Is my concern over using IEM's reasonable?
Jan 19, 2008 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Jasphones

New Head-Fier
I'd like to get a set of nice IEM's with significant ambient dB reduction (eg: UE-10 or 11 Pros) but all the talk about how the drivers "couple" to your ear drums makes me a bit uncomfortable. It seems like unexpected dynamic peaks, like those that computers sometimes spit out, could totally fry your ear buds. Any extra room in my dorm is used by my stereo, so no room for CD's -- all of my music comes from lossless rips sitting on my hard drives. I'd hate for a system sound or something to come out of no where and *BONG!* my ears into submission. I'd like to continue being the only person I know who is able to keep their cell phone volume at "0."

Anyway. Anyone have experience with unexpected dynamics smacking your ears around, or is this not as much of an issue as I think?
confused.gif

Jan 19, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #2 of 16
Quite an extreme aim for a first time poster IMO.

You might wanna look at other canalphone alternatives (though going to the top saves you from this trouble), and read up on those which fit your musical tastes.

Be aware that what reaches the eardrum may vary from individuals with universal fit canalphones.

Anyways, welcome to HeadFi, and may you refrain from being poisoned by the possible temptations you maybe driven to seek here...
smily_headphones1.gif

Otherwise, sorry about your wallet
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #4 of 16
Aiming high with the mention of UE10 and UE11
wink.gif

Jan 19, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasphones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems like unexpected dynamic peaks, like those that computers sometimes spit out, could totally fry your ear buds.

First of all, to spend $1000 on premium IEMs such as the UE10/UE11 and just source them from your soundcard is such a crying shame. Its like installing a Ferrari engine into a VW Vanagon: what's the point?--it'll still be junk, the same junk sound out of a UE10/UE11 from a soundcard.

In order to hear these premium IEMs shine at its best, you'll need a dedicated DAC and/or amp which might run you up at least grand more (depending on your preferred setup).

But if you want something to listen to straight out of the computer, IEM's would be a bad choice in that they'll pickup too many electrical static from the computer. I'd recommend headphones under $100 for that application.

Jan 19, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by greydragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First of all, to spend $1000 on premium IEMs such as the UE10/UE11 and just source them from your soundcard is such a crying shame. Its like installing a Ferrari engine into a VW Vanagon: what's the point?--it'll still be junk, the same junk sound out of a UE10/UE11 from a soundcard.

In order to hear these premium IEMs shine at its best, you'll need a dedicated DAC and/or amp which might run you up at least grand more (depending on your preferred setup).

But if you want something to listen to straight out of the computer, IEM's would be a bad choice in that they'll pickup too many electrical static from the computer. I'd recommend headphones under $100 for that application.

I didn't say I was going to run them straight out of my computer.
confused.gif

I'm outputting lossless audio files via the TOSLINK out of my Macbook Pro. My Marantz --> Rotel --> B&W home stereo will attest to the fact that this, in no way, sounds like "junk."

Jan 19, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #8 of 16
I think you would be extreamly happy with the UE's but I would reccomend a DAC if you are going to listen from your pc. You can controll more factors if you add a DAC. I have never had any issues listening from my pc with my UE's nor from any of my dap's I have had.

Welcome to Head-fi. Posted before your post went through. Ue's are amazing IEM's. What type of music do you listen to? What kind of sound are you looking for?

Jan 19, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #9 of 16
I wouldn't worry too much about the IEM's frying due to sudden peaks, rather your ears may not enjoy them. I think everyone's who's used headphones for long enough has encountered a volume control bumped to a wrong position and a sudden blasts of sound. The problem usually is the volume control. Normal listening shouldn't have such dynamic swings to blow your eardrums or your speakers/headphones (unless its recorded improperly). Keep control of your volume control and you shouldn't have a problem.

Computer system sounds really should be turned off for such a high end system you're putting together. No point in spending thousands of $$$ if you're computer is dithering or converting or generally messing with all your perfect 0's and 1's.

If you haven't yet, try Mac - Audio Playback - Benchmark for tips on setting up your computer.

Jan 19, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #10 of 16
I'd check the specs on the IEMs for their maximum SPLs. Not that you'd ever
want to run them up to that level, but that should tell you what could happen with a sudden burst from your source. As long as the maximum SPL won't cause immediate damage, you should be ok. Of course, the drivers are awfully small, so they won't take kindly to the abuse either.

If what you are after is maximum isolation, I think you'll see that most of the better universal fit IEMs are very similar.. you don't necessarily need to go to the UE10/11 for that.
IMO, your choice of IEM or headphone should depend more on SQ, budget and comfort.

Sorry for your wallet
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #11 of 16
I haven't had issues with excessive dynamic peaks slamming your ears, but I have had issues with unexpected crackles and pops, especially when powering the system up and down with canalphones in your ears, or unplugging them and plugging them back in. There are times when loud sounds will smack you hard in the eardrums.

The thing is, it's not really that loud, and your ear has machinery that is designed to protect you against sudden loud noise, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Sustained high-volume noise does significantly more damage to your ears than sudden high-volume peaks, which is why average SPL of a concert is much more indicative of the hearing damage that it can cause. I.e. you can listen to classical music all day long at live levels with 120dB peaks but it will do nowhere near the damage than 1 hour of rock at rock concert levels, with 120dB of average SPL.

Canalphones are a professional item first, and a consumer item second. I'm a bit worried about canalphone saturation of the market - a lot of them are pushing 120dB sensitivity, and given how teens listen to their ipods at the maximum volume it can put out, regardless of what it sounds like or how their ears are taking the SPL, there is potential to greatly extend the hearing damage that personal listening devices are already causing. In a canalphone, it is your responsibility to limit the volume to whatever level you see fit. You can protect your hearing with a canalphone and effectively lower the SPL you're listening at by isolating outside noise, but you can also destroy your hearing if you're careless.

Well, I lie. I'm not worried about it at all. If teens want to destroy their hearing, it's their choice. Natural selection at work, as it were.

I doubt you could fry your earbuds this way. I've had many canalphones over the years and I've yet to have a driver fail, though not for lack of trying. I've put my Etys through the washing machine and they're still fine, though of course that's a different kind of mechanical stress entirely
tongue.gif

I think you'll be quite happy with the UE11 or UE10. I use the ES2, which is similar to the UE10 in overall performance levels, though with a rather different sound signature, and the UE11 should be a nice upgrade from it. Still, the ES2 is a nice budget option if you want a fuller sound that's more suited to rock and jazz. The UE10 should be flatter and more accurate at the frequency extremes, and the UE11 should have the accuracy of the UE10 with the fullness of the ES2.

Jan 19, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use an audio player with Kernel Streaming, then mute ALL other audio sources. This means only the audio player can be heard.

On the PC I use foobar2000. I don't know what the equivalent is on a MAC.

EK

You can also use two different sound cards. In windows my default is my internal mobo soundcard. Everything goes through that except foobar and vlc in which i manually select my external sound card (mobile pre usb) as the output.

Jan 20, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by chef8489 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of sound are you looking for?

I'm looking for flatness/accuracy across the entire frequency spectrum, detail, effortless dynamics, and as much isolation as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back