Is Move DAC/AMP combo better than Imod w/ $300 amp?
Aug 8, 2007 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

flargosa

500+ Head-Fier
Wouldn't the Move, connected to a PC, have better SQ than an Imod + external amp since the Move's sound travels a shorter distance from its built in DAC chip to its built in amplification circuitry? Compared to the Imod which travels through a longer wire to get to the external amp.

Aug 8, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by flargosa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't the Move have better SQ than an Imod + external amp since the sound travels a shorter distance from the DAC chip to the amplification circuitry?

By that reasoning, an unmodified iPod would have better SQ than an iMod.
wink.gif

Aug 8, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 29
The stock Ipod has low quality amp circuitry but the Move has better quality amp compared to the Ipod

Aug 8, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by flargosa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The stock Ipod has low quality amp circuitry but the Move has better quality amp compared to the Ipod

Yes, he was poking fun at the logic you used to say that a Move is better than a imod/amp setup.

Thats one small advantage, like a ripple in the ocean.

Aug 9, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #6 of 29
I think it would be a very tough call as you didn't specify the amp. some amps are good, some are ok and some are really great. The amp in the move I think is very good.

Aug 9, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #8 of 29
meant using a Move via USB using its built in DAC and amp vs a Imod - > ALO cable -> Tomahawk/Hornet. That's what I meant.

Just wondering if getting a Move (using built-in DAC + amp )is as good as getting an Imod + Tomahawk. Comparing just its SQ.

Aug 9, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #10 of 29
I believe he's asking if you were using the USB input on the Move from your computer, would SQ be better than the same file playing on an Imod + amp (let's just say the Move for simplicity's sake).

My guess is that the imod + amp will sound better, but I can't say without hearing.

Aug 9, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #11 of 29
Basically:

MOVE using its built-in AMP/DAC combo
vs.
Imod + tomahawk/hornet.

Just wanted to know if I can get the same SQ for less $$$.

Aug 9, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #13 of 29
I haven't heard neither so I can't say for sure. But please keep in mind there is only so much on component quality that Dr. Meier can pack into the Move for the price (which still includes worldwide shipping & any Paypal fees) so you shouldn't expect sky-high performance. OTOH, you are comparing two setups for different purposes. The iMod+external amp combo is a portable rig, but a Move strapped to a PC is (strictly speaking) not portable.

Cheers!

Aug 9, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #14 of 29
iMod modifications do not change the DAC in the iPod, they merely clean up the signal path from the DAC to the Line Out. Knowing that, there is only so much that you can do to clean up a signal with larger caps and/or bypassing components. The Wolfson WM8758 is the DAC used in the 5/5.5G iPod, Wolfson does not list specifications for this chip, but there is a chip with a similar product number here. The WM8759 has a SNR of 100. The WM8759 may have the same or similar specs as the iPod's WM8758. But I can't confirm this. The Move uses a TI PCM2704 DAC, found here. It lists a SNR of 98.

So, depending on how related the WM8759 and the WM8758 (thats in the iPod) are related, the iPod should have better SQ than the Move via USB depending on how well/bad the DAC in each devices is implemented (and how good a job the iMod does with cleaning up the signal). Seeing as I cannot find technical specs on the WM8758, this should all be taken with a large grain of salt. The only true test of which is superior is actually listening to the two and deciding for yourself which sounds superior.

But if I were to take a wild guess, I'd say iPod ~ Move and iMod > Move.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 9, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #15 of 29
It has been pretty hard for me to get a completely silent usb signal - my Livewires pick up some pops and crackles and other strange interference noises. Imod > move is dead quiet, and also a bit higher gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back