and get the best that you can within it. If you can stick to that, you will be happy. If you are always thinking about what will be around the corner, you will not.

Jun 13, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #15 of 21
In determining how good the system sounds you may want to ask a few freinds to sit down for a listen. In turn go listen to some favorite tracks on other systems and listen for the differences you may be missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back