Is it worth $20 more?
Apr 27, 2006 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pinball

New Head-Fier
I am stuck between purchasing the Audio-Technica ATH-A500 and the ATH-A700. Right now I can buy the A500 new for $109 shipped and the A700 for $129 shipped. Is it worth the extra $20 for the A700?

I know this question has been asked before (I actually searched) but there has not been any real answer.

What does everybody think?

Apr 27, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 9
It is all according to your primary usage! Games - there is nothing to be gained by going above A500 you will hardly do better at $100 level). If you're more interested in music - extend your budget for something else......do you really want/need closed cans for music?

Apr 27, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #5 of 9
I'm really disappointed with my A700s for music. Too laid back for my tastes. If you want a lively can look elsewhere.

Apr 28, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #6 of 9
thank god. i thought it was just me. ive only heard the a900, a700, a500, and my etys, and i was really disapointed in the sound. And there really was no difference between the three. i was about to get some a900s because they are the only ones readily available in where i live in okinawa, but when i heard it, i decided to stick with my etys.

Apr 28, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #7 of 9
I should really note that these are awesome for watching movies out of my A2 and playing games. Nothing beats them for that, but for music it's a little iffy. I perfer my PortaPros for music IMO.

Apr 28, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #8 of 9
Having heard the A500 and A700 in person for a bit of time, I can tell you that as far as diminishing returns go, spending $20 for a bit more accurate treble (not an audiophile here, but it sounded cleaner), slightly more bass, and cooler looking (personal preference)... is not the worst of purchases. Of course you could also spend a bit more and get the A900... but then again this kind of thinking is bad, very bad. A better choice would be to just stay with the A500 truth be told, as they are admittedly, not great headphones for music (movies on the other hand... quite fun).

Apr 28, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #9 of 9
Comparing the Koss usual suspects (KSC-75/35/PortaPros/etc) to the A900s is preposterous.

I LOVE my PortaPros for portable listening, but the A900s out of a Marantz 2238 (for instance) are in an entirely different league as the PPs (not surprisingly).

Soundstage is a completely different universe, the bass is deeper and not boomy, the highs are toned down to where they should be... no offense, but if anyone think the PPs are preferable to the A900s for music, they need to get their ears cleaned or checked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back