Is it worth it for me to buy a set of cans?
Aug 8, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #16 of 21
Well I wouldn't be buying them for at least a couple of months if I decided to get them.

For the headphones I worry more about leaking sound than isolation, if I want isolation I'd use my q-JAYS

Aug 8, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKHAVEN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would fit in the price range, block out a lot of sound, and be one hell of a bump up.

Denons don't have a lot of sound isolation. You'll be able to hear stuff going on around you without too much effort.

However, the plus side is that they don't have much sound leakage, which is great for a dorm-room phone.

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denons don't have a lot of sound isolation. You'll be able to hear stuff going on around you without too much effort.

However, the plus side is that they don't have much sound leakage, which is great for a dorm-room phone.

What you just said is a bit of a contradiction. Sound spreads out in all directions, if it can get in, it can get out. There is no such thing as poor isolation, but good leakage.

Aug 9, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKHAVEN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What you just said is a bit of a contradiction. Sound spreads out in all directions, if it can get in, it can get out. There is no such thing as poor isolation, but good leakage.

It might seem like it, but not exactly. Due to the nature of the human auricula and its interaction with the design of a headphone pad (be it circumaural or supraaural), the magnitude of the sound in a given direction is frequently altered. In the case of some closed cans, like my ES7 (and in my experience the D2000, D1000), on a relative basis more sound is admitted than is released/leaked (i.e. I can clearly hear someone a few inches away from me while my music is playing at a fair volume such that I can still enjoy my music, in which situation they wouldn't be able to hear my music).

Of course if you listen extremely loud then it might not make a difference..

But it doesn't really matter! I think the AH-D2000 would make fantastic dorm-room headphones.

Aug 9, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It might seem like it, but not exactly. Due to the nature of the human auricula and its interaction with the design of a headphone pad (be it circumaural or supraaural), the magnitude of the sound in a given direction is frequently altered. In the case of some closed cans, like my ES7 (and in my experience the D2000, D1000), on a relative basis more sound is admitted than is released/leaked (i.e. I can clearly hear someone a few inches away from me while my music is playing at a fair volume such that I can still enjoy my music, in which situation they wouldn't be able to hear my music).

Of course if you listen extremely loud then it might not make a difference..

But it doesn't really matter! I think the AH-D2000 would make fantastic dorm-room headphones.

Interesting...

I agree with the AH-D2000s, they are great

Not to hijack the thread, but have do you know how isolation and leakage are on the D5000s? They are the same earcup but different backing, no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back