Is my concern over using IEM's reasonable?
Jan 20, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #16 of 16
UE-10 sounds like a great option for you.

I do have some few tips that I think are important for all IEM/sensitive headphone users to prevent hearing damage:

1. Always turn your source volume to zero when you plug in your earphones.

2. Slowly increase volume to comfortable level, lock the volume if possible (ie. IPOD hold switch) so it doesn't get accidentally bumped.

3. Limit your max volume on your source. For example, if you find that you only ever use up to 50% of the max volume on your IPOD or computer, set your max volume to be 50% to prevent "blow your eardrums" if the controls are accidentally or even purposely bumped.

4. Turn off misc. sounds if using your computer as a source. Aka: no windows loading sounds, beeps, or other warnings. Just turn off ALL windows or in your case, MAC sounds. Although this may seem like an inconvenience, this is crucial to avoiding many EXTREMELY loud sounds from your computer when wearing IEMs. These sounds are often 2-3 times louder than your music and they HURT when you hear one with your IEMs plugged in.

I've used many IEMs for long period of time and if you just be careful by using precautions like the ones above, you shouldn't be worried about hearing loss or damage. I have yet to encounter any hearing problems caused by bad files or bad electronics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back