Is My Problem the Interconnect?
Dec 2, 2011 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nmxdaven

100+ Head-Fier
My "portable" rig at the moment is Laptop-> Fiio E10 -> JSDLabs CMoyBB -> Denon AHD2000's.

When I run the volume a little high (Not nearly high enough to make the speakers distort by themselves) I get some distortion in the low end. This distortion is not present (even at volume levels much above where the distortion occurs with the full set up) if im just running the CMoy or the E10 by themselves. Do you think the problem is the interconnect or is it another problem? I'm currently using a Fiio L2 for the interconnect. Bass Boost is not turned on any of the devices. Not either the E10 or the CMoy and running a Flat EQ on the laptop. Battery in the CMoy is fresh.

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #3 of 9
I find it strange that it doesnt happen when using just the cmoy by itself though. and the cmoy is being fed though a line out on the E10, so its not getting pre-amped.

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #4 of 9
Thus I am saying it could be clipping. Clipping happens when the amp is unable to output as much power you are asking, which is more apparent when the input signal is strong, i.e. cmoyBB is unable to properly amplify E10's strong line-out signal as asked output is over cmoyBB's limit, the result is clipping.

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
My "portable" rig at the moment is Laptop-> Fiio E10 -> JSDLabs CMoyBB -> Denon AHD2000's.

When I run the volume a little high (Not nearly high enough to make the speakers distort by themselves) I get some distortion in the low end. This distortion is not present (even at volume levels much above where the distortion occurs with the full set up) if im just running the CMoy or the E10 by themselves. Do you think the problem is the interconnect or is it another problem? I'm currently using a Fiio L2 for the interconnect. Bass Boost is not turned on any of the devices. Not either the E10 or the CMoy and running a Flat EQ on the laptop. Battery in the CMoy is fresh.

I had the same problem with my cmoy bb.  It was clipping with my d2000 and sr225, so I got rid of it.  

Dec 2, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I think I figured it out. Emailed John and he gave the suggestion that it could be the line-out from the E10 that was clipping. Reduced my source volume on the PC to 20% from 50% and cranked up the CMoy pot to 70% and no clipping.

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I think I figured it out. Emailed John and he gave the suggestion that it could be the line-out from the E10 that was clipping. Reduced my source volume on the PC to 20% from 50% and cranked up the CMoy pot to 70% and no clipping.

Don't think it was the E10's line-out, as I have it on 100% all the time and I didn't heard any clipping on my speaker. Anyway, glad you find a way to solve the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back