Is it worth it getting an amp if....
Feb 20, 2008 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

davidr2287

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, is it worth it getting an amp for my portable setup if my dap does not have a line out? I have a sony nwz 818 which I will be pairing up with some triple fi's and er4-? soon. Will I hear an improvement on sound quality if I was to pair it up with a hornet,tomahawk, or pico and connecting the amp through the headphone-out of the sony, or will I just be getting an amplified signal since its not connected to a line out? Hope to hear some input from those who connect their amp to the headphone-out of their dap to see if they notice an improvement.

Thanks!

Feb 20, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #4 of 7
If you said to use with harder to drive cans,id say yeah,,but not with IEMs. Sometimes it makes a bit of difference, but not $500 worth of a difference out of a headphone jack to IEMs.

Feb 20, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #5 of 7
I defintely get imrpoved sound quality when using the headphone out of my
X5 or my D2 through my Tomahawk. You need to adjust the volume and settings properly though. There are plenty of posts on how to accomplish this.

Feb 20, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 7
Yup, I'm still waiting for my iPod LOD, but I gotta say that the iPod is significantly better with its headphone jack run into my amp than with my IEMs plugged straight into the iPod. Key differences I've noticed include bass extension & definition, vastly improved soundstaging, and a generally far more engaging presentation.

Would I buy a $500 amp to run out of the headphone jack? Probably not, but why not buy a new portable with a line-out and a cheaper amp (for less $$ all-in than the higher-end amps alone). Probably a better bang for the buck.

-G

Feb 20, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 7
IMHO you would be wasting money on an amp going mini to mini out of your DAP's headphone out. (Anything larger than a pair of PX-100's is not what I consider portable anyway!)

LOD's make a world of differnce on DAP to Portable amp applications but for sub $250. IEM's and not having LOD capability I would spend my extra dimes on better IEM's or media:wink:

Just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back