Is it worth it moving from D2+ to S9?
Feb 22, 2010 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

phandrew

500+ Head-Fier
I currently have a Cowon D2 flashed to D2+ and i am wondering if there is a sound quality improvement moving from D2+ to S9. I am also currently using UE TF10 IEM.

Thanks.

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #3 of 18
Well, the audio improvements are the BBE+ settings and gapless playback. Never having the D2, I can't tell you if it sounds any better though. Besides that, there's a whole bunch of stuff good for videos, like AMOLED and drag and drop videos.

I'm personally not a fan of Cowon's sound or their EQ (or EQs in general), but many of their UCIs did look pretty. Unless gapless or AMOLED videos are a must, I don't think it's worth buying the S9 for.

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 18
I had a D2 (which I added the D2+ firmware at one point) and also had purchased the S9 to compare them (Yuin PK1's and a Sennheiser HD600).

The S9 edges out the D2/D2+ in sound quality, imo. However, I mainly upgraded to the S9 for the AMOLED screen and the Xvid support for video playback - for just audio playback, I probably would have stuck with my D2/D2+.

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #6 of 18
there are number of people who prefer D2/D2+ and the other prefer S9, i can say fifty fifty
biggrin.gif

the fact are:
- D2 use a better DAC than S9
- D2 has more power output than S9
- S9 use a new bbe viva
- S9 is a newer player, more chance to give a better technology

for myself, i prefer S9 with bbe viva 2 on than D2/D2+ , its make the high smoother and less fatigue

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #9 of 18
i find the S9 a bit sharper, but the D2 is a much more open player, you can feel the differance in soundstage between both devices,

i have a D2, an S9 and a Clip
the clip is the most fun of the 3 players, the S9 is the better sounding of the 3, but i still like to use the D2 once in a while thanks to its versatility,

one thing, the Clip sounds good, but after a week using the D2, i went back to it, and it sounded bloated and muddy, i dont know, maybe its not all its cracked out to be,

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #11 of 18
S9... Always fighting with UI, with EQ, with Volume, with Batt Life (it hates flac -8 files) only eeks out 4 hours...

I want another D2. for a COWON. Plus you can rockbox it now.

atm i have an s:flo2.

Tho I really miss the D2. It was a fun little cupcake. The O2 was fun, and sounds much better than the S9 in my opinion. The S9 i cant say I liked in any way.

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by FLACvest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
S9... Always fighting with UI, with EQ, with Volume, with Batt Life (it hates flac -8 files) only eeks out 4 hours...

Do you even own a S9? I got hoards of hours of battery life from my S9 using flac -8. I only have to recharge like once a week. And there's a lot of worse things you can say about D2's UI than S9's, although of course you can rockbox the D2 so that's not an issue. Your ears must have problem if the S9 isn't loud enough for you, it's FAR louder than the Fuze, that's for sure.

To the TC: just get the S9. The D2's sound quality has always been lacking, with poor soundstage and far too bright sound. The S9 is a massive improvement from it.

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by phandrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1 person says D2 has better soundstage and another says the opposite. Now i am confused.

Cowon D2 has a small soundstage, to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back