Is My Receiver A Headphone Amp As Well?
Sep 12, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #16 of 44
Curious to know what people think of the headphone stage in NAD Integrated Amps, sounds good to me but I've had nothing to compare it to.

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #17 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool. HK stuff, even in these days of cost-cutting and integration, is generally well built. Perhaps one of the keys is that it's a stereo amp and not a bazillion channel surround amp rated for umpteen*125W with a 400VA transformer
wink.gif

I think that is a simple but very valuable point which never occurred to me. I also wonder whether perhaps integrated amps have a better chance of having a good jack than a receiver or pre amp of similar price? I have no idea of whether it holds true, but it seems to make logical sense, given that an amp is an amp after all.

Anyone have the Creek Destiny?
smile.gif

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #18 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is me. I've been using my Onkyo integrated to drive my headphones since I got into this hobby, and I think it does a fabulous job. It's hard to believe it could get much better, but I have got to know, so I am in the process of auditioning two amps from retailers with satisfaction guarantees. I'm not going to be able to totally relax with my Onkyo unless I know for sure, even with a member on this forum posting that it sounds almost indistinguishable from a GS-1. Obviously, it's also possible that I don't have audiophile ears, but that's just as valuable information.

Yeah that's where I'm at with my Yamaha RX-V2700, which is their second-from-top-of-the-line receiver as of two years ago. They drive my Denon 7000s fabulously. I'm tempted to get a nice headphone amp out of curiosity, but it would have to be one of those $1000+ amps to make a difference I suspect. The sound is so excellent through my Yamaha that a $300 amp or portable amp would probably degrade the quality. But there's always that tug of curiosity...........

Sep 12, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #19 of 44
My Marantz 2270 (from the seventies) does a great job with Sennheiser HD600.

Also with AKG K1000, of course, but that's another thing.

Would it be a mistake to say that most old good stereo amps have pretty good or very good headphone outputs?

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #20 of 44
yeah im using my, pretty old but very good, yamaha dsp a1 reciever from 98, and it sounds great with my ath a900's, im curious if like a c2c would make a difference but ill probably wait till i can get to a meet to try it. i think all i need is a better source for now

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #21 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Would it be a mistake to say that most old good stereo amps have pretty good or very good headphone outputs?

The vintage marantz receivers I had did't do very well with low impedance headphones as the noise floor is too high. Morever, I didn't find the headphone out to be very detail either.

May 28, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #22 of 44
Apology for digging up old stuff but I got the same question too. I'm planning to use the Denon PMA-1510ae to power my phones. Has any1 had experience with this one? 

May 28, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #23 of 44

Quote:

You would not be mistaken at all,what more could you want in an amp,Full discrete circuit,treble,bass balance controls and excellent build quality,not to mention looks.

I use a Sansui AU-3900 for my K1000 and could not wish for a better sound.Most of these 70's amps were designed for good bass/mids with a roll of up top,a perfect combination for most phones.

Nearly all these amps from the 70's have a direct headphone out from the amp with only the addition of a couple resistors.

I have run CD3000's and SA5000's from it as well and it is superb,match it with a good dac/soundcard and you have an amp that will drive anything,with authority.

May 29, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #24 of 44
If you can adjust volume by turning the volume knob with your headphones attached yes your receiver does amp your headphones.

Currently I am out of headphone amps. I have not liked my Yamahas headphone out put with my low impedance headphones though to say it sounds crap is an exaggeration of course.. I have no reference for the T1 but it surely sounds great out of my Yamaha RX-V663. Superb soundstaging where it collapses on most of my low impedance headphones which is one of the biggest problems I have with it. Plus it adds a bit much warmth.

A plus with a receiver is you get so many ways to alter the presentation particularly if you use a home cinema receiver and you often get some basic equalizing options for it as well that is better then software. Otherwise you have the pure direct mode to cut off everything unnecessary including signal to monitor.

Jul 12, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #28 of 44
Really? There was a thread on Head-fi where the OP sent emails to various receiver manufacturers, including Pioneer, Denon, Marantz..., it turned out that the headamp section for most of them was directly coupled the main output.

Quote:
The only way a receiver/integrated amp rivals a dedicated headphone amp, in my experience, is if the headphone out is directly coupled to the output transformers, i.e. some Leben and Cary integrated amps.

Jul 12, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #29 of 44

Quote:
Has anyone used high-impedance 600 ohm headphones on Onkyo high-end receivers, and if so how well do they work?

[size=medium]
The HD280's I'm borrowing from my friend sound great out of my Onkyo tx-8555. I know, they're not 600 ohm headphones, and the 8555 isn't their highest-end receiver (overall), but it is their highest end stereo receiver. Take that how you will, I guess.
[/size]

Jul 13, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #30 of 44
I have been doing some A/B tests with a pair of HD650s and my KICAS Caliente amp and HK 3490 receiver (trying to see if its worth keeping the Caliente).  The HK 3490 sounds just as detailed as the Caliente, but not as quiet.  I am actually pretty amazed at how well the HK drives the Sennheisers.  The only down side is that you can hear a little bit of a hissing sound during soft passages.  It's not a bother when the music is busy, but it's enough to keep me on the fence about selling the Caliente.  I don't know if changing my source to the digital-in will make a difference, or if it's just a noisy jack.      

Users who are viewing this thread

Back