Is Koss Porta pro endgame? What are similar headphones or above?
May 22, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #106 of 134
I bought a pair of KTXPRO1 more than a year ago because they use the same drivers as the KSC75. I thought they were awful. Uncomfortable, and completely goofy looking. I will admit they sounded similar to the PortaPros, but that wasn't what I was going for. I guess this shows how wildly our preferences vary.

My KSC75s died about a month ago and I loved them with the Parts Express headband. Now my main work headphones are KSC35s with the PE headband. I have an old pair of ATH-M50s, but they just sit in a drawer at work. I'd rather listen to the Koss'.

How long did you try the KTX? Did you try it with all genres of music? What are your thoughts on the sound? (Aside from being similar to the Porta Pro, which I have never heard.) I've been using it for months with all types of music, and sometimes (but not most of the time) I like it even more than STAX electrostats! (Which are my favorite overall. I know you like electrostats too.) Its main flaw, in my opinion, is that it has somewhat boosted bass and lower mids, which can at times make things sound a little muddy or muffled, but thankfully, with most music, it just gives it more impact. It's also borderline bright, but not bright enough to be a major problem. EQ (guides in my signature) makes it more accurate, as with any headphone. I've fallen in love with its snappy, engaging sound. I never would have imagined such a cheap headphone could sound better than most headphones I've heard that cost ten to twenty times more. I have also experienced different sound from it by pairing it with various electronics. Right now I'm using it with a Creative Sound Blaster E1 amp/DAC. One of the biggest improvements is when I switched to HQPlayer. Everything sounds much more realistic now. (It applies DSP, but in a way that is arguably higher fidelity.) Like I mentioned before, I also compared it to a KSC75, but the KSC was used, so it's possible that it may not sound as good as a new one. I found it so strange that the KTX and KSC have the same drivers, yet sound so different. I thought the bass and mids of the KSC were hardly better than Apple earbuds, and pushing them closer to my ears did nothing to improve the sound. (The treble and soundstage are quite nice, at least.) The KTX is much higher fidelity, in my experience. The KSC only sounded better one to five percent of the time. I also tried the UR40, which attempts to be more of a reference headphone, but falls short.

I am curious about the KSC35. Can you tell me how it differs in sound from the KSC75 and KTXPRO1?

I'm really confused how the treble of the KSC75 could ever sound veiled, because it's more than a little bright, albeit in a sparkly, fun way.

No. I do not have KSC75 but have PortaPro. :)

May 22, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #107 of 134
btw, few months have passed and i still have not found anything more impressive than portapro. Especially now that summer has began and closed headphones are out of the question

For my reference, which price range are you going for now?

Even if it's still under $100, the STAX SR-30 is way, way better than any Koss I've heard, if you can get your hands on one via the used market. Not portable at all, though; it needs either an electret converter powered by a speaker amp, or an electrostatic headphone amp. Unfortunately, it's not comfortable, and the bass can distort at high volume. (I often found myself reducing the bass and/or volume to remove the distortion.)

The Philips SHP9500 is also stellar, and improves with this modification. Very comfortable too.

I'd be interested in anyone's impressions of the Porta Pro vs KTXPRO1! (I've only come across a few. Most prefer the latter.)

(And of course, you may want to try the KTXPRO1 yourself to see if you like it more.)

No. I do not have KSC75 but have PortaPro.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ooooh. I feel silly now.
redface.gif

Once, I met a girl at a bus stop wearing a Porta Pro and struck up a conversation.
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #108 of 134
I bought a pair of KTXPRO1 more than a year ago because they use the same drivers as the KSC75. I thought they were awful. Uncomfortable, and completely goofy looking. I will admit they sounded similar to the PortaPros, but that wasn't what I was going for. I guess this shows how wildly our preferences vary.

My KSC75s died about a month ago and I loved them with the Parts Express headband. Now my main work headphones are KSC35s with the PE headband. I have an old pair of ATH-M50s, but they just sit in a drawer at work. I'd rather listen to the Koss'.

How long did you try the KTX? Did you try it with all genres of music? What are your thoughts on the sound? (Aside from being similar to the Porta Pro, which I have never heard.) I've been using it for months with all types of music, and sometimes (but not most of the time) I like it even more than STAX electrostats! (Which are my favorite overall. I know you like electrostats too.) Its main flaw, in my opinion, is that it has somewhat boosted bass and lower mids, which can at times make things sound a little muddy or muffled, but thankfully, with most music, it just gives it more impact. It's also borderline bright, but not bright enough to be a major problem. EQ (guides in my signature) makes it more accurate, as with any headphone. I've fallen in love with its snappy, engaging sound. I never would have imagined such a cheap headphone could sound better than most headphones I've heard that cost ten to twenty times more. I have also experienced different sound from it by pairing it with various electronics. Right now I'm using it with a Creative Sound Blaster E1 amp/DAC. One of the biggest improvements is when I switched to HQPlayer. Everything sounds much more realistic now. (It applies DSP, but in a way that is arguably higher fidelity.) Like I mentioned before, I also compared it to a KSC75, but the KSC was used, so it's possible that it may not sound as good as a new one. I found it so strange that the KTX and KSC have the same drivers, yet sound so different. I thought the bass and mids of the KSC were hardly better than Apple earbuds, and pushing them closer to my ears did nothing to improve the sound. (The treble and soundstage are quite nice, at least.) The KTX is much higher fidelity, in my experience. The KSC only sounded better one to five percent of the time. I also tried the UR40, which attempts to be more of a reference headphone, but falls short.

I am curious about the KSC35. Can you tell me how it differs in sound from the KSC75 and KTXPRO1?

I'm really confused how the treble of the KSC75 could ever sound veiled, because it's more than a little bright, albeit in a sparkly, fun way.

Maybe I should get another KSC75 (new this time) and modify it to see how good it can get.

I bought the KTXs about a year and a half ago. I ran them for a couple weeks and said eff it, salvaged the drivers and tossed that sheeety headband. I thought they sounded similar to Portapros, only muddier. I listen to almost all genres of music except for rap and country. I have standards.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The ksc-35 uses the same driver as the portapro so technically its better that the KTX/ksc75, However, the improvement in sound is pretty small and for roughly double the price of the ksc-75, i'm not convinced it's worth the extra money.

May 23, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #110 of 134

The ksc-35 uses the same driver as the portapro so technically its better that the KTX/ksc75,

It's odd that you say that, because most people say that the titanium-coated drivers of the KTX/KSC75 are superior. I might try the Porta Pro, then.

Or try the KSC-75 with the PE headband and save a lot. I made this thread a few weeks ago but it got buried in the noise of the day with no responses so far. Full on instructions included:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/806415/koss-ksc-75-with-headband-an-impressive-60-sounding-headphone-that-s-20

May 23, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #111 of 134
i yesterday bought a ksc75 from kmart. attached it to portapro band sounds good but very artificial. too sharp in upper frequencies.
but how do you compare the koss ur55 to portapro? sound wise.
some people say it is a more cleaner than the portapro.

May 24, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #112 of 134
May 30, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #113 of 134
Just got Jays V-Jays headphone and this is much better than Koss PortaPro. V-Jays has definitely better clarity and still maintain plenty of bass. Cable quality is also much better. Only negative is that it's headband is plastic instead of stainless steel so look a bit cheap. If anyone not satisfied with PortaPro, highly recommend to try V-Jays. 

May 30, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #114 of 134
  Just got Jays V-Jays headphone and this is much better than Koss PortaPro. V-Jays has definitely better clarity and still maintain plenty of bass. Cable quality is also much better. Only negative is that it's headband is plastic instead of stainless steel so look a bit cheap. If anyone not satisfied with PortaPro, highly recommend to try V-Jays. 

Looks cool, though at that higher price I'd just be more inclined towards another Philips SHP9500. (I see you have one as well. heh)

May 30, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #115 of 134

Looks cool, though at that higher price I'd just be more inclined towards another Philips SHP9500. (I see you have one as well. heh)

Yes, I have SHP9500 and I will also choose SHP9500 if I go for full sized. If I go for on-ear portable headphone, I will choose V-Jays. It is just so portable and easy to carry and wear around. And sounds fits me just right. I got brand new V-Jays at US$30 from local shop so price was great too. :)

May 30, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #116 of 134
  Yes, I have SHP9500 and I will also choose SHP9500 if I go for full sized. If I go for on-ear portable headphone, I will choose V-Jays. It is just so portable and easy to carry and wear around. And sounds fits me just right. I got brand new V-Jays at US$30 from local shop so price was great too. :)

Oh wow. The lowest price I see online for it is $50, and it goes up to $79 from some sellers.

Side note: I don't care about portability, since I only listen to music at home.

Jun 3, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #119 of 134
I found that it has plenty of low and bass. The difference between Koss porta pro and V Jay is that Vjay has bass that is more controlled and highs are more clear.
smily_headphones1.gif

Porta pro might indeed lack clarity in some aspects. I've noticed that when switching from brainwavz hm5(clarity beast). But " big" bass and comfort won me over instantly.

If vjays can up the clarity that might be worth a try. They are not expensive at all and looks to be in the same ballpark as porta pro comfort wise.

Can You please say more what do you mean about "controller bass"?

Jun 3, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #120 of 134
I found that it has plenty of low and bass. The difference between Koss porta pro and V Jay is that Vjay has bass that is more controlled and highs are more clear. :)

Porta pro might indeed lack clarity in some aspects. I've noticed that when switching from brainwavz hm5(clarity beast). But " big" bass and comfort won me over instantly.

If vjays can up the clarity that might be worth a try. They are not expensive at all and looks to be in the same ballpark as porta pro comfort wise.

Can You please say more what do you mean about "controller bass"?

Certainly. I personally found bass is boomy and a bit muddy on Porta Pro comparing with Vjays. Vjay has similar bass quantity but it is tighter and does not sacrifice mid and high by much hence higher clarity overall.

Downside of Vjay is that headband feels cheap and less durable comparing with Koss porta pro because Koss Porta Pro has stainless steel headband that feels more durable in a long run.
Vjays Cable is springy but feels more durable though.

Hope it helps. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back