Is it worth to spend 1 month salary to buy high end headphones?
May 1, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #33 of 53
A month's salary?  Are we talking gross or net?  Or, what about those 3 paycheck months?  
tongue.gif

There's a lot of variables into what a "month's salary" really means.  
wink.gif

May 1, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #34 of 53
If you go all out at once you will miss the fun of the hunt, the thrills in doing excessive research and finally pulling the trigger on something that is a perfect example of bang for buck, and often if used an overlooked pair that has sound qualities beyond what you paid.  Team "cheep basterds" can be fun. The odd time frustrating but mainly fun.

You don't need to spend all that $ to find something like the 598 that meets your requirements cheaper. Deal with the amp later if at all.

May 2, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #35 of 53
If $200 = a month salary, then no, I do not think I'd spend that on headphones.  Period.

I'd personally think that there are other ways to spend that money.  I think a lot of people who answered may have answered "is it worth it to spend $200 on headphones", without putting it into context.

However, each of us have to figure out where that pain threshold is, so while I may not be willing to spend a months salary on headphones, that doesn't mean that you should not :)

Best of luck!

May 2, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #36 of 53
A month's salary?
Sure, but not all at once.

May 2, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #37 of 53
The diamond industry says an engagement ring should be two months salary.
Is that crazy or what?

May 2, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #38 of 53
You shouldnt base your ability to purchase something on a months salary, but if you can afford it or not, just dont get into debt and you will be fine.

May 2, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #39 of 53
Get something cheaper from koss , or superlux, end of problem.
I  don't think my hd595 were  worth the 150 euros I  spent on them,
and I'm pretty sure the hd598 is overpriced.. Recently the price of all sennheiser headphone have increased.
Wait a year or two, and I'm pretty sure that all the raving regarding the hd598 will decline. (Just like for the hd595).
There are already people regretting the hd598, even if they are relatively rare.
I  was quite impressed , by how much sound quality I  could get from a cheap 15$ ksc75. When I  heard them out of a xonar stx, I  was sometimes wondering,
why spend 100$ in a headphone ?
But a good source helps even with the ksc75.

May 2, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #40 of 53
Quote:

"Most portable players (iPod has been proven mathematically) can only drive up to 32ohms impedance. The HD598's are 50ohms."

Therefore, they need an amp. I'm not sure where you're getting this from. Impedance really has -nothing- to do with the difficulty of driving a pair of headphones. Thinking from an electrical position, the LOW impedance headphones are more difficult to drive because they require more current. The difference is just that higher impedance headphones are, for the most part, less power EFFICIENT, but not more difficult to drive -- this is why IEMs tend to have lower impedances and also many other portable headphones. Portable players with batteries are generally more limited on their voltage output, generally to a point like 0.6V. Whether or not that is sufficient to drive the headphones has NOTHING to do with impedance. The whole impedance == difficulty to drive thing is false. You cannot use this simple "It has an impedance of X? That means they need an amp." logic.

Headphones like the AKG K701 are relatively low impedance but notoriously hard to drive. That said, would the HD598 improve from an amp?
Most likely -- the iPod can only output around 0.6V and the HD598 needs 0.9V to reach 110dB SPL. A small portable amp should be sufficient, like the Fiio E6.

Brilliance... I posted that to my to my page so I could have it around at all times. I've read SO many articles on Impendance and they make sense but then reading posts like that makes it confusing!

Also... I'd spend a months Salary on headphones in a heart beat! Of course though I'd be sure all my bills are paid and my needs are met, but if you just want one good pair to have then I'd go for the top all at once

If your making a hobby out of this [like I plan to] then I'd go work your way up to higher end.

Lastly, you said your not an Audiophile, so if it makes you feel better why don't you save up for the pair you wont over the course of a few months! That way you get the joy of makeing a planned purchase! And you'll have money for the things you enjoying doing as hobbies!

May 2, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #42 of 53
Quote:
The diamond industry says an engagement ring should be two months salary.
Is that crazy or what?

... not really... if your gf likes Diamonds a whole lot them what's 2 months to see her smile :D
Quote:
You shouldnt base your ability to purchase something on a months salary, but if you can afford it or not, just dont get into debt and you will be fine.

This, I'm sure we can all agree this applies to pretty much any purchase you make. If you can't afford then don't get!

May 2, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #43 of 53
The problem is how many newbies are expecting a kind of "epiphany", when spending 200$ on a headphone especially the hd598.
It's just luxury at best, you won't have a "mind blowing" sound.
Instead you have something quite comfy, with "smooth" sound (too smooth can be boring).
Problems: First the hd598 is notorious for having a not so great bass.
And second not everyone love a laid back, slow sound.
Oh, and cheap building quality.
Seriously, if I was restricted on budget, I would be happy with a koss ksc75 (the main problem is comfort) , or just a porta pro.

May 3, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #45 of 53
I'd gladly spend a month's salary for a headphone I enjoy. My headphones have already paid back much more than what I've spent on them in terms of enjoyment. Certainly a much better buy than my mobile phone or my tablet which cost roughly the same, but haven't brought me the same value. I'd have done just as well with an ordinary Nokia and a cheap netbook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back