Is Led Zeppelin a Heavy Metal band?
Feb 17, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #61 of 85
The truth is only the truth until something truer is presented ?
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #62 of 85
Not heavy metal now, but i can certainly see where that came from. In his time, there was nothin heavier.

Feb 17, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #63 of 85
Jubei said:

Quote:

I file Led Zep under classic rock and Black Sabbath under metal (I don't sub-genre categorize my metal) for what its worth

Interesting - I do the same. I often select a genre, hit shuffle or random play, and let 'er rip. My genres are pretty broad, so I get a variety when I do this. This way Zep gets played along with Beatles, Stones, CCR, Cream etc. Sabbath gets played along with Pantera, Crowbar, Slayer, Metallica, and hardcore/punk bands like Bad Brains, Black Flag, Minor Threat etc. When I play the broad genre I call "metal/hardcore", I get exactly what I want - hard, heavy, angry - music for banging my head and pumping my fist.

So I would have to vote "no" on the ? of whether Zep is metal.

Feb 17, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #64 of 85
Exactly. The genre tag, in so far as it works for me, is used to help me group music that I would listen together. For a while, I did file Black Sabbath under "Classic Rock", but then I noticed that when I compile playlists, I found that I would never play it alongside artists like Bob Seger, Rush, Neil Young or other Classic Rock artists. That's when I changed Black Sabbath to metal - since I would play it alongside bands like Dio.

There is obviously not right or wrong about whether Led Zep is "Metal" or not, I suppose. For someone who is not a metalhead, Led Zep would probably sound metal. For somehow like Enverxis, who has such a considerable library of metal music, Led Zep obviously wouldn't sound metal at all.

I don't see Led Zep as metal. But since I don't have as much metal music as Enverxis, it is not worthwhile for me to sub-categorize metal into various sub-genres either. I don't really see the point in having a genre with only one artist under it - but maybe in time when I have loads of albums within a metal sub-genre I might re-tag those albums.

And I don't really know what Heavy Metal refers to these days anymore. It used to be Iron Maiden, is it still that?
confused.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #66 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to know how to classify them on your Harddrive use these:

English Rock (Who, Clapton, Wishbone Ash, Zeppelin, etc)
American Rock (Skynyrd, ABB, Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplain, Poco etc)
Metal (Deep purple, Sabbath, ACDC, Judas Priest, Metallica, etc)
Real Blues (SRV, Winter, BBK, Guy, etc)
Hendrix (gets his own catagory)

Well, neither Deep Purple nor AC/DC are Heavy Metal bands.
icon10.gif

Actually I've read about Joh Lord's (Deep Purple - organs) comment:
'We we were never a heavy metal band' (or something like that).
(I think it was Jon Lord.)

The discussion whether Led Zeppelin is a Heavy Metal band rages on!

Feb 18, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #67 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The truth is only the truth until something truer is presented ?
evil_smiley.gif

What is truth then? How would one define truth, can it be the case that opinions are taken to be facts and truth?

Just making you think.
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2007 at 9:38 AM Post #69 of 85
where would those who see led zeppelin as "quintessential heavy metal" cross the line? are deep purple and iron butterfly metal as well? is there a difference between hard rock and heavy metal for you or do those terms/genres overlap?

but i also pose my questions for the naysayers again: if led zep is not metal, what about black sabbath's debut? and if deep purple are not metal (i don't think they are), how about iron maiden's first two albums?

i don't think there are definitive answers to those questions, because the genre definitions aren't definite. take another example, just as heavy, just as hard: are the stooges 'punk'?

Feb 19, 2007 at 10:47 AM Post #70 of 85
My impressions are that :

- Deep Purple and Iron Butterfly are not metal
- Black Sabbath's debut is not quite metal yet
- Iron Maiden's first 2 albums are definitely metal
- Iggy Pop and the Stooges, for me, are a genre unto themselves
evil_smiley.gif

Hard Rock riffs and solos sound more blues based to me and have a swing that metal does not offer. I have seldom felt that metal musicians model themselves after the blues. Few hard rock bands go for 10+ minute epics that metal bands love to indulge in. Hard rocky lyrics are mainly about booze, drugs, women, and having a good time. I don't really know how to make a generalized statement about metal lyrics - they are often un-decipherable. I suppose that's how I separate the two genres.

Feb 19, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #72 of 85
If you read it closely you can see: They established the dominant format for heavy metal…

Agree

Something been missing up here. Some of passages from LZ are just killing, so good they are. So good, that some of the metal bands can only dream of. Same goes to DeepPurple, BlackSabbath and not to forget Rainbow. When Ronnie James Dio came in to the picture, meaning Rainbow and BlackSabbath, they do had really metal sounding songs. What I actually mean is not Metallica sound, no, nothing to do with it. The power, energy and speed the same time of some songs are not only metal, but far beyond. I think this is what they mean by METAL regarding LZ and not their style generally...

And for me, don't care that much, cos they still the best anyway, IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't blame me .... just asking ...
Upon a time, but actually it was yesterday,
I came across the following description of Led Zeppelin's music
(taken from the Acoustic Sounds catalog and also from the All Music Guide):

"Led Zeppelin was and is the definite Heavy Metal band.
.... they established the dominant format for heavy metal
as well as the genre's actual sound."

The debate whether Led Zeppelin is a Heavy Metal or just a Hard Rock band rages on!

See you on the definite Heavy Metal band's
blink.gif
Side of the Moon

P.S.
No Poll included, sorry!

Feb 20, 2007 at 10:51 AM Post #73 of 85
I'm not exactly a metalhead, but I think that to avoid calling Led Zep a heavy metal band based on how metal has progressed would be something akin to saying that Elvis is not rock & roll because he doesn't have enough in common with Green Day...

Feb 20, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #74 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see anything wrong with Folk or Viking Metal either, Viking Metal is just Extreme Metal with Viking themes, imagery, atmospheres and Folk Metal is simply the blend of Metal and Folk music, which has become popular enough and remains within the metal boundaries to become a valid metal sub-genre.

Hey! I don't see anything wrong with Viking Metal neither
smily_headphones1.gif
. The link I provided was only an example of taking the obsession for tags to the extreme.

Feb 20, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #75 of 85
When you put it that way, yes they are definitely extreme, but also necessary IMO.

Hail Viking Metal
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back