is my headphone killing me? another thing to do during burn in period.
Jan 7, 2009 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

paulchiu

Headphoneus Supremus
so, i am into my 40th hour burning in my denon ah-d7000.

this baby sounded nearly as smooth as my everyday can, the shure se530 right out of the box.
quickly i discovered that driving it from a nano, iphone, or even the audio out from the macbook pro (circa 2007) was not enough.

so, took the headroom max out of the closet and set the burn in process on its way 3 days ago.

today, got hold of a tri-field meter to measure for excessive magnetic energy. some researchers have said that intense magnetic waves can cause problems, like people who lived under power lines or relay stations.

anyway, the meter showed, as you can see, the denon barely registered a 1+ milligauss of a/c magnetic field energy. according to reports, you need to be fearful of any proximity to devices where levels of 3.0 milligauss is reached, so 1+ is well under that.

so, back to doing something else during this burn in.

paul

55351c039ddb9451a061d2649bc0b27e.jpg

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 30
So, if I understood you correctly, it's NOT killing you, right?

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 30
Dude, it's just a headphone, not a human baby. Just put them on, listen, and enjoy!

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 30
"Some researchers" you say. Some other "researchers" want you to use magnets for healing purposes... Isn't that kind of strange? And governments and real scientists generally claim that there is no substance to either claim.

To be on the safe you should always wear a tinfoil hat. That way you won't be healed, harmed, or anything. You'll just look utterly cool!

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 30
nope

meter says it's safe.

paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, if I understood you correctly, it's NOT killing you, right?

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #7 of 30
i did, for about 2 hours, then got disappointed at my amps.

need a better one for these denons, for sure.

bach's toccata & fugue in d sent shivers down to my stomach, chills filling both shoulders (yes, it's also cold here in nyc) i think a stronger amp can send shivers down to the toes during the fugue....

paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you just listen to them?

Just let what happens happen and enjoy some music.

Jan 8, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 30
i am just reacting to those 'in your face' reports from some medical journal.
and it just so happens that my friend's got one of these meters...

thought it was fun, while i burn the denons in.

besides, i found out that my computer disk drives are extremely high in magnetic emissions, so now i placed them at least 3 feet away from my organs.

paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, it's just a headphone, not a human baby. Just put them on, listen, and enjoy!

Jan 8, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #9 of 30
...you mean, looking like this?

hillary_tinfoil_hat.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by mape00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Some researchers" you say. Some other
To be on the safe you should always wear a tinfoil hat. That way you won't be healed, harmed, or anything. You'll just look utterly cool!

Jan 8, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulchiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am just reacting to those 'in your face' reports from some medical journal.
and it just so happens that my friend's got one of these meters...

thought it was fun, while i burn the denons in.

besides, i found out that my computer disk drives are extremely high in magnetic emissions, so now i placed them at least 3 feet away from my organs.

paul

:facepalm: I think we have another patrick82 here, folks.

Jan 8, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #11 of 30
please elaborate ....

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
:facepalm: I think we have another patrick82 here, folks.

Jan 8, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #12 of 30
Just look at Patrick82.

His posts I think a ton of fun to read. His youtube videos on the other hand, extremely creepy.

Have fun.

Jan 8, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #13 of 30
That gauss meter can't tell you what the rate of change in the field is.

At audio frequencies, you don't have to fear anything.

If we were talking about 1mG at 2ghz, you might have something to fear.

There's been a lot of talk about people living under power lines but there's no evidence. The department of energy has gone as far as to build outdoor laboratories consisting of entire electric grids and houses with modular electrical systems, and found nothing to even suggest that living near high tension power lines even guarantees that you're exposed to high EM.

One of my good friends works 5 or 6 days a week with superconducting electromagnets putting out 7 teslas and 11 teslas. 11 teslas is 110,000,000 mG. This is one of those jobs where you can't wear a non-digital watch because just being there will break it. This is one of those labs where loose steel objects have to be kept out because they will literally fly across the room and dent the equipment.

He's hardly the only guy with his job - there are at least several hundred guys with his job, going back at least 15 years. You'd think that if just being exposed to a magnetic field on a regular basis would hurt you, at least one magnet lab guy would have gotten sick by now.

Jan 8, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #14 of 30
Jan 8, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #15 of 30
eric,

does your no-watch friend have any kids?

still scared,

paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That gauss meter can't tell you what the rate of change in the field is.

At audio frequencies, you don't have to fear anything.

If we were talking about 1mG at 2ghz, you might have something to fear.

There's been a lot of talk about people living under power lines but there's no evidence. The department of energy has gone as far as to build outdoor laboratories consisting of entire electric grids and houses with modular electrical systems, and found nothing to even suggest that living near high tension power lines even guarantees that you're exposed to high EM.

One of my good friends works 5 or 6 days a week with superconducting electromagnets putting out 7 teslas and 11 teslas. 11 teslas is 110,000,000 mG. This is one of those jobs where you can't wear a non-digital watch because just being there will break it. This is one of those labs where loose steel objects have to be kept out because they will literally fly across the room and dent the equipment.

He's hardly the only guy with his job - there are at least several hundred guys with his job, going back at least 15 years. You'd think that if just being exposed to a magnetic field on a regular basis would hurt you, at least one magnet lab guy would have gotten sick by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back