Is my obsession with iem(s) normal?
Oct 12, 2014 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

crossidmary

Head-Fier
Hello fellow head-fiers.
I've posted a couple of times with little to no response. Am I not posting in the right section? I have a confession to make... I am an iemaholic. I've actually gone as far as to part with my beloved sound system to fund new iem purchases. As I become more aware of what's available to me in this market, I get a little confused. I want them all.
Not to keep, just to try and compare. I started this journey into higher end iem, not realizing I was starting near the top SQ wise. I began with Etymotic Hf5 and fell in love with my music all over again ( comparing only to Apple oem buds at that time)
When the Hf5 broke - I was broke and began searching for something to replace them with and moved to the mc3. Disappointing after the Hf5 to be sure. These had to suffice as money was tight. As of late, I've been experimenting with different driver types (and quantity of drivers) and different brands. I know that fit is extremely important and that how a particular iem may sound is somewhat subjective. I'm a pretty big fan of "canal" type phones as in the Ety line up. I've grown to have a certain appreciation for my Audiofly AF78 although they fit shallow.
I would sincerely appreciate some input on next steps. I know at some point we get into the "law of diminishing returns" - that at some point with high-end audio the improvements are incremental at best; not exponential like comparing $20 iem to $500 ones.
All that said, I'm looking at the Ety ER4 series - does anyone know what the letters at the end of the models mean? There's an "s" a "p" and a "pt".
Also considering the highly rated JVC HA-FX850.... and the Sennheiser IE80.
This site is full of great advice, I've learned alot from reading through some of the reviews and forums.
Does anyone know of another "hybrid" type as I absolutely love the sound of the af78, just not able to get the best fit.
btw - I call myself crossidmary because I'm a huge Tull fan. I'm not cross-eyed nor is my name Mary.
Thanks for any input.
"Life's a Long Song, but the tune ends too soon for us all"

Oct 13, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #2 of 3
Sony now has hybrid IEMs. 

Gear obsession is not new. I once made the mistake of adding up the value of everything sitting on my desk and it was quite scary and I'm not anywhere near as bad as some people. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back