Is Led Zeppelin a Heavy Metal band?
Feb 16, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #46 of 85
Someone's done a bloody good job at fixing up the heavy metal section on wikipedia with some musical theory information, kudos to them.

Feb 16, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #47 of 85
definitely have to make apples to apples comparison. at the time that LZ was releasing albums, their music was considered among the loudest, most intense music the world had ever seen. at that time, there is no doubt that LZ was heavy metal.

now the world has changed -- LZ was a major influence to many of the now called heavy metal bands (read 80s and later). if you compare todays heavy metal to then, yeah, it doesn't seem like heavy metal.

in the spirit of the times, i vote YES -- definitely heavy metal.

Feb 16, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #48 of 85
I've added some very brief comments by Geezer Butler (bass) of Black Sabbath in Post #9:
Ladies and Gentlemen Please Welcome the Fabulous Black Sabbath

Geezer Butler: "Led Zepelin sort of paved the way for us. ...they very much started the genre."

See you on the Led Zeppelin's and Black Sabbath's
blink.gif
Side of the Moon

Feb 16, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #49 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcn3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
definitely have to make apples to apples comparison. at the time that LZ was releasing albums, their music was considered among the loudest, most intense music the world had ever seen. at that time, there is no doubt that LZ was heavy metal.

If you do apples to apples comparison, then the Beatles would be metal too - early Beatles were the loudest and most intense for the time
biggrin.gif
. And they had the long hair too, by the day's standard. My Dad said they were controversial too for the loud guitars and screaming vocals! Their music was considered an unprecedented sonic assault in their time!
blink.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #50 of 85
Zeppelin crossed a lot of genre's : English Hardrock (Led II), Blues (one on every album), Folk (Led III & IV), Prog (HOTH), Jazz (No Quarter), Pop Abba Style (ITTOD) and yes Heavy metal (Presence).

Listen to the layered hard crunching guitar work of Presence to understand why they could be considered metal. But when it comes down to it they were a creative rootsy English Rock Band with arguably the greatest drummer of all time.

If you want to know how to classify them on your Harddrive use these:

English Rock (Who, Clapton, Wishbone Ash, Zeppelin, etc)
American Rock (Skynyrd, ABB, Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplain, Poco etc)
Metal (Deep purple, Sabbath, ACDC, Judas Priest, Metallica, etc)
Real Blues (SRV, Winter, BBK, Guy, etc)
Hendrix (gets his own catagory)

Feb 17, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #51 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't blame me .... just asking ...
Upon a time, but actually it was yesterday,
I came across the following description of Led Zeppelin's music
(taken from the Acoustic Sounds catalog and also from the All Music Guide):

"Led Zeppelin was and is the definite Heavy Metal band.
.... they established the dominant format for heavy metal
as well as the genre's actual sound."

The debate whether Led Zeppelin is a Heavy Metal or just a Hard Rock band rages on!

See you on the definite Heavy Metal band's
blink.gif
Side of the Moon

P.S.
No Poll included, sorry!

No way.. Heavy metal is Judas Priest & Accept
k1000smile.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #52 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Metal (ACDC etc)

lol?

Couldn't be more wrong there either.

Feb 17, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #54 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol?

Couldn't be more wrong there either.

I was just going to quote that... I literally lol'd when my eyes rolled over "ACDC".

Feb 17, 2007 at 11:57 AM Post #56 of 85
A lot of young people now say that they are not. The term "metal" has changed a lot since its creation in the 70s. We can call them safely "hard rock", but back in the eighties all heavy metal lovers thought of Led Zeppelin as a heavy metal band, one of the first and greater ones.
At the present everybody likes putting precise tags to everything, which is absurd. We have literally hundreds of tags for describing music. Take a look at this page of the Encyclopaedia Metallum. What a nonsense...

Feb 17, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #57 of 85
While that may be so, now we have the understanding and enlightenment to see that that was not the case; That and, back then those people were just probably using the term heavy metal for loud/fast music instead of it's actual "true" meaning etc etc]

I don't see anything wrong with Folk or Viking Metal either, Viking Metal is just Extreme Metal with Viking themes, imagery, atmospheres and Folk Metal is simply the blend of Metal and Folk music, which has become popular enough and remains within the metal boundaries to become a valid metal sub-genre.

there are also sub-genres of sub-genres, hahah.

Feb 17, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #59 of 85
And technically that's correct, yes ?

It probably is an alien concept for some people to hear that Led Zeppelin are not a heavy metal band when once upon a time there would have rarely been a dispute but as people have mentioned, the definition of heavy metal has become more complicated (refined?). In 1970 there really wasn't much else to compare against, Led Zep and Black Sabbath probably were the closest thing to one another.

Well actually these days, Heavy Metal is a sub-genre of Metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back