Is MS2 able to get enough out of a SACD player?
Mar 20, 2007 at 1:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

malcolmhead

New Head-Fier
Hi all

I'm a newbie, happily enjoying my new Grado Alessandro MS2 cans plugged direct to a normal Sony CDP. Reading Head-Fi, especially on SACD, makes me hungry for better sound quality out of the MS2.

So I'm wondering if getting a SACD player to pair with the MS2 is an overkill, ie. I will not be able to get the most out of the SACD player onto the MS2.

Thanks.

Mar 21, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by malcolmhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all

I'm a newbie, happily enjoying my new Grado Alessandro MS2 cans plugged direct to a normal Sony CDP. Reading Head-Fi, especially on SACD, makes me hungry for better sound quality out of the MS2.

So I'm wondering if getting a SACD player to pair with the MS2 is an overkill, ie. I will not be able to get the most out of the SACD player onto the MS2.

Thanks.

I'm really not sure what you are asking exactly, but I'll take a stab at it. If you are asking whether buying an SACD player will improve the sound from your MS2s, then I would have to say, "probably." As there are sonic differences among CD players, I'm sure there are sonic differences among SACD players. In general, though, my ears have told me that SACD recordings are more musical than their CD counterparts, but this is not always the case.
The MS2s are close cousins to the SR325s that I've had for a number of years, and I can say they are VERY revealing of source material. The better the source, the better the sound. So, theoretically, the SACD/MS2 combo will sound better than the combo that you have now. But if you are plugging your MS2s directly into the SACD player, than the internal amp of that device will play a large part in the sound you hear, just as the internal amp of your present CD player is significant.
As always, only YOUR ears can be the final judge. Hope I've been of some help and didn't add to the confusion. There are so many variables that determine the sound we hear that it can most definitely be confusing. Just trust your ears!
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 12
I think his question was whether or not the MS2 will be good enough phones for all the details that the SACD players can offer.

Hey Joelongwood, prior to joining, I've spent hrs digging thru threads of team grado ppl, been meaning to meet ya for some time now
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockbottom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think his question was whether or not the MS2 will be good enough phones for all the details that the SACD players can offer.

Hey Joelongwood, prior to joining, I've spent hrs digging thru threads of team grado ppl, been meaning to meet ya for some time now
biggrin.gif

Nice to meet you, rockbottom. I've been AWOL for awhile (another obsession has captured my fancy), but I've been trying to get back into headphones.
If you are right about the OP's question, I think the answer is a definite "Yes." Grados (and Alessandros) are all about detailed sound........for some listeners, that fact is painfully true.
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 9:34 AM Post #5 of 12
Hi Rockbottom, yes, you're spot on with my question.

Hi Joelongwood & Rockbottom, in that case, is there any budget SACD around. I read about Oppo but I do not need a all-in-one source. A dedicated CD/SACD source at a budget is what I'm looking for, to pair with MS2. Though there are many good/high-end SACD players, that also means we need good amp and speakers/cans to reap the most benefits. And I'm not ready to get so deep in due to budget constraints.

So any good recommendations? Anyone?

Thanks.

Mar 22, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 12
Sorry I can't advise you on current SACD players, as mine is an older Sony ES model. You might want to start a new thread asking for recommendations on SACD players, and also use the search function to find info.
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

So any good recommendations?

Do a search on the Sony SCD-CE595 here. It's the only CD/SACD player (or changer) around under $200.00 new (it's actually just $120.00 new).

Mar 23, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do a search on the Sony SCD-CE595 here. It's the only CD/SACD player (or changer) around under $200.00 new (it's actually just $120.00 new).

That was my first thought as well, but it seems to me the OP needs a player with a headphone out(which the CE595 does not have). Also, to the OP, browse the available SACD's to see if it would be worth it for you to get an SACD player(if you haven't already of course).

Mar 24, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #9 of 12
Yes, preferably if the SACD comes with a headphone out, then I don't need an amp. And yes, I've also search through the SACD at www.sa-cd.net and found titles that interest me. I've heard SACD once and was immediately overwhelmed by the detail and clarity.

So now I'm trying to look for a SACD player that can realize the capability of the MS2 at the same time enjoy the sound quality.

Or is there none that comes with headphone output?

Thanks all.

Mar 25, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Hi all

Thanks.

No where close.

The quality of an SACD is about 250 times greater than that of a normal CD in terms of digital data. If SACD was the standard when CD's we're released, we would have digital sound recordings limited only by what we can physically build to reproduce the sound.

The potential for SACD is limitless. You can buy the best speaker or headphone system money can buy and SACD is way more than enough to source it with today's technology.

Mar 25, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Yes, preferably if the SACD comes with a headphone out, then I don't need an amp. And yes, I've also search through the SACD at www.sa-cd.net and found titles that interest me. I've heard SACD once and was immediately overwhelmed by the detail and clarity.

So now I'm trying to look for a SACD player that can realize the capability of the MS2 at the same time enjoy the sound quality.

Or is there none that comes with headphone output?

Thanks all.

I don't think any good ones come with a headphone out.

You pretty much have to buy a headphone/preamp.

Also, no DAC would work with an SACD player either. So you're better off getting a good one.

One SWEET one you can get is the Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista.
Not only is it a sweet SACD player, it also has two digital inputs so you can connect up your sound-card to it and use the Tri-Vista's DAC with your computer music.

Mar 25, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #12 of 12
The Marantz SA8001 comes with a built-in headphone amp with adjustable volume. I use it now and then and it's pretty good. It'll drive everything but the K-1000. I'm very happy with the player, as well.

As to the OP, a pair of Alessandros should extract plenty from SACD. You have to remember that headphones (well, the good ones) are much more sensitive than the average speaker, even audiophile ones. You are going to hear the extra detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back