Is it worth it to become an Audiophile (I fear its too late to turn back)
Dec 18, 2014 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

TheDragonGuy

100+ Head-Fier
So I have been here for only about a week and I have already decided on a headset and pretty set on an amp/dac combo. This looks like an expensive hobby but I already feel that the addictive audiophilism has entered me. Thanks a lot Head-Fi! I have been up until 4 or 5am the last few nights scouring the internet for a good deal on the headphone I want and learning about higher end audio. I think it's too late to go back. Is this normal? I guess I should just dive in and open my wallet and allow my ears to hear the glorious wonder of high end audio.

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 28
It's fun to research and shop around for new gear. That's part of the enjoyment of the hobby. But, the most important part is enjoying the music. Grab your entry-fi gear and see how you feel. At first, you're going to focus more on the gear than the music - once that excitement wears off, you'll care more about the music. 

This should appease you for awhile... my first buy lasted me 2 years. But then, you get a desire for a new sound and that excitement in searching comes back... it's cyclical depending on how well you control it 
tongue.gif

It's only as expensive as you allow it to be, so I don't think anyone should stay away from head-fi for reasons of cost alone: as long as you can be satisfied knowing you don't own the best gear.

Dec 18, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 28
I don't think I can hold off anymore. I feel compelled to buy my schitt tonight. Think ill get the Magni 2 Uber and a Modi 2 to use with a JVC HA-SZ2000. It was nice knowing you wallet and eardrums.

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #5 of 28
Honestly, what you will notice is what people call diminished returns. The reason I have this highlighted is because it is entirely subjective in this hobby, but not so much in others. The differences between headphones and amps gets less and less as you move up. Feel free to experiment and see where your comfort zone is. 

An example I can give you is my own - a few months ago, I got a chance to try out a set of STAX headphones (SR-407 with the SRM-252S Amp and HeadAmp Pico USB DAC). I only really had a my pair of SRH 840's to test with. To give you an idea how big of a difference in budget this is - 840s are half as expensive as the amp or the DAC and about a third of the 407's. 

I was expecting to be blown away. I was thinking that as soon as I put them on my head and started listening to music (all high quality FLAC recordings, don't worry) that the music would feel different. I was severely disappointed. In all honesty, they sounded like my pair of SRH 840s except that it was open. After about a week of owning the set and listening with it, I finally got a slight glimpse as to some of the differences between the headphones. These differences though were so minor that it made me lose interest in the high end side of this hobby. I realized that just because something is more expensive does not mean it's automatically better for everyone. For me, that setup was way too costly for the minor differences it provided.

I now have a pair of DT 880s and Mad Dog 3.2's with a Schiit M stack. I think I'm fairly set for the next few years now.

tl;dr Tried a high end set-up with high expectations. I was disappointed and now am sticking to stuff I am comfortable with financially and sonically.

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #6 of 28

An example I can give you is my own - a few months ago, I got a chance to try out a set of STAX headphones (SR-407 with the SRM-252S Amp and HeadAmp Pico USB DAC)

Aren't the SR-407's around $500? I've heard that headphones make the biggest difference, I wonder how an HD800 or LCD2 would have sounded with that system?

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 28
Well I ordered the headphones and a replacement earpad set. No going back now. My wallet sends it's regards. All in all I think i'll enjoy stepping up from my Turtle Beach XP500. Plus I really do like this community; especially the basshead community. Hopefully I won't regret spending like $500 on an audio setup.

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #8 of 28
  Well I ordered the headphones and a replacement earpad set. No going back now. My wallet sends it's regards. All in all I think i'll enjoy stepping up from my Turtle Beach XP500. Plus I really do like this community; especially the basshead community. Hopefully I won't regret spending like $500 on an audio setup.

You will get hours and hours and hours of use out of it, headphone systems are definitely worth the dough 
cool.gif

On that note, congrats! Let us know your impressions once you get 'em.

Oh and don't blow your eardrums out 
basshead.gif

I'm sure you've seen these types of vids before

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #9 of 28
Audiophile or not.  As long as you're enjoying whatever setup you have on your favorite tracks.........

Not to mention - stay within your spending means and all is good.

On a side note, I've been away from the forums for many many years but ultimately still found my way back to Head-fi.  

HEAD-FI FOR LIFE!

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #10 of 28
Most people only need 1 car, so most people only buy one car...
Most people only need 1 headphone.... but for some reason we end up buying hundreds of them.

Turn back while you still can.

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #11 of 28
  Aren't the SR-407's around $500? I've heard that headphones make the biggest difference, I wonder how an HD800 or LCD2 would have sounded with that system?

I am sure they would have sounded better. However, how much better? Is it worth it for me? I don't know. I probably won't know until I can actually afford to buy one of those!

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #12 of 28
It's both a Blessing and a Curse. Whichever one you wanna believe in is entirely up to you. It's not the most cheapest of hobbies, but it's nice to have em. If you can't have a Lambo, Bentley, etc This is kinda the next best thing to play with, lol

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #14 of 28
Thanks a lot head fi. I ordered some cans and the new schitt uber stack. Tis the season of spending I guess.

It's a good entry level Stack. I have the Modi too and give it time to burn in (i'm no believer but it did settle down and got a lot better than it was 2 months ago) It should serve you well in the Clarity and detail reproduction department. If you ever need some Warmth and Musicality, i'd suggest trying out the HRT MSii or the Meridian Explorer if you have the grub. But I find the Beresford Bushmaster to have awesome Bass with outstanding musicality for it's price!

Take these up one at a time and it becomes a nice hobby. Get it all at once and it's a curse and it'll eventually kill you. You'll gradually move on from Listening to your Music with your Audio Goods and after some time start to listen to your Audio Equipment with your Music, lol. Took me a few years to sink in.

Look after em well and Enjoy! =D

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #15 of 28
  Honestly, what you will notice is what people call diminished returns. The reason I have this highlighted is because it is entirely subjective in this hobby, but not so much in others. The differences between headphones and amps gets less and less as you move up. Feel free to experiment and see where your comfort zone is. 

An example I can give you is my own - a few months ago, I got a chance to try out a set of STAX headphones (SR-407 with the SRM-252S Amp and HeadAmp Pico USB DAC). I only really had a my pair of SRH 840's to test with. To give you an idea how big of a difference in budget this is - 840s are half as expensive as the amp or the DAC and about a third of the 407's. 

I was expecting to be blown away. I was thinking that as soon as I put them on my head and started listening to music (all high quality FLAC recordings, don't worry) that the music would feel different. I was severely disappointed. In all honesty, they sounded like my pair of SRH 840s except that it was open. After about a week of owning the set and listening with it, I finally got a slight glimpse as to some of the differences between the headphones. These differences though were so minor that it made me lose interest in the high end side of this hobby. I realized that just because something is more expensive does not mean it's automatically better for everyone. For me, that setup was way too costly for the minor differences it provided.

I now have a pair of DT 880s and Mad Dog 3.2's with a Schiit M stack. I think I'm fairly set for the next few years now.

tl;dr Tried a high end set-up with high expectations. I was disappointed and now am sticking to stuff I am comfortable with financially and sonically.

You totally explained it all right there. I went to a meet and tried HE400is, which were great, and cost about $500. I then went and tried $5000 Stax SR-009. It was very good, but it was nowhere near 10x better. I don't even know if it was twice as good. This, and I preferred the sound signature of the HE-400i. In other words, I got more enjoyment from a much cheaper headphone. I'm shooting for, this spring, a FiiO X1 to SE425 set up. $400 total and will last me until it breaks (and both are said to be very durable). $400 will hopefully last me 4+ years; that's $100 a year at most for something that I'll be able to use every day for as long as I want and will be close to perfect. I wouldn't be surprised if a $100 IEM (say the SE215 or MA750) with a Sansa Clip would both satisfy someone in SQ and last them a few years. The initial Head-Fi rush goes away after awhile, maybe after your first purchase. From then on, go to meets or try to find ways to listen to higher-end headphones. Decide for yourself if you're willing to spend more money for what you hear, but I wouldn't be surprised if one could be completely happy with a $150-$300 set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back