Is it worth hundreds of dollars for upgraded headphone cables?
Sep 21, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #76 of 287

Quote:
You paid $380.00 for your headphone cables.

There is one born every minute.

You say the difference these cables give is not night and day "because they dwell in the world of nuances".

Well you were easily conned out of $380.

I've listened to music through hi fi systems for over thirty years.

Lets look at these "improvements".

You write that "The single stroke of a string had a longer decay".

Well that is measurable. If the decay of is longer than it used to be, then this would be additional waves at the end of the wave form.

So, you are saying that if a signal is applied to one side of the cable then at the other side new additional waves have appeared prolonging decay.

This is ridiculous.

I think that in a blind listening test you would not be able to hear the difference between the stock cable and this $380 one.

Don't knock it till you try it.  If you're just going to talk trash about something you've never used, then how is your opinion more valid than someone who has the product and is happy with it?

Sep 21, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #77 of 287
'Don't knock it until you have tried it'. Following your own advice why don't you shoot yourself in the foot? There are loads of things that it is not a very good idea to do and we do not need to try them ourselves to find out why.

Sep 21, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #78 of 287
Heh what an analogy. How about this, make a 20 foot 30 awg headphone extension cable, then a 20 foot 21 awg headphone extension cable, then compare the difference. This is the sort of experiment I did many times to get more confident about my beliefs in cables, something I see very few pro-cablers and very few anti-cablers do. I suggest both parties try, it is not as bad as shooting yourself in the foot and more educational.

Sep 21, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #79 of 287
I may have already doe something similar to your suggestion haloxt. I bought a Sony headphone extension cable that did sound strangled and I had to turn the volume up to get a decent sound. It was very thin and tangled easily. Since it only cost £4 I then ditched it in favour of a £5 extension cable from ThatCable. I could turn the volume back down again and it did not tangle. I could get the same SQ out of both cables, but was happier with one over the other, so had psychoacoustic reasons to prefer it and there was a slight change in volume, which made it appear there was actually a difference.

I have no idea what the differences, if any in the awg of either cable.

Sep 21, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #80 of 287
As I am not on the anti-cable side of the fence this is the main issue I see and it is clearly offensive yet allowed to exist on these forums:

Namely, people are being told their experiences are not true.

"You cannot hear a difference in cables as it is scientifically insignificant"*

*given properly made cables of course

Am I alone here?

Sep 21, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #81 of 287

Quote:
I may have already doe something similar to your suggestion haloxt. I bought a Sony headphone extension cable that did sound strangled and I had to turn the volume up to get a decent sound. It was very thin and tangled easily. Since it only cost £4 I then ditched it in favour of a £5 extension cable from ThatCable. I could turn the volume back down again and it did not tangle. I could get the same SQ out of both cables, but was happier with one over the other, so had psychoacoustic reasons to prefer it and there was a slight change in volume, which made it appear there was actually a difference.

I have no idea what the differences, if any in the awg of either cable.

Wait, you're saying that you heard a change in volume and yet you don't claim that there is a sonic difference? A change in volume is a pretty significant difference, either your other cable was broken, or you're a closet believer. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #82 of 287

Quote:
As I am not on the anti-cable side of the fence this is the main issue I see and it is clearly offensive yet allowed to exist on these forums:

Am I alone here?

No, us anti-cablers get this all the time. I don't find it offensive to be told that I am wrong and I do not intend to offend when I say that others are wrong. If I do offend I am sorry, but I am not going to stop saying that it is wrong to claim SQ properties in cables that do not exist, in the way they claim they exist.

Quote:
Wait, you're saying that you heard a change in volume and yet you don't claim that there is a sonic difference? A change in volume is a pretty significant difference, either your other cable was broken, or you're a closet believer. 
biggrin.gif

I think that the reason why people believe that there is a SQ difference in cables is because of psychoacoustics and slight volume differences caused by resistance. They are real reasons as to why cables do sound different. But, if you remove psychoacoustics and adjust volume then cable differences disappear, so no SQ difference anymore.

Those reasons for cable differences are not very good ones to base an industry on that charges huge amounts of money and makes ridiculous claims. If the pro-cable side stated clearly that the reasons to buy an 'audiophile cable' are; it will make you feel good and may have an effect on volume (which you volume control can also do), that would be fine.

Sep 21, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #83 of 287
Quote:

No, us anti-cablers get this all the time. I don't find it offensive to be told that I am wrong and I do not intend to offend when I say that others are wrong. If I do offend I am sorry, but I am not going to stop saying that it is wrong to claim SQ properties in cables that do not exist, in the way they claim they exist.

I think that the reason why people believe that there is a SQ difference in cables is because of psychoacoustics and slight volume differences caused by resistance. They are real reasons as to why cables do sound different. But, if you remove psychoacoustics and adjust volume then cable differences disappear, so no SQ difference anymore.

Those reasons for cable differences are not very good ones to base an industry on that charges huge amounts of money and makes ridiculous claims. If the pro-cable side stated clearly that the reasons to buy an 'audiophile cable' are; it will make you feel good and may have an effect on volume (which you volume control can also do), that would be fine.

Anti-cablers get told their experiences are wrong? Can you give me an example?

Countless posts where people are told that they are not actually hearing sonic differences in cables by others who cannot experience that for themselves to verify and automatically assume that the person is hearing psychoacoustics or whatever was what I was talking about.

That's okay though? Seems quite ignorant and offensive to me.

If everything else you say is true I agree, it's a snake oil business to be sure.

But personally I have experienced a change in sound, so even if that might be in the minority, the rule does not always apply and therefor there is no black and white.

Sep 21, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #84 of 287

Quote:

Am I alone here?

I know that it is very annoying for it to be suggested that your experiences or not true
smily_headphones1.gif

Your experience could very well be valid, I am not denying that for one minute.

What I am suggesting is that it would be great if it could be tried out in a well controlled blind ABX test.

Sep 21, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #85 of 287

Quote:
Quote:

Countless posts where people are told that they are not actually hearing sonic differences in cables by others who cannot experience that for themselves to verify and automatically assume that the person is hearing psychoacoustics or whatever was what I was talking about.

That's okay though? Seems quite ignorant and offensive to me.

If everything else you say is true I agree, it's a snake oil business to be sure.

But personally I have experienced a change in sound, so even if that might be in the minority, the rule does not always apply and therefor there is no black and white.

Anti-cablers are told that their experiences are wrong for reasons such as they do not have good hearing and that blind testing is bogus.

The electrical properties of cables are well known and nothing has been shown where any electrical property can be equated with SQ . Blind testing finds that people cannot back up their SQ claims for cables. So, if we rule out the actual cable as being capable of making a SQ difference, we are left with the listener being the reason why there is a SQ difference.

Hence I do think that 'audiophile cables' are snake oil.

Sep 21, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #86 of 287

Quote:

Hi Permagrin

Well the group you identify as "anti-cablers" are continuously being told by the "golden ears" that they can't hear differences in sound because their hearing is not very good
smily_headphones1.gif

I think that cables might make a difference but the anecdotal reporting of differences is no good. What is required is well controlled blind ABX testing to counter auto-suggestion.

This almost never happens, the hi fi industry does not much like this approach (I wonder why?).

There is one excellent blind ABX test performed by Jason Victor Serinus. This is performed on mains cables. He tests the hugely expensive Nordost Valhalla cables against generic "came in the box" cables in a very high resolution system. All mains cables in the system where changed between the Valhallas and the generic cables, so an "upgrade" of 1000s of $/£/€ was tried out. No difference is found between the cables in the test.

You can read about it here:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/feature-article-blind-test-power-cords-12-2004.html

Jason Serinus was himself an advocate of the Valhalla mains cables and conducted the test believing it would vindicate them as being worthwhile.

I would love to see similar blind ABX tests for interconnects and other hi fi components.

I would also love to see the many reviewers who endlessly report upon differences between cables and other hi fi item participate in such tests. I have great respect for Jason Serinus, unlike the other "golden ears" he put his money where his mouth was and participated in the test himself. In the test he could hear no difference whatsoever.

Needless to say the Nordost Valhalla mains cables are still on sale today and people still pay vast sums of money for them.

Retailers for the Nordost Valhallas do not include a link to the Jason Serinus test.

Sep 21, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #87 of 287
Loads of blind testing here, including your link p a t r i c k

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/486598/testing-audiophile-claims-and-myths

Sep 21, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #88 of 287

Quote:
Don't knock it till you try it.  If you're just going to talk trash about something you've never used, then how is your opinion more valid than someone who has the product and is happy with it?

The individual reports the impossible.

He is also very rude indeed to those that wish to say that he is describing the impossible.

If you wish to believe in the impossible and magic then it is much cheaper to simply buy Harry Potter books than it is to spend a small fortune on hi fi cables.

With the Harry Potter books you get what you pay for, a good story which doesn't claim to be true.

To be honest I do believe cables can make a difference to the sound but it is not very great and the budget end of the cable market is the best place to buy them.

I think that the expensive cables sell by auto-suggestion and so I don't think anecdotal statement of benefits are very useful.

What is required is well controlled blind ABX testing.

Maybe the results of this might well show that the expensive cables make a difference. However it is worth noting that none of the expensive cable manufacturers ever conduct these tests. I wonder why?

If the hi fi reviewing people would conduct blind ABX tests instead of writing those long tedious adulations to expensive equipment they would be doing us all a favour.

I think that the majority, in fact probably all, the expensive cable upgrades are just one huge rip off along with many other rip offs in hi fi.

Sep 21, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #89 of 287
I've previously read that myths thread, thank you though. It obviously didn't stop me from spending my money on expensive cables, although as I don't really have any debt or other liabilities, I can afford this hobby (mid-fi at least).

I was actually quite surprised at the improvement in sound with my cable switch so maybe the stock cable wasn't actually up to snuff. Either way I don't really care. I enjoy music now probably more than ever and percentage-wise it isn't that much compared to my total "investment".

No, I have a few of my own bridges thank you. And yes they are for sale, how did you know?

Quote:
If the hi fi reviewing people would conduct blind ABX tests instead of writing those long tedious adulations to expensive equipment they would be doing us all a favour.  
I think that the majority, in fact probably all, the expensive cable upgrades are just one huge rip off along with many other rip offs in hi fi.

And without this site and others we would perhaps be truly in the dark about which gear would be suitable for us. If you're referring to a specific website I've got a pretty good guess which one.

It is an enjoyable hobby at least. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #90 of 287

Quote:
After taking part in quite a number of threads as these, I've come to fully agree with you P a t r i c k where this 'autosuggestion' thing is concerned.  It's huge in audio, no doubt.

Unfortunately, the phenomenon seems to be only seriously considered when talking about cables and not about any other gear.  Of late, I'm finding myself to have very little interest in the discussion of nuances between pieces of gear because of subjective differences in appreciation, nicely adorned by the phenomenon of autosuggestion.  Your amp will surely sound a lot better after reading a huge thread that raves about it and compares it to many worthy contenders.  
cool.gif

On this background, I've failed to hear a difference between different transport options that I've been exploring.  Many others hear big differences, of course.

So, I'm at home with my HD650's and am getting a tad annoyed with the inflexibility and weight of my Silver Dragon cable.  I switch back to the stock since it's lighter and more flexible. Good grief... it looks like I need some further detoxing yet.  The Silver Dragon is <gulp> ... making a difference.  What a frustration!!  Thought I'd share this here anyway even though it's not scientific.  Just an experience.

Hi aimlink

Yes I do agree that auto-suggestion plays a huge part in audio.

I think there is a very big history to this issue and I keep meaning to write an article or something, but I am hugely busy at the moment with other projects.

I remember before this "subjectivist" period began. I had my first "cool" hi fi in the 70s. In those days tests on hi fi were simply an electronic analysis of the equipment, complete with graphs and a description of the quality of the casing construction. That was it!

Well, the 80s came along and so did the new "subjectivism". This was listening to the equipment and writing a review based on that experience. Boy did I welcome this! What a relief it was.

The question of auto-suggestion lay behind this change and so some British magazines of that time introduced new ways of review which I felt were a good compromise and presented a solution.

The best example was one magazine which would review several different similarly priced components at one time. These would be reviewed by a panel made up of the magazine journalist who would write comments on each without seeing the products being reviewed. I imagine they took a day over it and all sat in the same room which the gear was switched out of sight. This wasn't a blind ABX test by any means, it wasn't a "spot the difference" contest, it was merely a way of providing a review of the equipment without being subject to preconceptions about each item of equipment.

The article in the magazine would then be written up by the editor, most likely, who would use quotes from the notes of the reviewing panel.

So we can see that there are ways to review audio equipment which accounts to some extent for auto-suggestion.

However none of these reviewing methods are in use today.

The audio review today is simple one person who writes about his listening experiences with a given product. He or she makes no account of any auto-suggestion on their behalf. The review is presented as "subjective" but this is not even subjective because the reviewer is so unwittingly influenced by his or her own preconceptions about the product, the sales talk about the product etc.

People who want to listen to their music with the best possible fidelity in reproduction have been done a massive disservice by these reviews which for the most part are simply adulations of the products.

I believe that if the reviewers were to subject themselves to blind ABX listening tests then we could see just how good their "golden ears" really are!

I think that if audio magazines returned to blind group testing, as has happened in the past, the we might well see some surprising results.

Although these issues arise in threads about cables, I think this of course applies to all audio equipment.

To be honest I believe that large sections of the so-called "hi end" gear that is being made and sold is, to be frank, just rubbish and easily bested by modestly priced well designed gear.

Appalling distortion is now being described by the reviewers as "sound signature" when it appears in very expensive equipment, but the same distortion in cheap equipment is not elavated in this way.

If people wish to buy equipment with such problems then they can of course simply buy very cheaply made equipment which will deliver that same experience as the very expensive stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

So, to come back to auto-suggestion directly. I believe that reviews that do not account for auto-suggestion are invalid and the reader should discount them as being of no worth. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back