Is it worth it?
Sep 22, 2004 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Phyltre

New Head-Fier
I come here with a question.

I currently own a set of Senn HD 477's,which have served me well through several years of use (on the computer, portables, and my stereo) and which I have no complaints with. However, I know nothing about headphones, per say, so I'm wondering whether or not I should be aspiring to any higher level of listening pleasure. Are these headphones considered quality? Or is there a much better pair I can get for around $100? I ask because my experience with 'phones is so limited I don't really know to listen for, and I can't go trying out a bunch of different ones. (BTW, I'd prefer a closed or noise-cancelling design to others, since I'm at college and need silence (except the music, of course) both inside and outside the headphones.

So, are the 477's decent, in your opinion? And is there something "better" in the </= $100 range?

Sep 22, 2004 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 6
I'd advise you to get a different pair of headphones.
wink.gif
For under or around $100, you can get sennheiser hd 280 pros, audio-technica a500s, grados, etc. All these cans will give you a significant improvement in sound.

Sep 22, 2004 at 7:30 PM Post #3 of 6
if you are happy with it, turn around and run far far away from this financial black hole of a forum. if you actually don't enjoy your headphones and can't get into your music, maybe this is the place for you to kill your wallet
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 22, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 6
If your computer soundcard or receiver happens to have a decent headphone jack, then you will see a very big leap in quality with the Sennheiser HD580 (enough for non-headphiles to hear a big difference), which can go for as little as $100 used on these forums. Exactly how big the leap is depends on how decent your equipment is - newer portables and crappy soundcards often become system bottlenecks - no way to know for sure until you try.

Sep 22, 2004 at 7:51 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phyltre
I come here with a question.

I currently own a set of Senn HD 477's,which have served me well through several years of use (on the computer, portables, and my stereo) and which I have no complaints with. However, I know nothing about headphones, per say, so I'm wondering whether or not I should be aspiring to any higher level of listening pleasure. Are these headphones considered quality? Or is there a much better pair I can get for around $100? I ask because my experience with 'phones is so limited I don't really know to listen for, and I can't go trying out a bunch of different ones. (BTW, I'd prefer a closed or noise-cancelling design to others, since I'm at college and need silence (except the music, of course) both inside and outside the headphones.

So, are the 477's decent, in your opinion? And is there something "better" in the </= $100 range?

Avoid the noise cancelling phones... they aren't meant to be used in typical listening environment. They are only to be used for reducing rubling low frequency below 400Hz (in a jet or in a room with mechanical whirring noise). Canan phones or in-ear-monitors do work better than these noise cancelling phones.

This forum should come with the warning sign: Visting this site may be hazarous to your wallet and your attitude towards your current setup[/i]
wink.gif
. If you are happy with your current sound, then there is no need for upgrade/replacement. However if you ask for our humble opinion, you may not like what you hear. Yes there are better phones out there, but the important question is that do you really want to spend $100 to upgrade?

Sep 24, 2004 at 2:34 PM Post #6 of 6
Noise cancelling phones are in reality noise creating phones. These phones aside from pounding out your audio also sample external noise and then reproduce this noise with a phase shift of 180deg to your ears. It is this phase shifted noise that "actively" counters the external noise.

Unfortunately this means, at quieter or silent passage in your favorite track you will hear this insisting buzz.
mad.gif
Adding to that you will need to lug around some power source to electricfy the phased shift.
frown.gif

Which is why my MDR-NC11 is gathering dust and the ER-4 is gathering wax
eek.gif
Beside, the passive noise cancellation (and sonic-wise) of ER-4 is more superior by far to the MDR-NC11 on a full (or no) battery.
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back