Is my new Logitech UE 6000 defective?
Feb 6, 2014 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

audioUNfile

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. I'm brand new to this whole deal, and I wanted just a little help. I just purchased the UE 6000 after some research and I know that defective ones are very common. I wanted to see if anyone could give some tips on what to listen for in the sound.

I read somewhere that someone's new pair sounded muffled or "veiled" and when they tested one in the store it sounded a lot better. Problem is, I'm too new to know what on earth sounds right or defective. It all sounds better then my sennheiser 201hd that I gave to my girlfriend.

Even after some (modest, 15 to 20 hours) burn in, I'm not blown away. It's not bad, it just still seems a little dull I guess.

If anyone has any ideas on maybe what it is I should be hearing from a solid headphone like this one that would help me out a lot I think.

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 11
Hey guys. I'm brand new to this whole deal, and I wanted just a little help. I just purchased the UE 6000 after some research and I know that defective ones are very common. I wanted to see if anyone could give some tips on what to listen for in the sound.

I read somewhere that someone's new pair sounded muffled or "veiled" and when they tested one in the store it sounded a lot better. Problem is, I'm too new to know what on earth sounds right or defective. It all sounds better then my sennheiser 201hd that I gave to my girlfriend.

Even after some (modest, 15 to 20 hours) burn in, I'm not blown away. It's not bad, it just still seems a little dull I guess.

If anyone has any ideas on maybe what it is I should be hearing from a solid headphone like this one that would help me out a lot I think.

Is this with the Amp on or off, I found it took about 200 hours before it opened up without the onBoard Noise Cancellation on, with the Noise Cancellation on, or when the headphone is fed by it's internal amp, I find that it opened up very nicely 

Feb 7, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for the response!

Yes I was speaking about the passive mode. I should've made that clear. The NC turned on does give a little boost but I'm sure I'll be to lazy to replace batteries often.

200 hours...that's crazy I never would've thought so much time could be neccessary. Do most headphones benefit from that much time or does it change drastically between phones?

Like I said they aren't bad. In fact the vocals sound really great but the music at times can sound a little sluggish I guess.

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #4 of 11
UE 6000 has big sound units. Unlike a in-ear headphone, it has to use a longer time to burn in. There is no short cut man, so go ahead and keep using it. You will find out that it worth for investment after it is burnt in.

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #5 of 11
UE 6000 has big sound units. Unlike a in-ear headphone, it has to use a longer time to burn in. There is no short cut man, so go ahead and keep using it. You will find out that it worth for investment after it is burnt in.

Yeah that make sense.

I was doing some more research and I read that these might need an amp in passive mode. Have you guys seen this to be the case? It makes sense since the NC works as it's own amp.

I thought that it wouldn't need one as that was something I didn't want to deal with yet. I may have gotten confused as with the NC it obviously wouldn't need an amp when using a portable player. But in passive mode it does take a lot of volume to get it to a decent amount of sound.

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #6 of 11
Yeah that make sense.

I was doing some more research and I read that these might need an amp in passive mode. Have you guys seen this to be the case? It makes sense since the NC works as it's own amp.

I thought that it wouldn't need one as that was something I didn't want to deal with yet. I may have gotten confused as with the NC it obviously wouldn't need an amp when using a portable player. But in passive mode it does take a lot of volume to get it to a decent amount of sound.

Oh yea good point! I never used the amp in passive mode but that might help a lot, 

Feb 9, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #7 of 11
I'm using a e07k now in passive mode. It is a really beginner level portable amp/dac. It works great for me. According to the impedance stuff I read in here
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/ultimate-headphone-guide-articles-what-headphone-amplifier-and-why-do-i-need-one
, it works perfectly for a headphone beginner like me. I will enjoy this set up quite a period of time, until my friend helps me make a customize in-ear headphone for me. You can go check the product information in this link.
www.fiio.net (select product - Andes E07K - specification)
http://ue.logitech.com/en-us/product/ue6000 (select technical specifications)
You can compare the impedance from these two site.
If you are planning to buy one, you can get it on amazon.com. It's around $89.

Feb 9, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 11
I'm using a e07k now in passive mode. It is a really beginner level portable amp/dac. It works great for me. According to the impedance stuff I read in here
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/ultimate-headphone-guide-articles-what-headphone-amplifier-and-why-do-i-need-one
, it works perfectly for a headphone beginner like me. I will enjoy this set up quite a period of time, until my friend helps me make a customize in-ear headphone for me. You can go check the product information in this link.
www.fiio.net (select product - Andes E07K - specification)
http://ue.logitech.com/en-us/product/ue6000 (select technical specifications)
You can compare the impedance from these two site.
If you are planning to buy one, you can get it on amazon.com. It's around $89.

Make sure the cable is plugged all the way in. The headphone is pretty efficient and really does not need to be amped to reach sufficient volume.

Yea, a beginner amp/dac like the E07k would be great for the UE 6000! And amping is not for Volume, rather using an amp/dac combination ensures there is minimal distortion and maxmium audio quality, as teh amp/Dac in most celluarphones and iPods are either low quality, or noisy due to the other electronics that operate on teh same board as them. 

Not saying CellPhones have bad sound, but a dedicated amp/dac should b an improvement 

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks for all the responses guys!

Just to update everyone. I checked out the review thread of the Logitech UE series for a little more information. I'm mostly under the impression that I am just not used to the sound signature of these headphones.

Since te treble is "rolled off" as they say, and finding out that this often gives a "veiled" or "dull" sound, I think this is all I'm hearing.

I never realized how different headphones can sound. These are in stark contrast to the Sony MDR x10 that I used for a bit before, and the MDR 7506 I had for a very short time before that.

Overall it has been a great learning experience and I'm excited to experiment further with different sound signatures. It's all very interesting. Thanks again for everyone's help!

Oct 3, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #11 of 11
Sorry for the thread necro but I have the same problem as the op so I thought I would ask here.

My UE 6000 sounds pretty dull out of the fiio x3 and the active mode makes only a small difference in sound. Out of my galaxy 1 smartphone, its much brighter and the active/passive is very noticeable. This is the opposite from all my other headphones which sound much better from the x3. At first I thought it was just me (i.e. unrefined ear mistaking jangly sound for detail) but everyone Ive let listen to them has said the same thing and preferred the UE 6000 sound out of a crappy old smartphone vs the x3. Am I missing something obvious? Is there a way to correct this or a reason this would happen that makes the UE6000 unsuitable with the x3?

Im a bit of treble guy usually. I like some headphones that people sometimes review as having harsh treble (i.e. akg k550). One of the reasons I originally thought I might be mistaking more accurate sound from the x3 as dull before others heard the same thing I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back