Is Music Recession Proof?
Jul 2, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #3 of 17
No, I don't believe that music is recession proof. For most sensible people buying music is a discretionary expense. It only makes sense that as wallets tighten, unemployment goes up, and worry about the economy increases that discretionary expendatures will be down. This applies to about 99.5% of people. Of course, for the musically obsessed rest of us who happen to be members of Head-Fi, buying music is anything but discretionary. Food on the table is optional maybe (especially for those who need to shed a few pounds), but buying new music is a top priority.

I can't say that economic worries has caused my own music buying to slow down. On the contrary, if anything it has increased over the last few months. I have even bought new gear in the form of a Slim Devices Transporter. But I do have plans to pull back on my buying. I'm just having trouble remembering whether that plan goes into effect before or after hell freezes over.
biggrin.gif

--Jerome

Jul 2, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 17
Michael Jackson's (may he rest in peace) scheduled concerts were sold out in what, days? Home entertainment like HD channels by cable and satellite tv providers, are on-going. I've been told that when there is an economic slowdown, consumers tend to stay at home longer. So what are home entertainment? Video, games and music.

Jul 2, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 17
No, the music business is going to get creamed. Look at what happened to them during Gilded Age II: they were knocked flat by downloading. This is not going to change during Depression II. Assuming it is Depression II. Whatever it is, this isn't good. What few people were paying for music are goin to pull back and buy used.

Music won't go away, but it's going to survive with inexpensive live shows and bands selling CDs for $5 off their websites.

I do think music will increase in popularity, though. With fewer options thanks to less money, people will want to go see a concert for $10 or $15. You don't have to charge $60 plus another $18 in "handling fees" to put on a show. Shows are cheap to produce (barring huge productions, I mean three guys with guitars and a drummer) and even 1,000 people at $10 each isn't a bad haul. I also think that modestly priced hi-fi gear will maintain popularity. Staying in to listen to music will be an inexpensive pastime compared to many others.

This will probably be a healthy thing for music in the long term. The economy is going to kill Big Music once and for all, and it should also break the death grip of Ticketmaster. Music survived, popularity intact, for hundreds of years without Big Music and Ticketmaster - it will improve once they're dead.

Jul 2, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #7 of 17
anything that can be as easily stolen as music is not at all recession proof

Jul 2, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anything that can be as easily stolen as music is not at all recession proof

I just bought a bunch of music last week, all of it easily stolen music as well.
tongue.gif

Jul 2, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #9 of 17
Well yeah we buy music but I know a lot of people who don't and I'm sure some people will decide it's no longer worth it when they're wallet is empty

Jul 2, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well yeah we buy music but I know a lot of people who don't and I'm sure some people will decide it's no longer worth it when they're wallet is empty

Hmmm...

Well are we talking about the people who regularly buy music on CD or the kind of people who get all their music in compressed formats from the interwebs? (on places like itunes and the such)

Jul 2, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought a bunch of music last week, all of it easily stolen music as well.
tongue.gif

Good for you. The problem is that the honest people won't buy if they don't have the money. If one of my friends or family members hits a rough spot, the money I spend on music would be some of the first I'd give. I've got a lot of music - I could last at least a few years without buying anything more. If even the honest people cut back, then it's over. At least for the way music is run right now. It'll survive, but the business model will be completely different.

Jul 2, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good for you. The problem is that the honest people won't buy if they don't have the money. If one of my friends or family members hits a rough spot, the money I spend on music would be some of the first I'd give. I've got a lot of music - I could last at least a few years without buying anything more. If even the honest people cut back, then it's over. At least for the way music is run right now. It'll survive, but the business model will be completely different.

That would definitely be a good thing.

Jul 2, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #13 of 17
Is vexing the recording companies sinful? Just ask yourself, What would Billy Bragg do?

Speaking for the Featured Artists Coalition:

"Clearly, some form of P2P subscription service is the way forward, if only because it provides the most convenient way for consumers to access music. Yet for the major labels, the success of such an initiative would mean the end of their control over the distribution of music. Is this the real reason why they seem determined to do everything they can to clip the wings of the fledgling digital industry before it can fly?"

Jul 2, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

No, the music business is going to get creamed. Look at what happened to them during Gilded Age II: they were knocked flat by downloading. This is not going to change during Depression II. Assuming it is Depression II. Whatever it is, this isn't good. What few people were paying for music are goin to pull back and buy used.

Gilded Age II? I haven't seen anyone 'knocked flat' by downloading yet and that includes the RIAA. Sure Napster shook the music industry, but that's how change frequently begins. I always buy used whenever possible. Why spend more and/or add to landfills?

Quote:

Music won't go away, but it's going to survive with inexpensive live shows and bands selling CDs for $5 off their websites.

I haven't seen a $5 CD at a show or on a website new in all my life.

Quote:

I do think music will increase in popularity, though. With fewer options thanks to less money, people will want to go see a concert for $10 or $15. You don't have to charge $60 plus another $18 in "handling fees" to put on a show. Shows are cheap to produce (barring huge productions, I mean three guys with guitars and a drummer) and even 1,000 people at $10 each isn't a bad haul. I also think that modestly priced hi-fi gear will maintain popularity. Staying in to listen to music will be an inexpensive pastime compared to many others.

$10 concert? I haven't been to a $10 concert in decades. Cheapest I've found is $25 and even that is rare. Big names bring big price tickets. A close friend and huge Madonna fan spent $500 per ticket for him and his wife and then he had to fly out to DC for the concert because no local shows. I would never personally pay that much to see her, nor many others. If I'm going to shell out serious cash, they'll be putting the show on in my back yard.

Quote:

This will probably be a healthy thing for music in the long term. The economy is going to kill Big Music once and for all, and it should also break the death grip of Ticketmaster. Music survived, popularity intact, for hundreds of years without Big Music and Ticketmaster - it will improve once they're dead.

I can't say much about Ticketmaster because I don't use them. When I go to see a concert or see a show I get tickets direct.

Not sure what you mean by "Big" music but I don't think music is going to be affected. Why? Because the artists control the roots and as long as there are artists, there will be music.

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #15 of 17
Music as a commodity? No. Music as a means to a living? No. Music as a value unto itself? Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back