Is it worth it to become an Audiophile (I fear its too late to turn back)
Dec 20, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #16 of 28
As you go up in price, the headphones become less about being "X times better", and become much more about different flavors of good. When you go even higher toward the summit, it is really just different flavors of great. It is the reason that you can get 100 audiophiles together and have them listen to 10 different summit-fi headphones, and there is a very good bet every one of the 10 headphones will get at least one vote for "best" of the group. I think we have a lot of younger people that come here with their primary experience in purchasing being their PC. With a PC, it's primarily a numbers game - how many fps you can get in this or that video game, or how much data the drive can read/write per second clearly defines "best". But audio (and really most consumer purchases) are not like that. Two people can argue until he11 freezes over about whether Audeze, Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, Fostex, Stax, etc make the "best" headphones - but it's simply a meaningless concept, just as trying to decide whether Pepsi or Coke is "best" is meaningless. It is only meaningful with respect to a specific individual, not to all of humanity.

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #17 of 28
As you go up in price, the headphones become less about being "X times better", and become much more about different flavors of good. When you go even higher toward the summit, it is really just different flavors of great. It is the reason that you can get 100 audiophiles together and have them listen to 10 different summit-fi headphones, and there is a very good bet every one of the 10 headphones will get at least one vote for "best" of the group. I think we have a lot of younger people that come here with their primary experience in purchasing being their PC. With a PC, it's primarily a numbers game - how many fps you can get in this or that video game, or how much data the drive can read/write per second clearly defines "best". But audio (and really most consumer purchases) are not like that. Two people can argue until he11 freezes over about whether Audeze, Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, Fostex, Stax, etc make the "best" headphones - but it's simply a meaningless concept, just as trying to decide whether Pepsi or Coke is "best" is meaningless. It is only meaningful with respect to a specific individual, not to all of humanity.

I really thought you were onto something there until you had to go and ruin it all by saying "Pepsi or Coke". 
wink.gif

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #19 of 28
I really thought you were onto something there until you had to go and ruin it all by saying "Pepsi or Coke". :wink:

That's an easy one - I am addicted to Diet Coke. Every day on the way to work, I stop at the corner 7-11 for 44 ounces of icy goodness. I am also a connoisseur of soda fountains. I can tell the difference between the soda from my 7-11 and the 7-11 from the other side of town. I can also tell a 7-11 soda from a Stop n' Go soda. If they accidentally load the caffeine-free Diet Coke into the regular Diet Coke, I bust them after 1 sip. I can tell Diet Coke from Regular Coke just by the way it foams as it is filling the cup.

Instead of Golden Ears, I was given this superpower... :p

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #20 of 28
That's an easy one - I am addicted to Diet Coke. Every day on the way to work, I stop at the corner 7-11 for 44 ounces of icy goodness. I am also a connoisseur of soda fountains. I can tell the difference between the soda from my 7-11 and the 7-11 from the other side of town. I can also tell a 7-11 soda from a Stop n' Go soda. If they accidentally load the caffeine-free Diet Coke into the regular Diet Coke, I bust them after 1 sip. I can tell Diet Coke from Regular Coke just by the way it foams as it is filling the cup.

Instead of Golden Ears, I was given this superpower...
tongue.gif

Your avatar is my facial reaction upon reading that story... lol

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #21 of 28

Instead of Golden Ears, I was given this superpower...
tongue.gif

Haha
I used to be addicted to Diet Coke but I decided to stop drinking Aspartame... Now when I try a sip of it, the stuff tastes so bad.. and regular soda is way too sweet now :S

I can only put up with straight water these days 
blink.gif

Dec 23, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #25 of 28
Man these JVC SZ2000 cans are pretty nice. They really isolate well and sound pretty good even without an amp or dac (still hasn't shipped from schitt). They do seem to clamp pretty strong and have too shallow of headpads (already have better earpads though). Overall getting a real set of headphones seems like a good idea now that I can really enjoy the sounds.

Dec 23, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #26 of 28
  Man these JVC SZ2000 cans are pretty nice. They really isolate well and sound pretty good even without an amp or dac (still hasn't shipped from schitt). They do seem to clamp pretty strong and have too shallow of headpads (already have better earpads though). Overall getting a real set of headphones seems like a good idea now that I can really enjoy the sounds.

And SZ2000's cost less than the XP500's. Once you get your amp & dac, compare them again :)

What are you powering them with now?

Dec 23, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #27 of 28
Just right into the headphone port on the front of my PC. This sounds sooo much better and doesn't distort like the Turtle Beaches. I'm in love. I am already ready to swap out the earpads as these stock ones really are uncomfortable as my ears are touching. If they had fixed that and marketed it better this could have been an outstanding seller. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #28 of 28
So after only being on this site a few weeks I already have a nice pair of JVC HASZ2000 and the Schitt Uber Stack. The audio in my life is so much better sounding now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back