Is Linux "Bit Perfect", and how do you play audio there
Jan 11, 2009 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

HeadLover

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi
I wonder, is Linux is totally BIT PERFECT ?
Both with USB (like DAC1) or with soundcards (ASUS, Creative and so on)
And what is the best player there? or what players offer the most high quality sound and support for format we use for high quality like FLAC, WV (WAVE PACK), and so on?

Jan 11, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #2 of 54
i think the problem would be drivers...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 54
I've been wondering about the same thing, since I'm thinking of buying proper soundcard or usb DAC for my linux box now that I can actually play all those songs from itunes. Still wouldn't want to spend money if it's not gonna make difference.

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #9 of 54
M-Audio 2496 Audiophile soundcard works for bit perfect & is what I use. I've seen other cards mentioned but have no experience w/them.

Amarok is a popular player but I use MythMusic so I can use it w/an IR remote via LIRC.

Jan 12, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #10 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi
I wonder, is Linux is totally BIT PERFECT ?
Both with USB (like DAC1) or with soundcards (ASUS, Creative and so on)
And what is the best player there? or what players offer the most high quality sound and support for format we use for high quality like FLAC, WV (WAVE PACK), and so on?

Linux can be "bit perfect". Using ALSA, no mixers, and a USB to S/PDIF device or dedicated USB DAC, one can easily have "bit perfect" sound. No ASIO or other tweaks are required.

DACs such as the Wavelength Audio or Benchmark's units require no special drivers other than the standard USB audio driver included in the standard kernel.

The best player? I would say MPD, because of its client server architecture. The MPD daemon, i.e., the music server runs on dedicated hardware while the client runs on another machine. The client machine is responsible for the graphic user interface, while the server can run on a silent low powered machine.

I have confirmed -with my setup- that Linux is bit perfect using MPD, ALSA, a trends UD-10 USB to S/PDIF converter, and feeding am Adcom GDA-700 DAC. With no mixers installed the HDCD indicator would light up when playing known HDCD discs; the sample rate light for 44Khz audio would also be illuminated. Installing alsa-mixer, everything was re-smapled to 48Khz; the HDCD light would no longer light up and the 48Khz sample rate LED would be on as well. Not very scientific, but...

Cheers

Jan 12, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #12 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wht using ALSA and not the other OSS or what ever thing for it?
Also, how can you be sure no mixer is running ?

OSS2 is crap.
OSS4 is nice, but lacks a lot of support. With luck, it will be made much better over time, because ALSA is evil (IMO, PluseAudio is all that makes it acceptable, and now I'm having WINE problems with that--ugh!). If ALSA sees your device, and will play back at the sampling rate of the source, then all should be fine.

That said, of course there is a mixer running. Is there something wrong with mixers?

IMO, the best player is Aqualung, but there are many choices.

Jan 13, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #14 of 54
Most apps play 24 bit files. MPD is not one of them, sadly. Amarok and co will do it.

And yes, a mixer (dmix for instance) will wreck the state of bit perfectness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back