Is Music a Drug?
Jul 6, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree, a song most definitely can make me happy or sad.

I agree, but it depends on each individuals. If the song remind you of some important event in your life for examples.

Well I mean what is the diagnosis for something to be labeled as a drug. I guess it would have to be an addiction so bad that it interfere with financial and well being and jobs. It should also caused withdrawal symptoms.

As for the original poster, is more leaning toward HiFi sound. For me no, I am in the process of moving and I shipped away my main speakers. I am using a lcd monitor's speaker that distort at volume 3/31 and can still live with it. Then I put on my PX100 and it sound amazing, but infact its hundred times worse than my speakers. When I hear my speakers again I will be blown away. This is a good way to make you reappreaciate sound.

Jul 6, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #18 of 30
I don't think it is a drug, but I do need my daily portion of it though
wink.gif

It can definately make me sad or happy or extremely energetic, and the feeling can also stay when the music has stopped.
I used to start crying when I was younger and my mom putted on some heavy depressing classical music. Don't do that anymore, but that depends also on the moods I guess. (as do drugs....hmmmm....they do have some similarities....
blink.gif
)

Jul 7, 2007 at 8:00 AM Post #19 of 30
Music is the following:
Adrenalin rush.
Mental stimulation.
Endorphin promoter.
Nostalgic feelings.
Foot tapping.
Head bobbing.
Closed eye visuals.
Stimulus to buy more gear!

Jul 7, 2007 at 12:21 PM Post #22 of 30
I suppose you could think of music as a form of aromatherapy but with music. just as certain aromas can change your mood certain music can alter your moods too. So, it could be called musicatherapy.

Jul 7, 2007 at 12:26 PM Post #23 of 30
"MS-1; the Gateway Drug!" is one of the first things I ever remember reading when I first arrived at this evil place.

Music is an "upper" cause it does raise my spirits. Music is a "downer" as it can calm me down during a hectic day. In that respect it is mood altering.

My Wife says I'm addicted since she sees me linked to my music through Alessandro or Senns cables all too often.

....as she sits there in front of that mindless TV for hours on end.
blink.gif

Jul 7, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #24 of 30
I can't deny that music is a stimulus and can induce strong feelings, but until the day when music can be fed dierctly into my bloodstream to travel to my brain to initiate those feelings, it's no more a drug than any other emotional story. Music relies on our senses to interpret it.

Many people are moved to tears by opera. Whereas opera does little for me.

Drugs have an understood and consistent physiological effect. Our response to that effect largely determines whether we enjoy the drug. Music is simply a stimulus, our interpretation of the music generates the effect and the physiological response.

My 2 cents.

Jul 7, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #26 of 30
It offers the same placebo as any other habit. You can use it to distract, reward, alter your mental status. It is a replacement to whatever you are trying to quit.

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First thing I do after a tiring day at work is plop down on the couch and play a good CD/LP. Same as many others do, though they might do it with different hobbies.

So would a alcoholic with a beer? Or a smoker!

I get what you are saying, and I don't think music is a drug, I just see some correlation with different addictions.

that;s just how static stale and stagnated pathetic how many peoples life are

it;s zombie like.

oh yeah, i understand the human weakness part of it, or call it beautiful emotion at that., but it's still pathetic and dumb

Jul 4, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #28 of 30
I wouldn't say that music is a drug. After all, it doesn't work the same for everyone. I'd say it is form of art and just like any art it has the capability to inspire us to feel certain ways.

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #29 of 30
Didnt see anyone bringing up e-dosing. Using synthesized frequency's that are alike and letting your brain synthesizing the missing link; it can create euphoric effects and have a heroin like addiction.

Jul 6, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:
Didnt see anyone bringing up e-dosing. Using synthesized frequency's that are alike and letting your brain synthesizing the missing link; it can create euphoric effects and have a heroin like addiction.

i remember people referencing Daft Punk better than sex or drug. And I just thought that is a big compliment for music. I didn't think that it should be considered negatively in a way. Addiction huh? Stimulation? Drive for something viseral, sublime, a higher meaning? or a simplest of truth?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back