Is it worth it for me to buy a set of cans?
Aug 8, 2008 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Bobby2131

Head-Fier
I've spent almost 200 dollars on my q-JAYS and I love them but I've always been intrigued by the idea of having a great pair of headphones. I wonder how much better they would sound than what I have now.

Another thing that worries me is I'm going to college so there's always the issue of sound leaking from open headphones which seem to be the best.

Aug 8, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #3 of 21
Ugh DT770s. College isn't as noisy as you think. I had 595s in the dorm and my roommate never complained about the noise. No one was ever loud enough to make me regret my purchase, I just closed the door. Problem solved.

Also buy my sextetts. (glances at signature) They're closed.

Aug 8, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also buy my sextetts. (glances at signature) They're closed.

Technically, they're semi-open
redface.gif

Aug 8, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Technically, they're semi-open
redface.gif

I guess that piece of cloth paper doesn't do too much eh?
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #6 of 21
If you're ever planning on studying/getting work done in a library (sound-leakage is an issue), or a general campus meeting area (you would need good isolation in spots like dining halls and other noisy tabled areas), closed phones with good isolation is a great idea.

If you're only going to use them in your room, open phones should be fine unless your roomies/neighbors blast music or otherwise annoy the crap out of you
tongue.gif

Aug 8, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #8 of 21
Well, it was only in my room that I worried about isolation cause I wouldn't take any full sized headphones out of my room, that's what my q-JAYS are for.

But is it really worth it to buy another set of 200 dollar headphones? Is the sound I get from the Sennheiser HD595 (I almost bought those instead of the q-JAYS) be worth spending that money? If it's just gonna be a little better than I'm not gonna do it because there's tons of other stuff I could spend that money on.

Aug 8, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby2131 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it was only in my room that I worried about isolation cause I wouldn't take any full sized headphones out of my room, that's what my q-JAYS are for.

But is it really worth it to buy another set of 200 dollar headphones? Is the sound I get from the Sennheiser HD595 (I almost bought those instead of the q-JAYS) be worth spending that money? If it's just gonna be a little better than I'm not gonna do it because there's tons of other stuff I could spend that money on.

Buy the HD595s, they are worth it. There is a difference and it isn't small. Besides that, I think the 595s are one of the biggest bang-for-the-buck cans on the market right now.

Aug 8, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #11 of 21
Unamped at that price, the Beyer DT880, Grado 225, and Senn HD25-II are all better options for MUSIC. Bang for the buck wise, the Denon 1001k's at $90 are better for the price and arguably at the same price. The Sr 60/80 is comprable SQ just different presentation at 1/3 to 1/2 the price. Other than comfort, the 595's were in my opinion, as my first headphone I bought here at head-fi - underwhelming and average.

Aug 8, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unamped at that price, the Beyer DT880, Grado 225, and Senn HD25-II are all better options for MUSIC. Bang for the buck wise, the Denon 1001k's at $90 are better for the price and arguably at the same price. The Sr 60/80 is comprable SQ just different presentation at 1/3 to 1/2 the price. Other than comfort, the 595's were in my opinion, as my first headphone I bought here at head-fi - underwhelming and average.

I agree. The HD595 was not my cup of tea -- I feel it is seriously overrated.

But full-size headphones in general are good because they're a drastic difference from IEMs. Two totally different experiences.

Also, I don't think isolation is as important as a can that won't leak too much noise outside (rather than having to seal you away from the environment).

Aug 8, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've never tried any Beyers, so I can't speak to those, but I've tried the Grado line through the 325s and love them. My point was, that he's in a good price range to split his efforts between a dac/amp and a nice set of budget headphones. I think it would do him better in the long run than simply blowing his whole budget on cans alone. I personally liked the HD595 and if you look around carefully, it can be gotten for below $150, which I think makes it a decent bargain. The retail price of $250 is not reasonable at all, however. The reason I leaned toward Senns is that they are more versatile across music genres than the Grados and since the OP didn't specify, I didn't want to go there. I love the SRs, fantastic headphones for rock. If he listens primarily to rock, then I'd say go no further than Grado. The Denons are nice too.

Aug 8, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #14 of 21
If it were me, I would look into picking up a pair of Denon AH-D2000 refurbished from Amazon for $200. From the looks of it, the two that are available are just openboxed items and are directly from Amazon, not a third party. Their closed full sized don't require an amp and are getting rave review from Head-fiers.

Aug 8, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kejar31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it were me I would look into picking up a pair of Denon AH-D2000 refurbished from Amazon for 200.

That would fit in the price range, block out a lot of sound, and be one hell of a bump up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back