IS MY MOTHERBOARD CPU SOCET Damaged?
Jun 26, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by sofronitsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
since the only programs I plan to use on this audio-only PC are foobar2000, EAC, and a pdf viewer ... I saved some cash and went with the e4400. (I've got 1.5 tb storage for my cd/ lp collection
smily_headphones1.gif
) So a budget machine.. so far the installation has been a nightmare... I didn't get the right number of MB mounting screws with my case so I had to drive for an hour to a pc hardware store and bought some more... when I got home they didn't fit the standoffs... had to go back and buy new standofsfs. This is my second day of building and I just got to the motherboard.. now this, lol.

Ya, that should be plenty fast.

Sucks to hear about the troubles with the build so far...I've had my fair share of builds go sour as well
tongue.gif

Just cross your fingers on the first boot and make sure nothing is DOA, because that is a PITA to troubleshoot!
mad.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #17 of 23
Someone posted this in another forum

Go here : http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/dp965lt/
Download the motherboard photo to My Photos and use "+" and rotate.
You'll see the same row of center blocks that turn up on the zol.com photo and in your own photo (partially blocked since the socket clamp is closed ).
I'd say your question is answered, let the build begin.
I don't remember ever paying any any attention to this before but should it come up again we can now answer.

Jun 26, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #19 of 23
Look like resistors to me. Decent sized ones, actually. I wouldn't worry about a couple missing ones, probably just a different version of the same board.

Jun 27, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look like resistors to me. Decent sized ones, actually. I wouldn't worry about a couple missing ones, probably just a different version of the same board.

nope. not resistors.

Those are ceramic SMD capacitors. and your board is fine, if they were knocked off, they would have tore off the smd pads as well.

AND, even if they had been knocked off, your board would have functioned fine.

If you look on your board, you will see empty smd pads everywhere. They exclude some non vital components to save money.

However, replacing some of them can increase overclockability. I usually go through and add back the components on all my boards and graphic cards so I can reach max clocks.

Jun 27, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #23 of 23
1. CPU Socket is fine
2. Intel designs boards for 3rd parties. One PCB is often used as a base for a whole bunch of designs, some ATX, some uATX. Some with or without firewire, 7.1/5.1, etc. It's normal for even the most expensive boards to have open places (that's usually where the components of cheaper models are).

Quote:

Should have just thrown in the CPU, worst case scenario is that it doesnt work.

I agree with this one. Both CPU and board have a 3 year NBD advance warranty replacement for the reseller that sold you the board + CPU. You simply can't go wrong with it: Intel has by far the best service of any manufacturer I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back