Is Music a Drug?
Jul 6, 2007 at 9:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Kasp3r

500+ Head-Fier
So my questions.... IF music affects how we feel, if they release a chemical in our body's that make us feel good/better then before listening, would you consider it a drug or just how nature intended music to work? It kinda explains upgradetitis. First you buy a 100$ dollar headphone, listen to it, say wow, that was amazing and soon enough you're droppin 600 dollars on a headphone and a grand on a amp and dac.

Or we can just say its a hobby, something we enjoy, something that we look forward to. I am just curious to how music affects our brain and mind.

I mean how many of us can go without listening to your headphones? How long could you not listening to any music before saying this is madness gimme my 650's back! Im sure a fear for something audiophiles would be going deaf or something.

http://www.1729.com/blog/IsMusicADrug.html

The Conclusion for those who don't want to read the page ^_^

"So, is music a drug? The short answer is "yes, sort of". The long answer is that it can be considered similar in the strength and nature of its effects to a mild recreational drug, in that:

* It generates "false" feelings.
* The maximum level of effect is roughly equivalent to 1 or 2 "standard" alcoholic drinks.
* It is not strictly addictive, but may cause psychological dependence.
* Excessive consumption can cause some health problems.
* Delusional side-effects are fairly limited."

Jul 6, 2007 at 10:08 AM Post #2 of 30
I wouldnt say it generates false feelings, it just puts them up for interpertations. When you hear a sad song for an example, it doesnt make you feel sad, it simply makes you think about the situation that the song endures. A song cant make you feel depressed/happy/tired/etc, it simply supports the general feeling that we interpert the song as.

Jul 6, 2007 at 10:13 AM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rise To The Top /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldnt say it generates false feelings, it just puts them up for interpertations. When you hear a sad song for an example, it doesnt make you feel sad, it simply makes you think about the situation that the song endures. A song cant make you feel depressed/happy/tired/etc, it simply supports the general feeling that we interpert the song as.

I disagree, a song most definitely can make me happy or sad. The feeling doesn't stop when the song is finished playing.

No, music isn't a drug in my eyes but a mental addiction nontheless. I believe I would be a very depressed/bored person if I would never listen to music again. First thing I do after a tiring day at work is plop down on the couch and play a good CD/LP. Same as many others do, though they might do it with different hobbies.

Jul 6, 2007 at 10:19 AM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First thing I do after a tiring day at work is plop down on the couch and play a good CD/LP. Same as many others do, though they might do it with different hobbies.

So would a alcoholic with a beer? Or a smoker!

I get what you are saying, and I don't think music is a drug, I just see some correlation with different addictions.

Jul 6, 2007 at 10:23 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasp3r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So would a alcoholic with a beer? Or a smoker!

I get what you are saying, and I don't think music is a drug, I just see some correlation with different addictions.

So do I, but in that case every hobby can be labeled a drug. Some get their kick through music, others through racing cars, others through biking, etc. I think that what distinguishes hobby from addiction/drugs is that the latter are physically addictive (and most of the times therefore also bad for your health), whereas hobbies aren't.

And heeeeey! Don't call me an alcoholic if I enjoy a good beer together with my music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 10:26 AM Post #6 of 30
Or that a drug is a substance that you inhale or drink. (edit:inject!)

And a addiction is something you enjoy, and pursue often!

mmmmm I really want crab meat, i saw the crab post, and i live in Texas...

we just have red meat...

Jul 6, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. Soon it will be illegal to listen.

Well I remember a criminal said he killed a officer because he was listening to angry rap music, and "it" Made him kill the police officer. Crazy yes, did he make it up, prolly.

What if i made you listen to my headphones and turned it up so loud, that it made your ears bleed, and then i was on a ear bleeding rampage. I blame it on the beetles.

Jul 6, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. Soon it will be illegal to listen.

~Then there will be a huge blackmarket, full prisons with more being built; Until the prohibition is lifted with a severe luxury tax added
wink.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #12 of 30
It drives me crazy when I can't listen to music, and it drives me crazy when I can't take drugs. What this means is that drugs is music.

Jul 6, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is for me. Hopeless addict all my life.

Same here!
Can't imaging a day without music...

Jul 6, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #14 of 30
Now where's Aaron when you need him? immtbiker, explain yourself and your sig, please.
biggrin.gif

For me, I don't understand the value of trying to classify music as a drug. I mean, many things can induce the release of chemicals in the body (e.g., exercise). In any case, whatever we decide to call it, music is good.

Jul 6, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #15 of 30
just wanted to add that..
There is no longer any distinction between a physical and "psychological" addiction in addiction medicine.
Addiction is much better understood than it used to be, with some of the key advances being the understanding that all addictions are physical.
I'm of course talking about clinically treated addictions like heroin or alcohol.
Sorry to get all rambly here, just think it's important to make the distinction between addiction as a medical term and issue versus its non-scientific usage when people refer to video-game or music "addicts."
If you think that someone can be "addicted" to music in the same sense that someone can be addicted to heroin, you obviously have never met a heroin addict.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back