Is LDAC (Real World) overrated?
May 31, 2022 at 6:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

neil74

100+ Head-Fier
Almost every device I have used with LDAC chooses Best Effort and many either will not allow or stutter if you choose the 660 or 990 option. This makes me think that Best Effort probably errs to the 330 level? Certainly my S22 will not play at all if I choose the 660 or 990 setting.

This makes me wonder if in real world scenarios APTX-HD is the better codec or even if AAC is just as good?

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 10
Agree, I always have issues with LDAC dropping and skipping or having a noticeable delay with the video, even on best effort with devices in the same room. I prefer APTX-HD, APT-X, or AAC over it.

May 31, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #3 of 10
The market is a mess in terms of different phones and headphones supporting different sources. Samsung do not support APTX-HD anymore, Sony removed any APTX from their latest headphones too.

The irony is it is highly possible that AAC on an iPhone is better than LDAC. LDAC's advantages are mostly on paper I think.

Aug 6, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 10
I've been lucky with LDAC I guess, mine stays locked to 990 kbps, but saying that, I'm not sure I can hear a difference between that and 256 kbps AAC most of the time. Most codecs (except perhaps SBC) are pretty much transparent these days.

Aug 11, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #7 of 10
Never had any issues with LDAC 990k with either LG V30 or Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra.
The dongles were ES100 MK2 and FiiO BTR7, always stable, no drop outs solid 990k at all the times.
Same for Sony WH-1000XM4.

Make sure to select Best Audio Quality for paired BT device in BT settings, that will make it use 990kb for this device.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #8 of 10
Never had any issues with LDAC 990k with either LG V30 or Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra.
The dongles were ES100 MK2 and FiiO BTR7, always stable, no drop outs solid 990k at all the times.
Same for Sony WH-1000XM4.

Make sure to select Best Audio Quality for paired BT device in BT settings, that will make it use 990kb for this device.
Interesting, when I had the S22 ultra it would play 990 but I did have the occasional skips not as bad as the smaller which was basically unplayable. I did have to dive into developer settings every time I connected the headphones though as the setting never stuck and it reverted back to best effort.

Regarding your second point I do not think that is true on most (but not all) phones the high quality setting in the app or standard bluetooth settings just picks LDAC but it will likely be on best effort.

Aug 24, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 10
Interesting, when I had the S22 ultra it would play 990 but I did have the occasional skips not as bad as the smaller which was basically unplayable. I did have to dive into developer settings every time I connected the headphones though as the setting never stuck and it reverted back to best effort.

Regarding your second point I do not think that is true on most (but not all) phones the high quality setting in the app or standard bluetooth settings just picks LDAC but it will likely be on best effort.
Just checked and seems like default for mine in Developers setting is Adaptive as well, but both devices BTR7 and ES100 show 24/96 bitrate.
Doesn't it mean that it actually streams at full 990kbps, you can't get this bitrate a lower rate.
What BT dongle do you use, can you hear the difference between Adaptive LDAC and forced 990kbps. Curious myself, as all I was doing is just making sure High Quality audio or LDAC is selected as encoder in phone BT settings for the device and on device itself.
Sounds pretty close to USB output via UAPP, including high res flac files.

From https://www.sony.net/Products/LDAC/
1661380531638.png

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #10 of 10
As crazy as it sounds, but after some back and forth testing, forced 990k sounds quite better than Best Effort adaptive.
Stronger dynamics, bigger soundstage and more details.
This is on BTR7 with ThieAudio Monarch MKII out of Samsung S22 Ultra.
And it does reset back to Best Effort when you disconnect dongle.

But 990k connection is very stable, no skips or distortion here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back